Notices

First AA meeting in a year

Old 07-03-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA meeting in a year

I had been staying away because im shy. My meeting is in a rough area, I felt its quite intimidating being around seasoned, street wise alcoholics who'd been around the block a few times. Things is, they seem like good people but i still felt really anxious that they'd see right through me as soft and sheltered, with few war stories to tell haha. I left immediately as soon as the meeting ended. I feel i wont ever be able to pluck up the courage to talk to them, ive never connected with anyone in my life. Just the thought of navigating my way around a social situation, having the right ettiquette and thinking of appropriate responses to peoples small talk is emotionally exhausting to me. I have no confidence and being tall im conspicuous.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Social situations tire me out, I'm supposed to be having great time and I'm thinking when can I go home. Used to do therapy, should go back. Glad you are on SR sharing.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ive been referred to CBT therapy, no idea when itll be but looking foward to it. I actually enjoyed the meeting, listening to the chair and other colourful characters there. There was no pressure on me during its course, its the before and after that i find hard...