SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   I'm Freakin' Weird. lol (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/241593-im-freakin-weird-lol.html)

DrivenHeart85 11-21-2011 11:01 AM

I'm Freakin' Weird. lol

I get anxiety when riding in the car with others on road trips about there not being gas station around to stop for restroom breaks. This is absolutely absurd because I don't have any bladder or "other" problems and also because this weird anxiety trip didn't start until my alcohol addiction really kicked in. I think it's some sort of strangely manifested alcohol related anxiety problem. Although it didn't stop even last time after 8 months of not drinking.

I think it also started because I was hanging out with an alcoholic ex who'd get so drunk and messed up that he'd **** himself while sleeping. I guess in my head that's the epitome of social catastrophe if you lost control of "those functions". And now I have this insane fear that it'll happen to me when I'm riding in a car with people. And even worse, when I get anxious, then I actually do have to go to the bathroom. Other people think I'm off my rocker because even 15 minutes trips with them in the car freaks me out.

I don't know how to stop this paranoid, idiotic anxiety thought pattern...I mean, you can't not ride in cars with people for the rest of your life. lol For long trips I usually drug myself with dramamine to fall asleep so I don't freak out. It's just exhausting to carry this weird, embarrassing anxiety around with me. Any ideas how to make it stop???

Muunray 11-21-2011 02:20 PM

That was my number 1 anxiety with driving/leaving the house..is there a bathroom wherever I am going and along the way there. I have IBS, sometimes severe, from having an accident in public, to ending up in E.R. with the pain...so my reality is I have to deal with it. Just the thought of taking a car trip would start me panicking and my stomach churning. I absolutely dreaded doing the most simple things like going to the grocery store, or taking my kids to some event.
Luckily, both my IBS and anxiety have improved since I quit drinking.
Until then, I had to self talk myself a lot to get anything done. Including reminding myself that there are a lot of people with a lot worse and burdensome disabilities or illnesses out there and they don't let it slow them down.
Honestly there are some stores I still avoid because I know they don't have readily available facilities..so they lose my business.
Again, it's only been since I quit drinking that my anxiety and bodily functions improved. I don't know how long you have been drinking, but I was drinking a long time and heavily. Someone once told me to give myself a month for every year I drank before beginning to even think my body has repaired itself. That's a few years for me...and I continue to see improvement at the end of this first year.

Sarah85 01-03-2012 10:20 PM

I have a sort of similar problem. After a quit about 7 months ago, I got really dehydrated and had a panic attack. Ever since then I've been terrified of going anywhere without a few water bottles. Last month, I went on a 4 1/2 hour road trip with my boss and two friends for a funeral and was so scared that I'd get dehydrated because I didn't want to drink too much water and make them stop frequently for me. Then the more I thought about it, the more I became scared I'd have an accident in front of these people. Seems silly now, but it sure caused some anxiety that weekend...

Vanilla28 01-04-2012 11:02 AM

omg im the saaame way! i always think im suddenly going to get one of those upset stomachs and have to go, and there wont be a bathroom. so im 'weird' like you are. lol