Notices

Culture shock

Old 10-15-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Culture shock

I am new in recovery again!!!! and determined to make it work. I am in a weird situation as I moved to this area from Portland, Oregon to care for my father. I did but he passed away on me the begining of June. I am now stuck in cowtown where it seems hyperaggressive driving and rigid gender roles are the norm until April when my lease is up. I hate it here and want to take a baseball bat to these football crazed animals now I am the aggressive one. ARRRRG!!!!!! All this from a pleasant, laid back, green and bike friendly
place. I am resentful of all these backwards a holes and it is getting to me.
What to do until April?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sort of in the same boat. I moved from the PNW (Oly) to an awesome permaculture community in North Carolina and now I am in...Connecticut, which I can't even explain how weird and different it is.

I dunno if I have any advice. I am just working on projects that interest me now (gardening, making art, knitting, bike riding). Just trying to learn to enjoy being by myself. I'm starting to like myself again so it's getting easier. I still get really lonely and feel out of place sometimes.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

there are good AA meetings at UNITY Temple on the Plaza in KC. with pretty cool,progressive types! .its not that bad here!

of course i went to university in Bellingham WA and couldnt wait to get out of there! Now i try to be happy wherever I am. Good thing you werent here when the Chiefs were really good,it would have driven you quite mad!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PioneertoNow View Post
I am new in recovery again!!!! and determined to make it work. I am in a weird situation as I moved to this area from Portland, Oregon to care for my father. I did but he passed away on me the begining of June. I am now stuck in cowtown where it seems hyperaggressive driving and rigid gender roles are the norm until April when my lease is up. I hate it here and want to take a baseball bat to these football crazed animals now I am the aggressive one. ARRRRG!!!!!! All this from a pleasant, laid back, green and bike friendly
place. I am resentful of all these backwards a holes and it is getting to me.
What to do until April?
LOL Same here PioneertoNow. I moved from the laid back life of Alaska to Maryland where so many seem to be in a hurry, so many here smoke, so many here eat horribly, and most of all so many here are SO NEGATIVE! I hate it. Hubby hates it. Even our son who was born in Alaska but barely remembers life there hates it.
We hate our jobs, we hate our lives here and we're miserable. Only light at the end of the tunnel is hubby is retiring from the military in 2 years. Then we can move back.