SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   help me (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/233735-help-me.html)

bluenena 08-09-2011 07:51 AM

help me

I lost control yesterday after two years on no panic and I let it back in now I am having a hard time getting it under control. I hate this feeling and how it interfears with my live... I took off work yesterday but can't do that today... have to maintain I can't lose my job I have three kids to support. going through a divorce and feeling rejected is what triggered it. I hate feeling needy just want to go on with my life like normal... please need encouragement and pryers ....

MycoolFitz 08-09-2011 08:00 AM

Hi. I'm diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and have been subject to panic attacks as well. I have pretty much got things under control right now, kind of like remission. Don't know when or if things wil flare up again, I try not to dwell on it--it makes me anxious. I might suggest that you not struggle or fight with the anxiety too much, I think it tends to worsen things. Just trying to breathe and focus on life going on around you just in the moment, contemplating what in this very moment is there to be anxious about. Anxiety will lessen its grip and move on at some point, acknowledge it but try not to feed it. Are you seeing a professional concerning your anxiety? I've worked in the past with my doctor, a psychiatrist and a support group. Currently I am using meditation, diet and exercise plus no alcohol or drugs and SR. Thanks for the post and I wish you peace.

Opivotal 08-09-2011 08:12 AM

Sending prayers your way bluenena. I'm sorry your having a rough time. Maybe a trip to the Doctor can help you out? You have a lot on your plate right now. It does get overwhelming. Try and distract yourself ....you will get through this! Hang on!

:ghug3
Best Wishes To You!

bluenena 08-09-2011 02:40 PM

I am still on my celexa and my dr. gave me some xanex yesterday I am taking it. I do feel a little better today. Still having terrible adrenaline rushes. But I an listening to some hypnosis on my iphone and breathing through it. Trying to take it a minute at a time.
:Meditate:

Smile123 08-09-2011 04:12 PM

Praying for you! I'm glad you saw your doctor and are doing a little better. Sometimes I find if I have high anxiety it helps to do vigorous exercise of some type followed by a hot bath. Hope you get to feeling better. Anxiety sucks!

bluenena 08-09-2011 07:12 PM

I hate this feeling.

lonelystar 08-09-2011 07:19 PM

I get panic attacks although they have calmed down a bit, it used to be so bad that walking down the street I would just freeze unable myself to move. I find that reading and writing for me are good ways to free myself of anxiety i have built up and deep breaths along the way , oh and recently i found yoga to be a great help , hope you feel better

bigguyslimm 08-09-2011 07:34 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety. I quit drinking 55 days ago, and have had some bad anxiety and panic attacks. I try my hardest to exercise and eat better. Some days it helps others it doesn't. I've learned that the best thing to do during panic is to try and calm yourself. I myself had a bad problem of feeding into it, and working myself up more. It's hard, but know your not alone. Panic attacks scared me a lot. I hated getting told it's all in my mind. I'm slowly starting to realize that it is. That helps to ease it sometimes. Best of luck to you and stay strong. Just remember that your bigger than anxiety and panic and that your in control.

bblackbirdflyy 08-09-2011 07:57 PM

bluenena I am going through the very same thing. I have not had a panic attack for a year. yet here they are. thank you very much a**hole. (my ex)

nandm 08-09-2011 08:10 PM

I hate panic or anxiety attacks. I had one in the pharmacy today while talking to the pharmacist. I was overwhelmed and felt like I had to run out of there and just leave everything. But I stuck it out. Still felt miserable when it was done and I could leave but at least I hung in there and did not let it force me to stop doing something that needed to be done. I have klonopin that is prescribed by my physician for such cases but did not have it with me it was in my car. So when I got to my car I took one. It did help somewhat and I was able to drive home.

I can definitely relate to your struggle. As others have said before taking time for yourself such as exercising, taking a warm bath, listening to calming music, reading positive material, watching an uplifting movie, etc....all can help with reducing anxiety. Hang in there you are not alone

bluenena 08-09-2011 08:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies it always helps to remember I'm not alone and there are people out there who understand. I made it though the whole day at work today. Tomorrow is the first day of school for the kids I am worried about the morning being stressful but know worrying won't make it better. I have to remember I cannot control everything. And to take it an hour at na time and not worry about anything beyond this hour.

bblackbirdflyy 08-09-2011 08:54 PM

It does help doesnt it? I'm freaking out because my hubby cheated on me repeatedly for god know how long and im just now finding out from his gf of 3 months...

I wish my kids were here. I could snuggle them and let everything slip away, maybe find some sleep. I lie in bed and all that comes are the lies he has been telling me. sigh.

an hour at a time huh? how about a minute at a time.

bluenena 08-10-2011 09:24 AM

At work trying to maintain. I have to keep it together I can't fall apart PLEASE pray for me. Please pray that this will pass soon and I can go back to living my life as normal. Pray that I can let go and not feel I have to be in control. PLEASE

nandm 08-10-2011 11:37 AM

My prayers for both you and all those that suffer from mental health illnesses

Smile123 08-10-2011 12:34 PM

Praying for both of you. Admiring your courage as I know anxiety is crippling and you are both trudging ahead.:c016:

bluenena 08-11-2011 08:57 AM

I just had to take a half a xanex trying not to beat myself up for having to take it. I know that's what I have it for... Trying to be positive and get through this. I needs some incouragment.

MycoolFitz 08-11-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by bluenena (Post 3067392)
I just had to take a half a xanex trying not to beat myself up for having to take it. I know that's what I have it for... Trying to be positive and get through this. I needs some incouragment.

Hey, I've done it myself. Its prescribed for a purpose. However, knowing my addictive nature i'm very careful in using. I'd rather suffer some anxiety and discomfort rewalizing that it won't kill me and I'll come out on the other side than but a cast on a bruise. There are times that I need some help to be able to see I can reach the other side. Over time I've moved from 3 xanax a day to maybe 1 in 3 weeks and I'm more anxiety free. Its a process that takes time and attention.

"The more we witness our emotional reactions and understand how they work, the easier it is to refrain." I think, Pema chodron?

Introvrtd1 09-26-2011 03:31 PM

Heres to hoping you feel better Blue.....long time no see...

Froglet 09-27-2011 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by bluenena (Post 3065180)
I lost control yesterday after two years on no panic and I let it back in now I am having a hard time getting it under control. I hate this feeling and how it interfears with my live... I took off work yesterday but can't do that today... have to maintain I can't lose my job I have three kids to support. going through a divorce and feeling rejected is what triggered it. I hate feeling needy just want to go on with my life like normal... please need encouragement and pryers ....

Saw your other thread and posted, but just want to continue the support w/ others. If I may ask, what types of reactions are you having? Are these just thoughts? Sweats? etc?

I only ask because it can mean diff't things. Is it situational, or just mental fatigue from anything else??

How's your diet? No coffee or sugar I hope, as that can be a driver. If you can share more, then we can suggest more ways for you to help yourself. =)

underoath 09-28-2011 08:23 AM

you probably won't like what I am about to say but it has worked for me, and it seems to be the only thing that does work. Coming on anxiety forums really only perpetuates the problem, because you are focusing on your anxiety. The key is to divert your attention on something else. It is hard at first but trust me it works. Stop reading about anxiety on internet forums and go get busy with something, something that takes a lot of concentration and focus. Something you enjoy. For me, taking baths and relaxing and whatnot only made it worse because my mind didn't have anything to chew on. I found that going out and getting active, ignoring my fear and just doing things that I enjoy, things that I think about even when I'm not doing them, was the cure for my anxiety. It is rough at first but eventually you replace old behavior with new behavior and your anxiety habit is gone. I used to have panic disorder and now I don't, so I know it works... and I am positive it will work for anyone else. People with anxiety disorders don't like to hear "you are in control, you can cure yourself, it is a behavioral condition..." but it should be encouraging to know that you don't have to live like that anymore, not offensive... but I mean I got really angry when someone tried to tell me that I am causing my anxiety (unintentionally of course). It's funny because people who suffer from anxiety, they do things that only make their condition worse, thinking that they are making it better, and eventually it becomes such a subconscious habit that they cannot break the cycle without intense behavioral therapy. You said you were good for 2 years, and given the current circumstances it is totally understandable why you had that reaction. But the best way to get past this is not to dwell in it and analyze it and tear it apart, but to move forward. It will pass, but you are keeping it from passing