Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Anxiety Disorders
Reload this Page >

Binge Drinking & Drinking relating to anxiety and sweating in situations.

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 01:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thread in alcohol forum.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-new-here.html

I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences, or if people realize the chemical reaction and reasoning w/ alcohol and anxiety on a LONG TERM basis.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have read the thread and the problem I have with it is that many do not consider that anxiety can be related to many different things.

Personally I did have anxiety in early sobriety that was related to alcohol. But it was a different anxiety than I fight with now which is related to PTSD, bipolar, and chronic anxiety. What anxiety does to the body is keeps it in a fight or flight syndrome. Over time that level of anxiety becomes the norm and uncontrollable without help. That is what has happened to me.

I am not ashamed to say I do take klonopin for my anxiety. I take it as directed and check my motives when I take it to make sure I am taking it for the right reasons. If not for the klonopin I many times would not be able to leave my house, let alone go into a grocery store, an AA meeting or anywhere where people are. I do take other medications to deal with the primary diseases that create the anxiety as I know the root cause has to be addressed to ultimately make the anxiety better.

AA did help with my early sobriety anxiety. Without it I know that I would not be sober today. I did not start taking the klonopin until I was over 5 years sober and diagnosed with the primary diseases. It was only then that the uncontrolled anxiety was addressed. I encourage anyone to try AA as it does help with the anxiety related to stopping alcohol. I would also encourage anyone to seek medical advice if they have other concerns regarding anxiety or mental health issues.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
I have read the thread and the problem I have with it is that many do not consider that anxiety can be related to many different things.

Personally I did have anxiety in early sobriety that was related to alcohol. But it was a different anxiety than I fight with now which is related to PTSD, bipolar, and chronic anxiety. What anxiety does to the body is keeps it in a fight or flight syndrome. Over time that level of anxiety becomes the norm and uncontrollable without help. That is what has happened to me.

I am not ashamed to say I do take klonopin for my anxiety. I take it as directed and check my motives when I take it to make sure I am taking it for the right reasons. If not for the klonopin I many times would not be able to leave my house, let alone go into a grocery store, an AA meeting or anywhere where people are. I do take other medications to deal with the primary diseases that create the anxiety as I know the root cause has to be addressed to ultimately make the anxiety better.

AA did help with my early sobriety anxiety. Without it I know that I would not be sober today. I did not start taking the klonopin until I was over 5 years sober and diagnosed with the primary diseases. It was only then that the uncontrolled anxiety was addressed. I encourage anyone to try AA as it does help with the anxiety related to stopping alcohol. I would also encourage anyone to seek medical advice if they have other concerns regarding anxiety or mental health issues.
Hi,

How long were you on kpin? What's your dosage? I take it as needed. .5MG 2-3x a week, mostly for work. It seems very strong, might want to cut down to .25MG.