Notices

Sunday Anxiety

Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sunday Anxiety

Even sober Sunday’s are a struggle for me. I have anxiety/depression along with my drinking problem. All three got really out of control when I began my MBA in addition to working full time in 2008. I am still doing both and I do the bulk of my school work on the weekends. While easier to tackle school work without a hangover, some days I just feel paralyzed by the academic pressure. It’s funny because I worked two jobs, 7 days a week, for nearly two years without it fazing me, but throw in tests, papers and looming assignment deadlines in addition to work and it pushed me over the edge. When I leave it all to Sunday the anxiety is exceptionally bad. I used to never be a procrastinator but as my anxiety began to morph into depression I began avoiding things that caused me stress. I am currently medicated and see a therapist regularly, but some days are still really hard, especially being in early recovery. Just needed to vent, thanks for listening.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm also a sufferer of anxiety and believe it led to substance abuse. I'm 13 days in to sobriety and the alcohol-induced anxiety went away after a few days, but the old worries stayed. I'm getting therapy, but one thing that helps too is meditation. If you can set aside 5 minutes a day for a simple meditation (just focus on the breath and one word, like "one," to start), it may help. You can also look up meditations to download for smartphones/on the computer or get a CD with them. Just an idea. Just about everyone has 5 minutes.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey TD thanks very much for your comments! Meditation is an excellent suggestion. Just recently I started practicing for 10-15 minutes a day in the mornings after the rest of my workout. It has done wonders and I really love it! Exercise, yoga, and meditation have helped my anxiety so much! I really hope that once I finish my degree, some of my anxiety will subside. For some reason the academic pressure stresses me out more than anything else. Best of luck to you!