SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   Waking up with anxiety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/219398-waking-up-anxiety.html)

anders055 02-05-2011 04:53 AM

Waking up with anxiety

Does anyone else feel anxious during the waking up process? Every morning I wake up thinking of all the bad things. I have to shout to let go of those thoughts. 15 minutes of hell and I'm fine later. My father had it too, only difference is he used to take it out on his family by raging. I don't do that but I do give out a low scream (twice/thrice), as if I'm releasing the emotional pain. Is this rare? Or does anyone else do this?

Seren 02-07-2011 11:37 AM

Funny you should post about this.....I woke up at 4 a.m. this very morning in a full-blown anxiety attack (it woke me up). I'm going through a lot of work-related stress right now, and I've never experienced this sort of thing before.

I'll be looking forward to hearing about things that others do to try to slow down the hamster wheel inside the head!

HG

Sasha4 02-07-2011 11:41 AM

I wake up every single morning with full blown anxiety.

It clears mid afternoon.
It's a horrible way to wake up and start the day.

Zencat 02-08-2011 08:23 AM

I have morning anxiety too. Other that the medication I take, a brief meditation or distraction by reading an inspirational passage out of one of my many books helps to me calm down.

tomtricky 02-08-2011 08:28 AM

I also wake up feeling anxiety most mornings. I find that making a gratitude list or thinking about all the things that you value in life helps clear the anxiety quicker. Well it works like that for me. Keep up the good work!

Tom

x

dsorg 02-24-2011 12:31 PM

Thanks for this. I also wake up with feelings of dread. After I get going and get busy at work they subside for the day. The I start to feel that way again right before I go to bed. Does anyone else feel that way?

pennywistle 02-24-2011 10:47 PM

I do some stretching and conscious breathing exercises and/or meditation and yoga in the mornings before making coffee, when I remember. I feel really good throughout the day. Also, I would suggest you make sure you don't drink or eat a lot of heavy or sugary foods close to bedtime as those always throw me out of whack the next day. I hope that helps!

Change4life 02-25-2011 06:46 PM

I am so glad I checked this thread. I have been having severe panic attacks in the morning. Its waves of fear going through me. I dont know why but it makes me feel better to know I am not alone. I like the idea of the gratitude list, but when I feel that way I cocoon myself in blanket and I am petrified to move. I basically feel like I am dying. does anyone have any ideas why it is only in AM?

micealc 02-27-2011 02:27 AM

Im just after coming here today.......I wake up every mourning full of Anxiety,Pain in my left shoulder,Helmet on top of my Head,..........For years,25 to be persise.
I just cant get it,or let go or whatever.

I cant get it out of my Head that some day it will be gone......but it never goes.
I cant accept that it will go slowly.........im always watching it.
Its like its with me so long that I want to be Present when it does go..............which Paradoxacally keeps it alive and present.
I need a Miracle......so I wont always be watching.
Im ACOA,AA,NA,and Im also clean@ Sober for 25 years..........I deserve a break.
Thanks for letting me share.

yeahgr8 02-27-2011 03:06 AM

I used to wake like that everyday...in the end it pushed me to seek help to change, waking up with that sinking anxious feeling was not exactly a great indicator that all was well inside and a clear indicator if externals appear to be running smoothly that the problem is in us!

StayTrue 03-03-2011 03:39 PM

I dont wake up with it, but the moment I wake up, my hands go from warm to cold and clammy, and pretty much stays that way all day until I lay down at night. My anxiety gets increasingly worse throughout the day usually. If I workout at night, then it subsides.

chrisb245 03-04-2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sasha4 (Post 2857652)
I wake up every single morning with full blown anxiety.

It clears mid afternoon.
It's a horrible way to wake up and start the day.

I have the very same panic. I'm praying that it is just w/d's from benzo use. I hope it goes away once my body clears itself.

micealc 10-15-2011 03:12 PM

Doctor Clare Weekes talked about this dredded Mourning Feeling of Anxiety and Doom in the Mourning.She said to get up as soon as you wake.Some mournings I do others I dont.
I must start making a Gratitude list as well...........it might help/

mhealer3 10-18-2011 05:54 PM

yeah, me too...

Originally Posted by dsorg (Post 2876651)
Thanks for this. I also wake up with feelings of dread. After I get going and get busy at work they subside for the day. The I start to feel that way again right before I go to bed. Does anyone else feel that way?

thanks 4 being here friends.
i'm also one who faces dread first thing in the a.m.-- & again before bed.

so glad i can talk about it here. (i thought it was just me).
***why can i barely face beginning (or ending) each day?***

it's something 2 do with feeling like i expect 2 fail again--(morning).
or have failed again--(eveningtime).

maybe i have 2 lower my expectations, cause i'm always disappointed
in myself & others.

i'd also like 2 be busier-- because what that guy said about distractions is true: taking our minds off ourselves is good.
when i'm more productive, i enjoy life more & don't feel as lonely.

that's why i'm looking 4 more work.
all my kids r grown & gone, so
my 'need 2 be needed' is really gonna depend on my work.
hang in there friends,
make little changes,...
slowly they'll add up to something better:)

hugs from new york--

Fallow 01-01-2012 03:18 PM

Happens to me all the time. I have nightmares/vivid dreams and then wake up in full blown panic attacks. It never happens when im drinking. Im just praying if I stay sober long enough I can overcome this.

Sweets79 01-04-2012 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by anders055 (Post 2855170)
Does anyone else feel anxious during the waking up process? Every morning I wake up thinking of all the bad things. I have to shout to let go of those thoughts. 15 minutes of hell and I'm fine later. My father had it too, only difference is he used to take it out on his family by raging. I don't do that but I do give out a low scream (twice/thrice), as if I'm releasing the emotional pain. Is this rare? Or does anyone else do this?

Hi,

I can totally relate!

I started a new job this week and I wake up with FEROCIOUS anxiety. My stomach hurts, my mind races. It's horrible. I used to drink liquor to calm this down, but apparently that's not the answer.

My therapist gave me some breathing techniques and I want to start practicing meditation. She says it helps. Anything I can do to reduce stress and anxiety I am willing to try.

I am on Celexa, which is supposed to help with anxiety along with depression, but I am still pretty damn anxious. It is a hard feeling to tolerate. The fear is very hard to sit with. I understand completely.

If I find anything that helps me reduce the anxiety and stress, I will let you know.

anhauser 01-09-2012 12:32 AM

i cant believe this many of you experience this. i do, just did this morning. then when i start moving along, getting things done, praying, counting blessings, it loses its power.i notice it happens more when i sleep in longer than usual. i feel pressured , like ive lost alot of time. i had to tell myself alot of stuff this morning. the only thing that comes to mind about the am anxiety is that our sleep cycle is a temporary escape, than we wake up to reality, and its overwhelming. i also have very vivid dreams before waking. i dont experience this after a nap though,:Wburn:Wburn:a122: so that blows my theory about temporary escape.

averysdad 01-16-2012 04:35 PM

good advice thank's

:scoregood:wild

Originally Posted by micealc (Post 3138048)
Doctor Clare Weekes talked about this dredded Mourning Feeling of Anxiety and Doom in the Mourning.She said to get up as soon as you wake.Some mournings I do others I dont.
I must start making a Gratitude list as well...........it might help/

TCB5568 01-18-2012 10:34 PM

I also have this same issue. It is like a flood gate of all the bad things of the day before and dreading another day. I started Al-Anon today which will hopefully help me to lead a more peaceful life. This AM anxiety is not good for any of us. We are obviously not happy about areas in our lives and need to tackle the problems and not ignore them. I also take celexa for anxiety for a year now and I don't think it works...I've tried zoloft, effexor, paxol and the best remedy is just learning some relaxation techniques and getting in touch with your inner voice

micealc 04-09-2012 04:59 AM

I just came accross this tread again this mourning....no change here....really.
Im keeping too much of a close eye on it that its afraid to go.....anxiety that is.
Relaxation Meditation Is Helpful when it get over powering.
Mary Maddax has Good ones.....Here is a Short One.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13339727610091