SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   painic, anxiety, ahhhhhh (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/212415-painic-anxiety-ahhhhhh.html)

Lilly03 11-01-2010 07:51 PM

painic, anxiety, ahhhhhh

I've had TWO panic attacks in the last 2 days, and I'm freaking out. One was on Saturday night and one was last night (Sunday)...

I'll start with Saturday I was sick took meds (didn't abuse), then I started freaking out. BAD. I've had the flu for several days now, and I broke down and decided medicine might help.

I didn't realize until today what set me off. I was taking the medicine and counting down until I could take it again (I was actually feeling sick and the medicine was helping). I think it reminded me of when I lost control in my addiction. I started thinking about all the lost time from when I was a kid (I was really sick as a kid and didn't get out of the house much)...and I started thinking about how time flies and I'll wake up and one day I'll be old. I started panicking and losing it. I had all the symptoms of a full blown panic attack. Sweating, stuck in my head with circling thoughts, thinking it was going to go on forever. I went on here and got support and help to get me out of it.

Then sunday night I had another panic attack. I thought I could think of all the things I had the night before that set me off, and if I sat with them I would be OK. I was wrong I had another panic attack. I called a suicide hotline (for someone to talk to I didn't want to freak out my friends), and talked to a lady who talked and calmed me and brought my thoughts to normal things.

Now tonight I'm scared. I'm freaking out about having a panic attack and I'm scared that it will set me into another one! AH. I've felt numb all day, like a walking zombie. I'm overly sensitive and on top of that sick.

I don't know how to get through this so I'm talking about it, hopefully that will put things in perspective. I can't handle the panic attacks. They scare me so much, and I don't want to turn to drinking because of them.

stayinsober 11-02-2010 09:40 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you are having panic attacks. I have them too especially after drinking. The thing I find helpful to me is to call someone close. Usually my bf will come to my rescue. I try to think of positive things turn on the t.v. to a comic show maybe play a game on the comp. Maybe you should go see a dr.. And try not to think about having one. I know I could possibly throw myself into really quickly if I were to sit here and think about having one. I'm sorry I'm not much help. Good luck to you. Maybe you can log into chat and see if anywhere is in there the next time it happens. I always feel better after I talk to someone.The number one is to think positive.

Lilly03 11-02-2010 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by sarah78 (Post 2754935)
I don't know if this has anything to do with you, but when I get sick my anxiety always get worse? I don't know why, just something I always noticed..like a common cold, stomach bug etc..

yes, they did not come on until I got sick!

Thanks for the help guys. I did some research on it and I just keep reminding myself it's because I'm scared and it's my body trying to "save me". It's by far though the scariest thing I've ever experienced in my life. I remind myself it can happen again, but if it does I have a way to cope - I have a friend who I can call, and I can call a hotline, or I can go to the ER. The worst thing that will happen is I end up in the ER - and that's not the end of the world.

I'll check out the book you suggested Sarah.

Thanks.