SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   Money worries anxiety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/202248-money-worries-anxiety.html)

tomw 06-02-2010 08:56 AM

Money worries anxiety

I'm out of job and have been for over a year. I've been actively seeking work but can't connect despite a great work record. I've been trying to participate in medical studies that pay very well but here is my problem. When I screen (physical check-up) for a study my blood pressure goes through the ceiling (150 over 100) and I'm not accepted. Normally it's near perfect (120 over 80)

I'm thinking my money worries are actually causing me to lose money by being stressed. This very thing happened again this morning. At the clinic my blood pressure reads 150 over 100 and taken a second time is even higher at 155 over 103(2k is on the line). I go home completely frustrated and take my blood pressure and it's 118 over 82...I'm at a loss...anyone have suggestions?

AlwaysGrowing 06-02-2010 09:38 AM

Is your machine off?

hps 06-02-2010 04:55 PM

Hi Tom, I've been out of work for over a year, so I'm quite familiar with the associated stresses. It's a tough situation, as it's someone else's decision to hire me. I am grateful I still have food to eat, a roof over my head, and am in decent health.

That said, if two separate clinics are saying your blood pressure is through the ceiling, shouldn't you be discussing this with your physician? Think of the financial and career impact of a heart attack or stroke.

tomw 06-03-2010 08:43 AM

Thanks hps. I've been to a physician and my bp was 122 over 77 which it is most of the time. It's just when I'm being screened for a study and I know a few thousand $$$ are riding on the outcome of the bp reading, it jumps wildly.

I need to learn how to relax in pressure situations I guess...somehow

Lilya 06-03-2010 02:01 PM

Hi Tom and welcome to the club.

Iīve been going through lots of stress because of the economic situation in Europe and now we have the worries in Greece on top of it, so I donīt know when it will end.

One thing Iīve learned and that is to keep going, no matter what.

Try CBT exercises. Theyīre really effective to calm stressful thoughts.
Exercise once a day and set yourself small goals you can achieve. It will get you motivated.

You can learn breathing techniques on Youtube, itīs very calming.

Good luck.

tomw 06-03-2010 04:15 PM

Thanks Lilya...your post is helpful. The last two years have been very stressful and I know many people are experiencing the same thing..

How one deals with adversity is a test of one's determination to rise above it.

tomw 06-09-2010 05:53 PM

I think the stress of being without a job for a year and a half and wondering where my next source of income will be is the reason for my high BP readings. Most times it's perfect and maybe too low. I mean this BP thing is driving me nuts. It's lost me at least 5K because I can't relax when screening. It's fine otherwise as I've monitored it carefully the last week or two...is this an anxiety disorder or what. I'd like to figuire this one out.

hendershot 06-09-2010 06:19 PM

Not working can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you are actively looking for jobs. Still, this is really a luxury problem. I mean, you still have internet access so I am assuming that you still have a roof over your head and food to eat. Not everyone is so fortunate. When I have problems like yours, I find that focusing on what I am grateful that I have alleviates my anxiety more than worrying about what I don't.

tomw 06-09-2010 06:42 PM

I have a roof over my head for now but I'm trying to short sell my property. I've cut off all utilities except my cell phone (cell phone is my internet) and eletricity. No water, gas, sewer service, cable TV. So I'm not in a luxury situation by any means. Like you say I try to take anything positive from each day but the positives are on the short list...I keep telling myself things will get better....at some point. Sorry to vent. I'm sure many people are having a rough go of it too

sleepie 06-11-2010 10:05 AM

I'm sorry Tom- all I can offer is some empathy... I hope things change for you soon. I have been unemployed/ underemployed for over two years now and it's been quite unpleasant... I also recently interviewed for a job I was told I was a sure in for- and did not get hired. So, I think I feel ya. I have used meditation in the past and taking deep breaths, focusing on relaxation, maybe that can be of some use to you?

tomw 06-13-2010 08:22 AM

Thanks sleepie. No matter how bad things get, I remind myself there are people who have it worse, like the Uzbek refugees who are getting killed just for who they are. I think they would trade places with me anytime

FarawayFromCars 06-15-2010 06:49 PM

So sorry, Tom...I was laid off and then through connections found another job, but I know how frustrating not working can be...and I can so relate to the blood pressure thing (I think it's called "white coat syndrome"--your bp goes up in the presence of drs. but is normal at home). I don't have much advice...just wishing you good thoughts and hope things turn around soon. Don't give up!

spryte 06-18-2010 08:20 PM

tomw, I'm finding it hard to compose this because I don't know that much about your situation...so forgive me if I get things wrong.

It sounds like you have the skills and abilities to more than get by, yet your monthly situation is spotty.

I feel really stressed if I can't predict my income for at least the next 2 months.

I dunno...have you considered a lower income type job? The pay is less, but it provides some stability. You can always supplement it with the medical testing work. It's not forever, and you don't even need to put it on a resume. Getting out and being busy might be helpful.