Notices

Holiday anxiety

Old 04-06-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holiday anxiety

I spent the holiday with some very dear friends who have recently become even more devout catholics than they were formerly. I support anything that gets my friends through a tough time and makes a good frame work for living, but I was so nervous hearing about it the whole time I was there. I happen to have buddhist leanings. I even went to church with them for Sunday mass- for my friend because she wanted me to, and I love her. I didn't know what to do, people were crossing themselves and such. I was not raised in any religious fashion, and the minister even gave me a dirty look because I wasn't singing and crossing myself ( I have a hard time even being in a new situation among strangers much less singing as well!) So as much as I love my friends, I was so nervous by my last day there, I thought I was going to hell, and my OCD kicked in and I was all stressed about it... I sat on my bed for about 1 1/2 hours thinking about jesus and hell and worrying about it and obsessing. And I drank I am trying so hard, I am hoping my shrink calls me tonight so I can talk to her about it. I am taking OCD/ anxiety meds too. I feel awful that it bothered me so much, and guilty that my interest in buddhism and meditation is so disconcerting to my friends
Old 04-07-2010, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sleepy and welcome.

I think the key is to accept and respect other peopleīs religion, no matter what. If it offends you, try to look through the mask of religion and see the person for what he or she is. Try to point it out to your friends who whare a different religion.

It would be best to talk to your shrink and I hope she calls you. Maybe it would be good too to talk to someone in your religious group about your doubts and fears.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, I am very accepting. Almost to a fault. I have no problem at all with anyone's beliefs and I would never push mine on someone else. But often, others think they know what's best for everyone and that's when the pressure is on. I think attending their mass is pretty open minded of me. Why would I be offended? As I said, I support anything that makes the life of a friend better. I simply don't respond well to religious pressure and guilt. Maybe you misunderstood- I have an interest in Buddhism, have practiced meditation and found it to be helpful. But I am not affiliated with any religious group. Also, Buddhism is a practice and philosophy- not a religion, but that's a common misconception. Thanks for taking the time to read
Old 04-07-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I feel awful that it bothered me so much, and guilty that my interest in buddhism and meditation is so disconcerting to my friends
I didnīt mean you. Sorry for not outlining that further.