Notices

Awful Anxiety but still smoking!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Awful Anxiety but still smoking!!!

Hi, Could someone tell me if my nicotine addiction is contributing to my anxiety condition..

I am coming up to 5 weeks sober from codeine addiction but some days are still hell with anxiety, I am still finding eating a problem but I do tend to force myself every few hours..
I have cut my caffeine intake to one cup a day but I can't seem to quit the cigarettes..
When my anxiety peaks I crave them and find it so hard not to light up..

I also find being in my own company a big problem, I can't seem to focus or concentrate on much either even light-hearted TV shows.
I feel like I am going completely nuts....

Should I try and quit the cigs as well or will this only cause more distress???
Old 04-05-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have no idea if nicotine contributes to anxiety. If it does then I'm in trouble cause I smoke like a chimney. For me, I couldn't give up both drinking and smoking at once. And I still haven't found the courage to give up smoking after four months sober. Maybe give my sobriety some more time.

I'm sure others will be along with suggestions. We have a smoking forum here too. Maybe post your question there for more answers.

Nicotine/Smoking - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 04-05-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

It does, it does. Nicotine is a stimulant. It's weird that we "think" we're relaxing. It's the nicotine monster in our head "relieved to get a fix" that makes it seem soothing when it's the opposite.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

Yep, it is a big kicker for causing anxiety. It is a horribly addictive, deadly drug.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Itīs bad for the nerves, but deal with one addiction at a time. It would be good to lower your nicotine intake now.

If you want to stop smoking, set a date a few months in the future and then stop.

I decided to cut down 5 cigarettes every six to nine months, until I had only one cigarette to smoke just before sleeping. I knew how potent the drug was when I had one cigarette a day! I had vertigo and felt my whole body go limp. Finally I couldnīt smoke anymore.

Obviously, some peope just stop and go cold turkey. I had gone through Cocaine and Speed cold turkey, then booze, and didnīt have the strenght to do the same with cigarettes. Same with sugar, I cut down gradually as well.

Good luck.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I'm going to try cold turkey. It worked for a year.

One time I cut all my cigarettes in HALF thinking that would work. Not only was it a complete waste of money - I simply smoked two at a time <duh>
Old 04-08-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hugs I smoke when I'm anxious too, though cigerattes make you anxious actually so it's kind of coumtre productive. Try quitting smoking, it should help with your anxiety in the long run. Though it might be easier to wait and not quit stuff all at once, but then again you can always make an excuss why not to quit. So best is to set a date and go for it. I need to quit smoking myself.