Notices

I hate psych. meds

Old 11-17-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

There are many studies out there and studies can be manipulated to achieve the results one wants or to meet ones agenda.
It is up to each individual person to believe what they choose.
I couldn't agree more!

I would NEVER encourage anyone to stop taking any type of medication. But, I do encourage for people to research everything they can about them. They can come to their own conclusions and decisions.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Now I have some time to reply

nandm, I have time now to properly reply to your post. I did a quick reply because I wanted to make it clear ASAP that I would never suggest for anyone to discontinue any type of medication, especially psychotropic ones.

Interesting that one could consider a medication that alters the chemicals in the brain comparable to a placebo.
From my understanding almost all serious studies use a placebo, its a form of control. Have you ever heard of "the placebo effect"? When a group of people is given a pill (placebo), lets say to reduce a headache, a certain percentage of them will show improvement. Even though the placebo (a sugar pill) has no properties to reduce the headache, it still helps some because the mind thinks it's taking a pill to help the headache.

There are many studies out there and studies can be manipulated to achieve the results one wants or to meet ones agenda.
I couldn't agree more! And a big motivator to push one's agenda is multi-million dollar revenues. From my understanding however, these are the initial studies from the manufacturers themselves. These are not studies from an outside source, but from the drug companies themselves that where acquired through the freedom of information act.

I am not saying that the research study that is posted here is bunk but IMHO I do not trust it.
Again, these are initial studies never submitted to the FDA. Example: In my opinion a drug company can conduct 20 clinical trials for their product. If 2 of them show a favorable efficiency compared to a placebo, but the other 18 do not, then they can submit the 2 favorable trials to the FDA for review and not the other 18. Doesn't seem to be fair....but, I guess there is major money at stake.

I base my opinions on my personal experience which is these medications are not sugar pills.
I don't believe anyone ever said they are sugar pills.

It is up to each individual person to believe what they choose.
I couldn't agree more! Each individual has a right to look at ALL the information and make up their own mind.

They do change the brain chemicals and either work for the person or don't depending upon each persons chemical makeup.
I agree, they do change brain chemicals. There are many substances that change brain chemicals.

I personally do not want to be responsible for someone elses suicide because I encouraged them to stop their meds by stating that there meds were nothing more than sugar pills.
Suicide is sad and tragic, it is very real on both sides of issue. Example: black box warning. Not sure what you're saying. Should the results of studies not be disclosed?

...well meaning but misguided people...
If these studies and the many books are stating something that is false, how come they are not being sued? I would think that the manufacturers of these products would file a lawsuit if it wasn't true. I know I would pursue legal action if someone is making false claims about my product.

Once someone is dead it is a bit too late to take back what was said.
Absolutely! In my opinion if everyone treated others with love, compassion, kindness and respect there would be no regrets for their past actions and words.

Again, I would never encourage anyone to discontinue their medication. I am just a average person who's life was devastated by these drugs directly due to lack of all the information about them. I encourage everyone who is taking these drugs or considering to take these drugs to research it extensively and weigh the benefit to risk ratio very carefully.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I refuse to bite on your attempt to shred my post. To each his own opinion.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

nandm, I am sorry that you feel I attempted to shred your post. This, of course, was not my intention. I just tried to respond to the statements that you posted with openness and honesty.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have anxiety, but I do not intend on taking medication to alleviate it. In my opinion, pills are just another product of the "spirit of the times"! I also drink to take care of anxious feelings, and to allow myself to relax and feel perfectly well for the time being. However, the long time effects won't be so nice. Thats why I'm considering joing AA or some other type of detox program. I just do not want my family to get wind of it.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Each person should discuss medication with their physician. Debating the pros and cons of medication is outside the scope of this forum. We are here for personal peer support.

Untreated depression and mental illness is the most common cause of suicide. It is important to seek treatment in some form and that should be discussed with a professional.