SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   Parnate anyone??? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/173170-parnate-anyone.html)

klopper22 03-31-2009 09:47 PM

Parnate anyone???

I have been reading up on Parnate reviews tonight. The people sound like they are describing me when they say how many meds they have tried with lackluster results. I have tried effexor, prozac, paxil, cymbalta, serax (originally for getting off alcohol) and now am on lexapro...I still and always have suffered from SAD. 95% of the Parnate reviews are 10 out of 10 for efficacy in the treatment of SAD (social anxiety disorder). Also, that the food restrictions are well worth it. I cannot see myself passing by having no SAD just so I can eat cheese or chocolate. SAD has held me down all my life and I am extremely and completely tired of it. I am going to talk to my doc about Parnate.

nandm 04-01-2009 01:00 AM

Since I had not heard of this medication I took a few minutes to look it up. The information I have posted here comes from the following web site: Drug Information for Parnate Oral - WebMD

This would not be a medication alternative for me since I am bipolar and have high blood pressure. The reviews are mixed. Pretty much it appears to me that this medication is a lot like the others out there. When it works it works well. There are no miracle drugs out there. What works for one may not work for the next person.

Here are the reviews of this medication from people who have tried it:

Comment:
I was on Parnate several years ago and it worked wonders on my depression but the side effects were too intense. This time around, I didn't have the side effects, but I haven't had the relief from my depression either.

Comment:
Similar as the previous posts, Parnate is the only anti-depressant that has worked. I've had a few hyper-tensive crises, mostly from food that is past its edible date rather than because it was on the list, with the most severe from a 'new' package of spoiling ham. However, my concern is that after taking it for around 20 years, I am experiencing short-term memory loss and difficulty concentrating. Has anyone else experienced this after long-term use? Thanks.

Comment:
i have been depressed since age 16-am now 49. since the 1980s started talk therapy, while completing college and working as a cardiac nurse-i was active and useful despite my moods, but by 1996, in my late 30s, i began to be hopitalized in psych units and hospitals-lost count, can you believe, but it was at least ten times, each worse than the last. my depression has always had a strong anxiety component which became more and more distressing as i got older. i was placed on a long list of antidepressants, none of which worked-benzodiazepines for anxiety, also many kinds-didn't help-was briefly treated for bipolar and those meds did nothing except make me fat. meanwhile, i continued talk therapy, went to 12 steps, church, outpatient programs, groups-nothing worked. by 2001 the anxiety had become crippling, with panic attacks-i went from nursing to less challenging jobs but could barely do even those-was in fear, racing thoughts, obssessive thoughts-one doc tried an ocd med with no effect. in 2001 a psychiatreist tried parnate-i started it on a friday, by monday all of my depressive, anxious symptoms were gone and as of jan. 2009 have not come back-no kidding, it was a breathtaking miracle. i've been through many life experiences on parnate, even had a hypertensive crisis once caused by carelessness, which i treated at home with no ill effects. i just have to avoid aged cheeses, take it easy with soy sauce, and be careful with other meds-small price to pay. i don't drink so no worries there. no side effects except maybe a slight decrease in appetite-nice since most other meds made me fat. on 50 mg/day. can't say enough good about this med-i am now a normal person mentally. very nice to have a 3-day onset, as opposed to five weeks for ssris.

Comment:
have to avoid certain foods

Comment:
My dr. started me at 30mgs and I was really dizzy and slept a lot. We backed the dose off to 10mg a day and slowly built up and now I am up to 50mg with virtually no side effects.

Comment:
Started on 10mg for 3 day then increased to 20mg per doctor. On the 6th day I experienced severe dizziness to the point of passing out every time I tried to sit up or get up with severe head/neck pain. My chest hurt, shortness of breath and heart beating hard. Scared me to death, stopped it immediately but took me 3 days to be able to get out of the bed. Worst experience I've had on any antidepressant.

Comment:
Several therapies were tried to alleviate my major depressive disorder. Some worked for a short time then I would crash again. My pdoc was very patient and continued to try to find the right combo that would allow me to rejoin the land of the living. Finally he asked if I had heard of MAOIs. Of course I had and I knew there were foods I couldn't eat while taking it. "And...?" was his response. Got the point. Said sign me up. And for the first time in years I feel like "me" again. It's not perfect. It's not a cure. But at least I can finally enjoy life!

Comment:
I was diagnosed with moderate-to-severe depression with anxiety disorder since 1991, yet I know I had the depression a lot earlier than that. I have been to 2 previous psychiatrists who prescribed Prozac, Paxil, Pamelor,Trazedone, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Seroquel, Xanax, Lamictal, Anafranil, and Lithium. All these prescribed over a 15 year period. Nothing was helpful for me. In fact, I developed more complications. I changed psychiatrist and he put me on Parnate. I have been on it since January 2006. It has been a miracle medicine for me. I am now able to be around people more easily, work and function, and be more spontaneous in enjoying life. I am so thankful for this older medicine, since the "tried and true" things still work very well. Once you learn the food and medicine precautions with Parnate, taking Parnate daily just becomes part of who and what you do every day. I am thankful for this MAOI, which is still working at the same dosage level I found effective for me since 2006! It is not perfect, but it is better than the so-called modern antidepressants, afterall I had tried most of the "newer" medicines.

Comment:
Had major side effects. Started on the largest dose, but quickly had to be moved to the smallest dose. The side effects including complete lack of sleep, trouble urinating, and loss of the control of the eyes (blurred vision). Was pulled off of the medication immediately and switched to the patch with no side effects.

Comment:
I had tried numerous other drugs for depression and had too many anxiety side effects. Finally, something that would help me and let me function. I know that this is an old drug, but it worked for me. I also know that the new drugs are the ones that doctors use and say not to use the MAOI;s but that's the only thing that has helped me and saved my life. I was so deep in depression and anxiety. No other Dr. or drugs could help me.

Comment:
new generic has caused severe reactions. Feel sick, light headed, waves of strange feeling through body. Depression returned. Switchint to a different MAOI due to this. Generic parnate is dangerous

Comment:
Being on Parnate since 1989 I don't have any problem with watching the foods I eat. Since it is the only medication that will work for me, I will continue to take it. It's just a shame that more medical professionals aren't up to date on MAOI's. Not even the most current meds of the 2000's have worked in my case.

Comment:
Although the food restrictions are a little aggravating; the results I receive from Parnate are well worth the aggravation. I have bi-polar and my doctor and I have had a difficult time with medications that is effective without the effectiveness wearing off within a matter of 1-6 months. I have been been taking Parnate over 5 months with no evidence that is beginng not to work. This is a miracle. I was diagnosed with bi-polar 12 years ago with many hospitalizations and frequent doctor visits. I haven't been to the hospital since I began Parnate and my doctor visits have been radically reduced. My doctor told me that I am better than he has ever seen me. Praise the Lord that I have a doctor that has stuck with me and is not afraid to try medications that are not typically for bi-polar.
Here is some basic information on this medication

Who should not take this medication?
Check with your physician if you have any of the following:

Conditions:
Parkinson Symptoms, Epileptic Seizure, High Blood Pressure, Abnormal Heart Rhythm, Chronic Heart Failure, Disease of the Heart and Blood Vessels, Any Disorder of the Blood Vessels of the Brain, Liver Problems, Kidney Disease, Severe Headache, Frequent Headaches, Tumor of Adrenal Gland Causing High Blood Pressure, Overactive Thyroid Gland, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus, Sympathectomy, Schizophrenia characterized by Paranoia, Manic-Depression, Having Thoughts of Suicide, Habit of Drinking Too Much Alcohol

Allergies:
MONOAMINE OXIDASE INHIBITORS

Parnate:
Tranylcypromine is an antidepressant (monoamine oxidase inhibitor). This medication treats depression by restoring the balance of certain natural substances (neurotransmitters) in the brain. Tranylcypromine can improve your mood and feelings of well-being. Usually, this medication is used in persons who have not responded to treatment with other drugs.

Dizziness, drowsiness, tiredness, weakness, problems sleeping, constipation, and dry mouth may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: fainting, mental/mood changes (e.g., agitation, confusion), muscle stiffness/twitching, changes in sexual ability/interest, shaking (tremor), shivering, swollen ankles/legs, unusual weight gain, vision changes (e.g., double/blurred vision).

Tell your doctor immediately if any of these highly unlikely but very serious side effects occur: severe stomach/abdominal pain, persistent nausea/vomiting, seizures, dark urine, yellowing eyes/skin.

This drug may rarely cause an attack of extremely high blood pressure (hypertensive crisis), which may be fatal. Many drug and food interactions can increase this risk (See also Drug Interaction section.) Stop taking tranylcypromine and seek immediate medical attention if any of these serious side effects occur: frequent/severe headache, fast/slow/irregular/pounding heartbeat, chest pain, neck stiffness/soreness, severe nausea/vomiting, sweating/clammy skin (sometimes with fever), widened pupils, sudden sensitivity to light (photophobia).

A serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Contact your doctor for medical advice about side effects. The following numbers do not provide medical advice, but in the US you may report side effects to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) at 1-800-FDA-1088. In Canada, you may call Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.

Before taking tranylcypromine, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies.

This medication should not be used if you have certain medical conditions. Before using this medicine, consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have: a certain kind of adrenal gland tumor (pheochromocytoma), cerebrovascular disease (e.g., stroke), heart problems (e.g., congestive heart failure, heart attack), high blood pressure, history of severe/frequent headaches, liver problems.

Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: personal/family history of mental/mood disorders (e.g., schizophrenia, bipolar disorder), family history of high blood pressure, heart disease (e.g., coronary artery disease, history of chest pain), kidney disease, certain nervous system diseases (Parkinson's syndrome, seizures), overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).

This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy; use caution while engaging in activities requiring alertness such as driving or using machinery. Avoid alcoholic beverages.

To minimize dizziness and the risk of fainting, get up slowly when rising from a sitting or lying position.

Before having surgery or any procedures requiring use of contrast dye (e.g., myelography), tell your doctor or dentist you are on this medication. You may need to stop taking this drug beforehand. Follow your doctor's instructions carefully.

If you have heart disease, this medication may mask chest pain. Avoid strenuous exercise while taking this medication.

If you have diabetes, tranylcypromine may lower your blood sugar levels. Check your blood sugar regularly, and share the results with your doctor. Tell your doctor immediately if you have symptoms of low blood sugar such as cold sweat, shaking, rapid heart rate, fainting, and hunger. Your anti-diabetic medication or diet may need to be adjusted.

Caution is advised when using this drug in the elderly because they may be more sensitive to the effects of the drug, especially the effects on blood pressure.

This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.

This medication passes into breast milk. Therefore, breast-feeding while using this medication is not recommended. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

klopper22 04-01-2009 06:26 AM

Thank you so much for all the great info. I appreciate it. I realize this my not be "the one for me", but nothing else has been. I am willing to try it as a last resort.

Mattcake 04-01-2009 09:37 AM

Klopper, I've never taken Parnate. However, I do know it's considered to be a very effective treatment for SAD.

It's also a last resort treatment, as MAOIs present a lot of problems regarding interactions, both with foodstuffs and other medications which can be fatal - the list is long, and it includes very common OTC substances such as allergy mds, as well as certain supplements. The list was updated a couple of years ago, as it was a little bit too stringent, but it's still very daunting.

Your doc definitely needs to asses your situation very carefully before prescribing. You should also let your doc know about any meds you are currently taking, as there is a mandatory washout period in between terminating SSRI treatment and starting MAOIs.

Although I'd never even consider taken an MAOI, I do know that SAD is a debilitating and highly taxing condition, as I used to suffer from it.

Have you done CBT? That's the only thing that ever worked for me - great results, by the way, as my anxiety disorders have been in remission (cured, as far as I'm concerned) for over 5 years.

Good luck.

klopper22 04-01-2009 10:41 AM

What is CBT...communication therapy? If so, I cant afford it.

Mattcake 04-01-2009 11:17 AM

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. The advantage of CBT is that it does not involve a long, ongoing process. You are taught certain skills that you can apply on your own as needed. My CBT course involved 10 sessions in 2 months; it was really effective.

There are many CBT workbooks available that may be helpful if you cannot afford therapy at this time. I hope you'll consider all your options.

GailJ 04-01-2009 12:50 PM

There is a free online cbt course at Living Life To The Full Many here have used it in the past

klopper22 04-01-2009 06:30 PM

Thanks, Gail. I'll check that out. :)

klopper22 04-01-2009 06:36 PM

Matt, I am glad yours is cured.

I'm in the process of securing help. I really don't think I can afford NOT to do this.

My doc said today that he wouldn't be comfortable prescribing it, as he never has before and that medicine is specifically for the treatment of mental health issues; he is a general practitioner. They referred me to a psycholigist/psychiatrist.

I contacted them and gave them my info...that I have had SAD all my life, have tried all the SSRI's/benzos to treat it with no success, & that I am at a point where I NEED to get it treated ADEQUATELY once and for all. Having told them that SSRI's have NOT worked, I told them that I have researched Parnate in depth - about 6 solid hours last night just reading and getting feedback from here and the SAD forum (dedicated to SAD )

I told them that Parnate is what I have in mind so they don't draw up treatment plans or begin treating me in a direction not to include that as an option. I said that I am absolutely not opposed to talking about the issues that have been the cumulative thorn in my side, but also that I want whoever my doctor is to be open to prescribing needed medicine with a good track record to assist with it all. The lady assured me that is definitely the case...they have no problem with prescibing medicine.

So, they are going to get back with me on when the appointment is.

klopper22 04-02-2009 04:41 PM

I got a callback from the Thieves...I mean psych people about what I would have to pay....over 200.00 for the 1st visit and 112.00 thereafter. Plus I have a 1000.00 deductible. I would have to be nuts to pay that. I'm not that messed up. I simply can't afford that and they should feel like s h i t for asking people for that much.

Anyway, I guess it was not meant to be that I would use Parnate. Things are still going better than they have in a loooong time in other areas of my life. No big deal.