Notices

Cymbalta

Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Cymbalta

Hi all,
I have had a panic disorder for about 10 years, no panic attacks anymore, but still have anxiety, I am changing from paxil after 10 years 30mg to cymbalta, my doctor is having me do half dose of paxil for a few days with cymbalta. I so hope it works, just wondering about people here taking it and how does it do for them.
I put this in another post, but thought I would start my own thread.
I take buspar also. The sexual side effects have been awful for me and I am just so tired of it.
Thanks for any of your experiences.

hugs
sisofD
Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been on Cymbalta for a year now, works great for me and no side effects.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

sisofD,
I'm on 90mg daily of cymbalta and have had a great experience with it. Unlike other anti-D's, I've found that Cymbalta has helped me get a handle on both my depression and my anxiety. It also doesn't prevent me from sleeping or require that I take a sleep aid (which is a big pro for me). Initial side effects for me were yawning and loss of appetite/nausea but they have since disappeared (as long as I take it with food). I have a dry mouth but that is easy to cope with (compared to panic attacks! )
I have noticed some sexual side effects but they have been unusual. My mental health provider is a male and I am not comfortable discussing it with him, however I plan on switching soon and will tell my next Dr. My sexual response and drive has increased a lot, but my ability to climax (on my own or with a partner) has virtually disappeared. The thing is, it doesn't really bother me. (It would have before I was on the meds).
But every one is SO different, our bodies react to medicine in different ways so I wouldn't let that intimidate you from trying it. If you read the prescribing information it says that most women (unfortunately not the case for men on Cymbalta) actually have an increased ability to reach orgasm. I'm just lucky. haha:wtf2
Hope I've helped. Let me know how it goes!
-Holly
Old 03-25-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your respones, I thought I put this thread in the mental health or anxiety forum, must have been tired last night when I posted. Anyway hope the cymbalta helps me.

sisofD
Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Moved her by request.

Ann
Old 03-25-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I felt this belonged over here. Thanks Ann!
Old 03-26-2009, 03:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, SisterofD!
And welcome to the anxiety forum!

I have no experience with the meds you are discussing but, others will be along to share their own ESH soon.
Glad you're here!

Shalom!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am supposed to be taking Cybalta and I have taken it but stopped it because with all the meds im on it was killin my stomach and the price is crazy. It's a tier 3 med and cost almost 50 bucks. I was on 90 mg and my neuro wanted me to go up to 120.

I felt Cymbalta helped with pain but I always still felt depressed. I used to be on Paxil, Lexapro, and celexa. I loved the way Celexa made me feel for the first six months, then it just stopped working. Then moved to Lexapro. I'll never feel the way I used to with Celexa, it was great.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for your respnses, so far I am doing pretty good with it, its 25 a month for me, 50 for 3 months if I mail it in. Paxil did good for me for a long time, buspar also, but lately it just wasnt helping.
I havent used the paxil for 2 days, I havent had any wd's so far.

hugs,
sisofD
Old 03-30-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Paxils were horrid for me, made me suicidal and worsened my depression 100 fold. I am on EffexorXR and they work much better for me and the side effects were about 50% of getting on the paxil. The ativan's were also too much for me and I was switched to seroquels which do not stay in your system past eight hours and you don't get that continous hangover effect or the amnesia, that ativans give "me". I still took four month to adjust to the effexors but I'm glad I stuck it out and stuck with them. I still get stressed and anx in extream circumstances but the depression is 80%less.
I have two fam members who were on cymbalta short term and both said they worked well for them.
Don't give up:ghug3
Old 04-02-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've heard good things about cymbalta. I'm glad it's a newer med that seems to be working for many.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So far I am doing good with the cymbalta, I think it has been 5 days without the paxil, not feeling any of the wd's I used to, I am still having trouble with my blood pressure, my doctor wanted to see if switching might help that to, so will give it a bit more time.
I have cried allot this week, my brothers funeral was 2months ago yesterday, I miss him so much.

hugs,
sisofD
Old 09-13-2009, 09:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A bit of my story

I am very glad that some people are doing ok on cymbalta, I hope that they stay side effect free.

I use to come to this forum to read the posts for help in my active alcoholism, I have since changed my username to reflect a true change in my life. However I have not been here for many months.

For years I have struggled with alcoholism, but didn't start drinking until later in life. I thought I was a late onset alcoholic. I have searched for help in every place I could to help me stop drinking. I did go to a treatment center for many weeks, got a sponsor and went to AA meetings. I worked the steps over and over again but with no success. I could not stop drinking, this was truly hell for me, I did not want to drink, I hated drinking and when I did drink I had extreme remorse and sorrowful. I tried every technique I learned in rehab and other places again and again, nothing worked. When I drank it had no correlation to any triggers, thoughts or situations. Well, with active alcoholism there are grave consequences, and of course I have suffered them. My wife divorced me, I lost my long term job, I lost my house, I had to file bankruptcy.

With all that I have lost and nothing to show for my years of hard work I accepted the fact that I would only stop drinking when I was dead. But, I did not believe in taking one's life, plus I didn't want to leave my three kids without a father. So, I kept on going.....still trying to "fake it til ya make it" Without my job I did not have any kind of insurance, and I could not afford the prescription for cymbalta any longer. I heard from some source that stuck in my mind that I had to taper off this drug. So I tapered.

I cut my dosage down in 30mg increments, from 90 to 60 to 30 then nothing. When I completely stopped the last dosage I noticed something within a few days. I haven't had a drink. I didn't think much of it at the time, then I realized I went a full week, then another full week without a drink. Don't get me wrong the withdrawls from this drug are brutal and severe, and I am still suffering to this day with them. However I thought this was very odd that I haven't had a drink in over 2 weeks. So, I thought I would see if there was any info about this link I have experienced. I googled it and I could not believe what I saw. Tears ran down my face and my heart fluttered with pain.

I researched more and more about this, and looked very hard at every possible explanation in great detail. Without any doubt in my mind cymbalta gave me an uncontrollable compulsion for alcohol, I absolutely could not stop drinking while on this drug. It has been months and months and I do not drink anymore! Now that my mind is cleared up, all the pieces of the puzzle have fallen into place. Absolutely nothing can explain from having to have to drink every 3 days or so to nothing to drink. I am so grateful that I do not drink anymore, God has really answered my years of prayer. But I wish it was a miracle rather than practical means (losing my job and insurance, thus forcing me to quit the drug) If I would have know this years ago, I wouldn't have lost everything. It never ever dawned on me that it could be the medication causing this. Now I have a choice if I want to drink or not, and to me NOW its a no brainer!

This is truly a very sad tragedy, and I am left "holding the bag." After all the research I have done about these meds I encourage and beg whoever is considering taking these types of meds to exam everything about them, the best medicine is knowledge.

Thank you for taking time to read this, God bless.

Last edited by Morning Glory; 09-13-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Removed link
Old 09-14-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So, you think cymbalta made you drink? wow I'd never heard that. My rheumatologist suggested putting me on it for what appears to be fibromyalgia but I said no, now I'm extra glad I did
Old 09-14-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

I feel like Cymbalta made me more "thirsty" as well, but I really have no evidence to back this up. If you look around the web, others seem to have the same story. But I also feel like I have to take responsibility for starting to drink again.

In any event, after the relapse, and almost 7 days with no alcohol, I start Pristiq tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't understand why my post was edited, there was no links in it....just a website name......oh well, I guess I have to wait to have 15 posts in order to post a link.....that should be no problem.

Yes, you don't have to do much searching to find others that has had this side effect from cymbalta, also there are some books out there that have stated this. I am not saying that everyone will become an alcoholic by taking cymbalta, but it is a possible side effect for some. I know in my case it was.

I can't stress enough to research everything there is to know about what ya put into your body.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have taken cymbalta for several years now and it has never had the effect of giving me cravings for alcohol. I have experienced dry mouth but that passed. I have over 8 years of sobriety and have yet to find a medication that has made me drink and I have been on several over the years. For me to drink or not to drink is something that is directly affected by the program I work to maintain my sobriety. The program that has worked for me is AA. It is not a program for everyone just as Cymbalta is not a medication for everyone. Best of luck to you and I do hope you find a medication that helps without adding to your cravings.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

lifeafter,

I removed the website due to possible medical advice that should be obtained through each person's physician. It can be very dangerous for some to stop taking their medication.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hmmm

Morning Glory, I didn't see any possible medical advice or actual medical advice on that website, just information, articles and studies. I apologize and I will be careful what I post in the future. I couldn't agree more with you about coming off or changing dosages of these medications, these are the most dangerous times from what I have learned.

nandm, I am very glad that you are having a good outcome with your meds. Also with AA, it is a great program that works for many, I think the 12 steps is a great way to live one's life. Thank you for wishing me luck, but I am not seeking anymore medication (long story) and also cymbalta didn't add to my cravings, it caused it.

God Bless :praying
Old 10-27-2009, 01:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow

WOW, to much of my surprise this is not a new subject to this website. I found an old thread that mentions this very subject. It's in the Alcoholism Information board on the Alcoholism forum in the Alcohol Cravings Induced via Increased Serotonin thread. Sorry I can't post links yet, otherwise I would have just posted the link.

Only if I had know this was possible, it would have saved me much pain and sorrow.

God Bless