SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   Xanax or Valium? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/171463-xanax-valium.html)

AUDRADAVID 03-11-2009 03:49 PM

Xanax or Valium?

Hello everyone. Been a long time as usual. I have been going thru hell lately with myself and my nerves. Long story short my son reported to me that his half sister was being molested by their grandfather. I immediately reported it to police and an investigation has begun. However my fiance and I have been threatened physically and menatally by that side of the family in person and over the phone and have repoted all that as well to the police. They think I made it up, but anyways, since all that my therapist suggested I see a psychiatrist because my levels of stress are thru the roof. I sleep 3 hrs a day in the early light hrs because I am up all night long watching my house to make sure no one comes here and damages my house or car. I cant get up in t a.m. to bring my oldest on to school. I have lost 10 lbs in 2 months. Basically Im a paranoid zombie who breaks down in tears over the slightest thing. My therapist said I am high strung and have a lot of anxiety in general and now this has put me over the edge and is ruining my sanity, or whats left of it.

She suggested seeing a physchiatrist who can prescribe medication. Does anyone have any experience with meds like xanax or valium? I am a very nervous person when it comes to meds and a "dopey" feeling. I had 2 c-sections and refused opiate medication because I dont like the feeling. Im also scared to take more than 1 tylenol for pain and has and will never take cold medication when sick because I am afraid of a the "weird" feeling side effects. I have also never taked the birth control pill because of the possible side effects. So I am scared to tke drugs for my anxiety that Im going thru right now, but my life is falling apart due to my high levels of stress. Please any comments and advice is needed!!!! Thanks....:a108:

Jrock75 03-11-2009 04:38 PM

The only thing I can say about xanax or valium is be carefull and try to find a non-addictive alternative. Oh one more thing... if you don't want a doped-up,slowed-down feeling Benzodiazapines will do you no favors. I can't lie though,in my very non-professional opinion Xanax would help(at first). But then will become a bigger problem all in itself. Benzo's suck IMHO. All psych meds suck IMHO actually. But goodluck with your situation,and I hope everything turns out o.k,esp with the children.

historyteach 03-11-2009 06:06 PM

A good non addictive anti anxiety med is BuSpar. I used it years ago.
one caveat. It works wonders for some, and not so great for others. So, it's a shot in the dark. But, there's no ill side effects and no addiction, so, it's worth that shot anyway, in my opinion. I thought it was great. If I needed a daily med today, I would take it again.

Another one is Trazadone. It's actually a very mild antidepressant with anti anxiety properties too. Helps me to sleep like a baby! Does not *put* me to sleep, but, *lets* me get to sleep, if you can hear the difference. And, if I wake up, I can get back to sleep too! It's great, if you ask me, and again, it's not addictive. Again, one caveat, take this med @ 10 hours *before* you want to wake up. That way, there's no groggy feeling. You'll wake up fresh and renewed. :)

I agree, the xanax and the valium should be last choice meds for anyone, especially someone with issues about taking meds to begin with. :dunno

Anyway, please continue to let us know how it's going. We care. :hug:

Shalom!

Jrock75 03-12-2009 04:59 AM

Actually... when I googled trazodone it seemed to have ALOT of adverse reactions. But eh. I don't wanna disagree with you and get another post deleted.. LOL

Mattcake 03-12-2009 11:01 AM

We're all different. Trazodone didn't help me much, but it works wonders for a lot of people :)

SSRIs can help with anxiety and sleep problems; unlike benzos, they usually take a while to kick in. It might still be an alternative worth exploring, though. I'm glad your therapist directed you to a psychiatrist, as all psych. meds must be prescribed and monitored carefully; additionally, s/he should be able to address your concerns about taking them.

Good luck, keep posting :)

Tidd 03-12-2009 02:16 PM

If you dont want that dopey feeling stay away from xanax.
Im trying to stop abusing those at the moment. It all started because i couldnt sleep so a friend gave me one. I popped 1mg and slept like a baby pretty soon after i was just popping them for the hell of it. Sometimes you cant even function. My speech was slurred, and if you drink with them makes it even worse.

Morning Glory 03-12-2009 04:05 PM

All medication works differently for everyone so there is no way to tell you how you will feel on a medication or if it will work for you.

I am like you when it comes to medication and I don't like taking anything. A couple of times in the last several years I had to take something because I reached a breaking point in my stress levels. I took an SSRI for about 6 months each time.

I stay away from Effexor and Paxil due to the well known withdrawals when you stop taking them. I don't want to chance going through that. It is my experience that doctors will initially try to put me on Paxil or Effexor and I have to stand my ground to turn it down. I know some people take Paxil and Effexor without problems though.

My experience with the SSRI's is uncomfortable side effects for the first week. This included stomach cramps and headaches. The side effects went away after a week. I was able to abruptly stop taking Prozac without any problems at all after 6 months.

I personally avoid anything that might be addictive so I have never used Xanax. I see Xanax prescribed a lot with an SSRI for a few weeks to bring relief until the SSRI kicks in. I was able to manage without using Xanax. The Prozac made me sleepy enough at night and helped with sleep immediately. I tried Zoloft initially because I heard it was good for anxiety, but I couldn't hold it down. I also tried Lexapro and Celexa and they were about the same as Prozac, but didn't help me as much with sleep.

The doctor prescribed Ativan for me once with my initial SSRI and I took one at bedtime a couple of times and they seemed mild to me. She insisted that I wouldn't get addicted to them since I didn't have addiction issues. I ended up throwing the whole bottle away because I didn't need to use them.

I was on Remeron once and the initial side effects were brutal. It was like having full blown flu for 2 weeks. I gained 40 pounds taking that one. Weight gain was not an issue for me with the other SSRIs I took.

This is my personal experience and it could be completely different for you. Tell your psychiatrist your concerns and don't be afraid to let him/her know if it doesn't work for you. Unfortunately it is trial and error until you find something that works for you.

nandm 03-12-2009 04:52 PM

I suffer from Post traumatic stress disorder which results in considerable anxiety. I see a psychiatrist for my medications and have a therapist for the emotional needs of the disease. What I have found works well for me is Klonopin. It reduces my anxiety and I can usually function well while taking it. There are days though that it can leave me quite physically sleepy but usually those are days when I am already tired from the lack of sleep and nightmares from the PTSD. I have tried xanax and valium....both of which left me quite tired, lethargic, and feeling like a zombie. (Disclaimer: all drugs work differently for different people, this is just my experience)

AUDRADAVID 03-13-2009 02:38 PM

thanks guys, my appt in next friday. i think im gonna look into the buSpar more because it sounds like something that is more for me since im so scared of side effects with meds. my friend was on paxil for about a year and a half and gained 90 lbs so im staying clear of that. thanks again :)

Puddy 03-13-2009 02:55 PM

Take all the benzos you want, just don't call yourself sober.

If you have legitimate mental illness like schizophrenia, tourette's or something that's a different story, but anxiety can be treated naturally with the steps, yoga, exercise, and deep breathing. If you're not willing to treat anxiety or depression by these natural methods you can't be attempting a life of recovery. You're just continuing to use chemicals to change the way you feel.

Trust me, you don't want to go down the benzo / antidepressant/anti-anxiety/sleeping pill road.

I called myself sober on benzos and AD's for 5 years and it very nearly killed me dead. I am not exaggerating or being dramatic.

nandm 03-13-2009 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Puddy (Post 2147863)
Take all the benzos you want, just don't call yourself sober.

If you have legitimate mental illness like schizophrenia, tourette's or something that's a different story, but anxiety can be treated naturally with the steps, yoga, exercise, and deep breathing. If you're not willing to treat anxiety or depression by these natural methods you can't be attempting a life of recovery. You're just continuing to use chemicals to change the way you feel.

Trust me, you don't want to go down the benzo / antidepressant/anti-anxiety/sleeping pill road.

I called myself sober on benzos and AD's for 5 years and it very nearly killed me dead. I am not exaggerating or being dramatic.

It is clear from your post that you have never had to deal with a real anxiety disorder. There is a distinct difference from the anxiety one feels occasionally in life or when they are first trying to get sober and the overwhelming, overpowering, debilitating anxiety that can not be treated with just yoga and exercise. While I appreciate your opinion, I in no way agree with it and believe it is a dangerous opinion to toss around. Have you ever known someone to commit suicide because some well-meaning clueless person told them there were not sober if they were taking anti-depressants? I have. I have tried the non medical routes to deal with my depression and my post traumatic stress disorder which anxiety is very much a part of. I have been sober for 8 years as of today. I do not consider myself any less sober for taking prescribed medications to treat real medical problems. I am very fortunate that judgmental people like you do not attend the AA meetings I attend. I wish you the best and hope the day never comes when you are responsible for someone's suicide because you decided to play doctor and tell them they did not need medication to treat their medical conditions.

Jrock75 03-13-2009 05:40 PM

I little overdramatic,but you make a good point. I had to take a xanax today to deal with the mutiple panic attacks I've had today... but then again I don't like having to rely on them either.

sfgirl 03-13-2009 09:03 PM

I think in general these are questions better left to your psychiatrist and trial and error. Ultimately, medication really does affect each person and body very differently and so it may be that one medicine works amazing for me but makes you feel like a zombie. I have/had panic disorder and used to have panic attacks daily. In my experience, when your anxiety level is significantly above normal benzos would just bring me back to normal. If I took more than warranted for the attack I would end up feeling zombie-ish and out of it and I hated it. But they were a lifesaver, sometimes just knowing that I had them there was enough. What ultimately kicked the pattern of daily random attacks, however, was a low daily dose of SSRIs, and I view it as a lifesaver.

You should talk with your psychiatrist though because they will know so much more. Things to think about are half-life. Xanax sort of gives me a kick like alcohol (I told my psychiatrist this and therefore I preferred it and then she was like ok ativan only for you) because it is more fast acting and wears off more quickly while Ativan is longer acting and a slower build-up. However, I understand the concern about not wanting to take the drugs. I always had a hesitation towards the benzos even at my worst. This seems very situational, you could try other things first, although you probably have, like exercise, etc, but the drugs could significantly improve your quality of life and better prepare you to deal with an already difficult situation.

AUDRADAVID 03-14-2009 10:34 PM

thanks puddy, i think i will look into hypnosis as well. i dont have any addiction problems (just wanted to clarify) the reason i joined SR yrs ago was because i had an ABF

Morning Glory 03-14-2009 11:36 PM

PTSD and severe anxiety are no joke and it's the hardest thing I've ever gone through in my life and I almost didn't survive it. I've been through some really hard things too and the PTSD and severe panic was the worst.

I went through it without any medication because they didn't have a diagnosis for me or medication in my day. It took me 10 years of sheer torture and terror to get past the worst of it. My panic attacks were so severe that the adrenaline going through my muscles left me paralyzed in the hospital for a short time. I couldn't even use my muscles to dress myself or feed myself. I began to have severe muscle cramps that finally burned up enough adrenaline so I could use my muscles again.

Panic attacks and PTSD untreated can lead to suicide. That is not being over-dramatic. I tried hypnosis tapes, every self help book I could find, meditation, natural cures, diet, counseling, etc...and nothing helped me. When I see others in treatment get past all of that in a year due to treatment I literally break down and cry thinking of all I went through when it could have been treated.

It is also important in recovery to be treated for addiction and mental health issues at the same time. Many self medicate with drugs and alcohol to treat mental health issues. Ignoring mental health issues can lead to relapse.

On the other hand I've read many posts on this forum over the years by addicts who say SSRIs are a trigger for relapse for them. I believe that is true for some people and everyone needs to work closely with their physician or psychiatrist when being treated. I do believe that SSRIs and other anxiety medication can be dangerous for some addicts in recovery due to the triggers and potential for abuse. The same goes for those who have to take pain medication for disabling pain due to medical issues.

It is not an easy road, but I've seen many here surround themselves with support and they found a way to be accountable so they could receive treatment with prescribed medication when necessary.

Jrock75 03-15-2009 05:26 AM

I'm personally one of those guys that thinks a SSRI would just make my situation worse. During my last psychotic break (98) they never put me on an anti-depressent,they just used Zyprexa. It seemed to help,although I got a euphoric feeling from them and took more then prescribed. Long story short one day I took about 20 pills at once and had to wallk about 5 miles home. All I remember is blacking in and out on my way home( couple of times coming too just to realize I was walking in and out of traffic)
When I got home I collapsed in the bathroom and passed out for two days right on the bathroom floor. Needless to say I never refilled that script. All the Anti-psychotics,mood stablizers,anti-psychotics only seem to add to my problems. (more confused thinking,risk-taking,suicidal thoughts) In fact the only times I've been suicidal has been while either on or coming off a psych med. My M.D says he will only fill my xanax script one more time due to it's addictive qualities,then I'll have to talk to a psychiatrist. That in itself is going to bring back some bad anxiety since every experiance I've had with one has been bad.
I am one of those people that tries to self-medicate with marijuana,and I know marijuana use in itself can cause anxiety but it calms me down.. I generally don't have any panic attacks while "stoned". I know self-medication really isn't the key,but I don't think any legal medication is the key either. Hopefully when I go to a psychiatrist this month he doesn't try to just cover up all my issues with meds that turn me into a zombie,and tries some CBT first. But alas I don't feel like that's how modern psychology works,we don't try to deal or talk about our feelings. We're just made to hide them by taking polydrug cocktails for the rest of our lives without dealing/talking out the feelings that brought us to them in the first place.

I'm sorry I know I rambled there.. I just hope this post is deemed somewhat usefull and doesn't get branded off-topic and deleted.

Morning Glory 03-15-2009 11:20 AM

My experience with most of the psychiatrists is that they only prescribe and monitor medication. Psychologists do most of the talk therapy these days. I've never really been able to find anyone to help me because most are just book smart and don't understand my complex problems. I think you will have to find someone who specializes in CBT if that's what you want to try. Don't expect the psychiatrist to do that. Maybe you can ask for a referral.

nandm 03-15-2009 08:57 PM

While medications may be an issue for some in recovery, I have found that they have not been a problem for me. I have made a point to be vigilant and cautious with their use. At 6 months of sobriety I had a bad motorcycle wreck and was placed on oxycontin and oxycodone for pain. I was on the oxycontin for 4 months and then oxycodone as needed for several more months. I made a point to make myself accountable. I did not allow myself to take any of the medications until the time they were due. If I did not need the as needed oxycodone I did not take it even if it was a time when I could. What I found was that mentally I had no problem with these medications. In fact I stopped taking the oxcycontin cold turkey not realizing that physically I had become addicted to it. By the time I realized I was in physical withdrawls nearly a week had passed since I quit taking the med so there was no need for me to be concerned since I was through the worst of it. Mentally though I never craved or obsessed about the medication. I never took it to escape from reality. I have also been on anti-depressants during my sobriety as well as medications to help manage my bi-polar disease and PTSD. I do have a benzo, Klonopin, which I take as prescribed for anxiety attacks. None of these medications are meds that I take to get high or change life. I take it because without the medications the chemicals in my brain are not right and my brain becomes insane. I say that because I have tried stopping the medications and just do exercise, yoga, herbals, self help, positive thinking, working the program of AA, etc.... What happened was the first thought that would come to my head when I awoke each morning was "put a gun to your head". But as soon as that thought hit my logical brain would say "why in the world would you feel you need to do that? There is nothing wrong with your life, in fact it is better than it ever has been". That is insanity, the knowing that your thinking is insane yet not being able to stop it. It is enough for me to know that I need to take the medications to keep the chemicals in my brain at correct "normal" levels. The anxiety is the same way. Deep breathing, exercise and all that stuff is great with the everyday anxiety people can get. But the anxiety that comes with disorders such as PTSD or bi-polar are something completely different than every day anxiety and are not so easily dismissed. I celebrated 8 years sobriety this past week and consider myself sober. The mental health meds I take are to me no different than the cholesterol or blood pressure medications that I take. They are taken to deal with a real medical condition and as long as I am taking them as prescribed then I am sober. If the day comes I take them for some other reason then I would have to consider myself having gone out.

I truly appreciate what you said Morning Glory as your post was one I could truly relate to. Thank you for your posting.

historyteach 03-17-2009 05:43 AM

A good clinical social worker is who you want to see for talk therapy, including CBT, (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy). They take the time to deal with issues in debth. If they feel you need meds, they may talk to you about it, but, they cannot prescribe. Sometimes, both are necessary, if only for a short time. But, if you get a good social worker, there's no short cuts; it's hard work. It's often painful. But, you'll come out better for it.

I wish you well.

Shalom!

Puddy 03-17-2009 08:04 AM

Well, on the flip side, I almost committed suicide because of people who told me these things were ok to take.

I suggest anyone considering benzos or on benzos read The Ashton Manual and learn what exactly they are taking and how to safey withdraw.

Just listening to a doctor say "you need these" is potentially suicidal for an alcoholic or addict becaue most doctors have no clue about addiction, or the addictive properties of the drugs they are prescribing.

Take benzos at your own peril.