SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   Lexipro and weight gain (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/167011-lexipro-weight-gain.html)

NoChoice 01-18-2009 07:03 PM

Lexipro and weight gain

Hey, I have been on lexipro and have steadily gained weight for the last couple years. I have recently started to be really mindful of what I eat and the weight is barely moving! I am losing at a very very slow rate! I started thinking that maybe it was the Lexipro that was keeping the weight loss soooo sloooow! Can anyone relate?

historyteach 01-19-2009 06:18 AM

Lexapro is an SSRI. In @ 5% of the people taking it, there is weight gain; @ 1% loose weight. See this site for some suggestions: Lexapro and Weight Gain

It's not unusual, in my experience, for SSRI's to cause weight gain. I didn't fare well on them at all, and won't take them at all any more.
Anyone else?

Shalom!

scarlati 01-19-2009 07:01 PM

I took Lexapro for 8 months, and during that time I gained 30lbs. I was being really carefull about what I ate and I was getting tons of exercise. No matter what I did I couldn't stop gaining weight. It was great for my anxiety, but the weight gain was just too much for me to take, so I complained to my doctor about it and he switched me to Buspar. That was about a year ago, and once I got off Lexapro I started losing weight immediately. For me, Buspar works just as well as Lexapro did, but with no side effects. I think I'm one of the lucky ones, though, cause I've heard that Buspar doesn't work for a lot of people.

Anyway, yes, it probably is the Lexapro causing your weight issues. When I was on it I found a lot of websites with people complaining about weight gain because of Lexapro and other SSRIs.

NoChoice 01-19-2009 07:01 PM

Thanks TEACH! I was put on them to get thru a rough time of leaving my A, deploying and resettling back here in the states. I am on 15 mg a day and think that I want to get off of them gradually. I have a meeting with my Doc tomorrow....we will discuss! Thanks HistoryTeach.

scarlati 01-19-2009 07:05 PM

When you get off Lexapro, do it gradually. I quit Lex twice, and the first time I did it too fast and there were some withdrawal symptoms. The 2nd time I taperred down over 4wk and that worked much better. Hopefully your doctor will advise you on how to come down off it.

NoChoice 01-19-2009 07:12 PM

Thanks Scarlati, I have looked at a couple sites but your input is great as you have walked this road. I will talk to my doctor. I have been on a diet for a couple weeks and have been virtuous but have lost next to nothing and I have totally cut out all the bad stuff. Hmmmm this is going to be interesting! Thanks again for the feedback! Yes, gradual...that is what we will do.

Latte 01-19-2009 07:13 PM

I was on Cymbalta, a SNRI and I got off of it and slowly the weight is coming off. Blech.

I would consider going back on an antidepressant if the situation warranted it, but right now I'm doing really well.

NoChoice 01-20-2009 11:15 AM

Ok! I am tapering off! I was on 15 and I am going to 10 mg. We will see if this helps in any way! I sure hope so. I am really careful about what I eat & exercise too. I am going to have labs run too for thyroid. Hypo runs in my family! Thanks so much.

historyteach 01-22-2009 02:08 AM

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes in the end, ok?

Shalom!

NoChoice 01-23-2009 04:52 PM

Thanks I will. I would like to be off of the Lexipro all together but not sure that will fly but it would be nice. Thanks for your post!

krisgrace 02-23-2009 11:37 AM

I am on 20 mg of Lexapro, I dont think I gained weight from it....
If anything I lost weight. I also got on Topamax for my migraines so that might have something to do with my weight lose....
My weight stays the same now though...