Notices

Thinking about getting Xanax for anxiety...

Old 02-25-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have taken from 2mg to 4mg of Xanax daily, except on weekends, for years. I was an alcoholic during that time period. I quit the Xanax on more than one occassion for more than a month each time for various reasons, and never had any withdrawal symptoms.
My brother, however, is a different story. If he runs out of Xanax he will call saying if he doesn't get to borrow some, I should call 911 to get an ambulance to take him to the hospital, because he's genuinely afraid he will have a heart attack and die. My brother doesn't lie to me just to get the stuff, and I take him at his word.
So, I can tell you that it CAN be addictive, but just like other medication, and even alcohol, different people react differently. I can also tell you that if you go in to a doctor's office these days asking for Xanax, you aren't likely to get it. The DEA has them terrified of prescribing anything that might be taken for recreational purposes.
I wish you the best.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Highly addictive and very dangerous. My understanding is that there are two things that people need to be medical supervised during detox for and that is alcohol and xanax. Abuse of and then quitting either of these can kill somebody, the other stuff will just make feel like your dying.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

alcohol and xanax

I'm addicted to both and need help desperately...I'm afraid all the time..don't know where to turn....live in Cleveland Ohio wish I could find a support group for females but up to this point haven't found one. My husband knows about the alcohol he has no idea about the xanax. Need any advise. Help Please

Melanie
Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Melanie, please start by having an honest talk with your doctor. You can get medical help for withdrawal from both alcohol and benzos, so please start the process by talking with your doctor.