SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   OCD coming back (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/150362-ocd-coming-back.html)

jfk45 05-21-2008 01:44 PM

OCD coming back

I have been doing so well until recently. Now the intrusive thoughts are coming back and I had to call my doc for some klonopin. I'm just frustrated I guess that this is resurfacing again. I just wish I could feel normal and not let the triggers get to me so easily. Well just venting my frustration I guess. If anyone has helpful ways of not letting the triggers set off the obsessive thoughts and fears, it is more than welcome.

Solitudes4th 07-08-2008 12:46 PM

Wow.. I have severe O.C.D., I've been on Suboxone for nearly 8 mo. and being off drugs intensified my obsessive thoughts and erratic behavoirs. I too take klonopin for it b/c I tend to panic in my head and go in to a full blown freak out!! I can so relate to you on that. My doc asks all the time if I plan to be on klonopin for the rest of my life, I don't even have a response. I want to be able to control it, but how? I know that wasn't much help to you, but hearing that someone else being sober has that same struggle reminds me that I am not alone in any of this. If ever you can give me any tips, please don't hesitate and I will do the same.

respektingme 07-12-2008 04:13 AM

I have taken Klonopin before for anxiety and to help me go to sleep. The effects really diminish quickly with regular use. Since it can be addictive, and I realized I was going to have to take more and more for the same effect, I really tried to only use it when really necessary, not just for lesser episodes.

sct 07-18-2008 02:18 PM

I accept that I'm obsessive compulsive, probably beyond just 'addict' levels. (Interestingly enough, addiction itself is classified as a kind of obsessive compulsive disorder...)
I try to find distractions, or 'saner' ways of managing. Playing a game that requires organizing shapes and colors (I'm a big fan of puzzle games) or doing laundry or dishes (I set timers to keep me from doing the same dish, or folding the same piece of clothing over and over). If those don't help I try to write about what I'm feeling, or go for a walk or a run. These are just some things that help me when I feel out of control.

butterflylover 07-24-2008 04:12 PM

I, too, have suffered from OCD. I've had it since I was a child. And I was on Lortabs for Arthritis and chronic back pain. I got on Suboxone to get off the Lortabs. Now, my OCD is in FULL swing. You are not alone.

schematic 09-13-2008 11:41 AM

I have severe OCD as well. It started when I was a teenager. I drank to self-medicate and became addicted to alcohol. In my late 20's I started having anxiety attacks. I have all the classic symptoms; washing, checking, repeating, mental obsessions, you name it... I can't take benzodiazepines because I'm prone to abusing them. Pot seems to help a little, but it is expensive and illegal. I have a hard time holding down a job because of my symptoms and a hard time staying sober for anything more than a few weeks. I sometimes experience depression to the degree that I just want to give up on living. That's about where I'm at right now...

2stop 09-14-2008 05:08 AM

jfk...............I hav ehad OCD for many years.

I have to remember a book I read by a doctor that really helped me. Recently my OCD has worsened after a year or two of some relief from it.
Every day when I leave for work I have to go back in my house check that candles are not lit, that the doors are locked, the pets are safe, the stove coffee pot off, on and on, sometimes in public the intrusive thoughts....they are more painful than physical pain.
Cognitive behavioral therapy with medication I belieev is the most effective, several studies support this approach. From my experience I can only recommend a therapist specializing in OCD and to know others suffer and have found peace and sanity.

I think the title of the book was Brain Lock..by a Jeffery something.LOL...I have been stressed to the max lately and my memory fails me. Will get back to you on that.

Hang in there. I know the pain of OCD....and I know it CAN get better.even though I cried and screamed to therapists for YEARS that it would NEVER get better.ever.it was too awful........

**********************{warmest hugs}}}}}}}}}}}