Notices

Having really bad panic attacks

Old 07-10-2008, 05:03 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My dogs are my "grounding" in reality. They also love me no matter what, unlike my family members, who 'reward' me for good behavior and 'chastize' me for bad behavior. I am grateful to have the dogs for comfort. I am dealing with this anxiety the best I can.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
My dogs are my "grounding" in reality. They also love me no matter what, unlike my family members, who 'reward' me for good behavior and 'chastize' me for bad behavior. I am grateful to have the dogs for comfort. I am dealing with this anxiety the best I can.
((least)), you are doing your very best, and I admire you for continuing to post here and share with us when it is so difficult for you. It takes courage to open yourself like that, and I think it's great.

I used to like going jogging with my sister's Australian Shepherd dogs. I'd get a little winded and think maybe I should quit, and I'd look down at them and how their magnificent bodies were effortlessly carrying them along, and it would give me energy to go on. Maybe you can develop a little crutch like that for yourself. Imagine how your dogs would handle a fearful or anxious situation, and see if some of that energy might carry over. Or better yet, take them out and watch how they handle unfamiliar situations.

What are you doing to love you no matter what? You so deserve it. Do you have a favorite hobby or activity you like? Been out to eat with a friend? Are you able to go out and see a movie or sporting event? It might help give your mind something else to process and give your emotions a moment to rest.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
9/15/08

@ Least

Just checking in to see what helped.

My case is similar to yours. I'm on day 31 of sobriety from alcohol.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My anxiety attacks have gotten much worse in the last couple weeks and most of it is due to financial troubles. Barely working and only surviving thru my family paying my bills, which they can no longer do. Human services has a teeny program for those of us waiting on a Soc Security decision but the program only gives you medicaid and $115 cash per month, which will barely make a dent in my problems. The gas was shut off last week and the other utilities are coming due and no money to pay them.

I am so sick of living without utilities and toilet paper and other things. I am still unable to do most regular jobs and am getting very desperate. I am praying for a quick decision on my disability claim but I don't think anything could make Soc Security move any faster.

Do I have to be completely destitute and homeless before I can get help??

I am so sick of my miserable existance. I can't do anything right.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Oh ((least)), you are in our thoughts, and I'm sorry things are so hard for you right now. I wish I could do or say something really helpful, and I guess the thing I am really good at is listening, so I hope you can keep posting and telling us what you are feeling. It's good to hear from you. You are a special person in your own right, and it sucks that the system has few resources and takes so much time.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Least)))

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Do you have family or friends to lean on in real time?
Doesn't your counselor have any emergency contacts for you?
I'm so sorry for what you are going through...
:praying
Shalom!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

3 weeks ago, then 3 days ago. My GAD worried the people at campus so much they decided I wasn't fit to live in my dorm. I tried explaining what I had and that with time I could cope, but they were not listening, to them the rational reaction was to kick me out and send me back to my parents instead of letting me try to adjust.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:47 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
To Life!

Oxford,
If you have an IEP, (Individualized Educational Plan), they would have to accomodate your needs. Talk to your doctor about it. Are you still going to school?

Shalom!
Old 09-24-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Least, how was the appointment? I occasionally venture around and have recently seen your sterling posts to others. What a beautiful, loving, giving, unselfish and wise person you are.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:08 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
Oxford,
If you have an IEP, (Individualized Educational Plan), they would have to accomodate your needs. Talk to your doctor about it. Are you still going to school?

Shalom!
It took me forever to find this message. I'm not sure what an IEP is. I am going to disability to find out about medication and they've also helped me find out plans to deal with my hearing problems
Old 09-24-2008, 10:59 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just to keep current, I'm not having near the anxiety I was, tho it's not gone away. Just more tolerable than it was. Could be sobriety keeping it at tolerable levels. Maybe due to having a steady income now, but nowhere near as bad.

Oxford, an IEP means they'd have to work WITH you instead of just shoving you out the door. Do look into it.

Thank you and hugs to all for sticking with me!

:ghug3
Old 09-25-2008, 02:48 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
To Life!

An IEP is a legal document that ensures your legal rights to an education are protected. That means that accomodation are made for your particular needs. And since you've just mentioned hearing issues on top of mental health issues, you have a right to have an IEP for sure. You need to see an educational advocate. See your counselor at the school and ask for one. If you get no where, see a lawyer. All cost WILL be returned to you. This is federally mandated.

Best of luck!

Shalom!
Old 10-18-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Was beginning to feel some relief from my anxiety and depression but my kids are really good about making sure I don't forget where I came from or who I used to be. It must be their mission in life to keep me stranded in the past cause when I'm around them, especially the youngest two, I feel almost suicidal, certainly don't like myself any better than they like me - which is very little unless there's something in it for them.

For all that I love my kids, even if my love doesn't mean giving them everything they ask for, I almost wish I'd stopped after the first one. I wasn't a very good mother to my eldest, but I sure went downhill when I tried motherhood again eleven years later. I get along pretty well most of the time with the pregnant one, partly cause she's now able to get an inkling of what it takes to be a mother, but the youngest two are completely out of hand and out of reach. I am never "enough" for them. Not enough money, not enough normal mental health, not enough giving them whatever they want. I don't 'allow' them to treat me so badly, they just do. I am ready to put my phone calls on forwarding to their dad, since he "loves them" more than I do, at least in more tangible ways. I should just make them bother him for everything they want, cause I don't care anymore. Let them drive him nuts for a while.

It's too late now, at four kids, to wish I'd stopped at one, but I feel that way a lot. I won't give up my sobriety for anything, but it's still "not enough". I'll never be "enough" and the sooner I accept this fact the better off I'll be.

My life is worthless and I just don't give a sh!t anymore.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Least, when my grown daughter disrespected me...after I had gotten well enough to respect myself, I cut off contact with her for awhile.

and I have also been known to say..I brought you into this world and I can take you out! LMAO....that was not a suggestion!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

please let me know...

How things are for you now? I too am very familar with anxiety disorder and am recovered with an occasional episode now and then. I sure would like to share some of my experiences with you if you think it would be helpful for you.

I have to go for now but will definately be checking back later. Thanks for your kind words on my introduction post earlier today.

--mike
Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

i would get a 24 hour cortisol/adrenaline urine test done, also i would get your thyroid hormones checked out.

you could also get a serum serotonin blood and urine test done.

see what these levels read and go from there.
there are many causes to panic/anxiety attacks
some are:
1) hypoglycemia
2) insulin resistance
3) allergies
4) adrenal problem
5) serotonin, dopamine, noradrenaline issue
6) thyroid problem
7) HPA problem