Notices

caffeine and anxiety

Old 10-02-2007, 08:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hey sorry to be a wet blanket, but diet coke has a lot of harmful stuff in it.

1) they have linked diet coke to calcium loss (osteoporosis), esp for women.
2) the acid in the soda weakens the enamel of your teeth, not to mention stains.
3) aspartame is linked to cancer, and for many people it causes all types of side effects.
4) diet soda does have calories if drunk in mass quantities.
5) it can influence people to eat more. when the orosensory system is tricked by artificial sweetners, your body seeks out more calories to make up for the sweet sensation.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Afraid,

Dietcoke is not my favorite drink of choice although I have a sip sometimes.

Can you tell me how aspartan is linked to cancer?

Love and light,
Old 10-03-2007, 06:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I’d rather chug coffee all day long than drink diet soda! Those artificial sweeteners and the brain cancer studies freak me out. And these soda companies keep coming up with new and improved fake sugar that no one knows the affects of until decades later. Very scary to me.

Lilya, have you tried Peet's? Not to be a dope pusher, but I think this stuff is as good as it gets.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lilya View Post
Afraid,

Dietcoke is not my favorite drink of choice although I have a sip sometimes.

Can you tell me how aspartan is linked to cancer?

Love and light,
Hi Lilya,
I just researched the link, and a new study last year by the gov't found no link between aspartame and cancer when consuming 1-2 diet cokes (12 oz. each). However, in much higher doses rats were found to have increased rates of leukemia, brain cancer, and other related cancers.
Thus, I would be cautious about consuming a lot of diet soda. Rat physiology is quite similar to humans, so these risks 'could' be real.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks, Afraid and Barto.

I used to drink a lot of Diet-Coke, probably to make up for the alcohol, but I didn´t feel good drinking it and decided to have just a small glass from time to time.

There are doctors in my family and one of them consumes aspartame in small doses, for coffee mostly. He say´s it´s fine.

I got really scared when I watched a show on TV on mental diseases. Then you have one person who suffers from a certain disease and is monitored for 24 hours. Then you have two shrinks who talk about ways to get well.

In this particular show, a young girl suffered from compulsive addiction to Diet-Coke. She consumed huge bottles of it every day and night, slept only 4 hours to be able to drink it again. She set her clock by it. Then she spent her days watching depressive movies on TV and cry. It was frightening.

That made me want to stop drinking a lot of it!

About Peet´s, I don´t think I know it. Is it from Swiss? I know Starbucks - and I love it.

Love and light,
Old 11-01-2007, 05:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Mr. Peet was the man who put together Starbucks blends before he left to start Peet’s. He was the chef. Although Peet’s is also a bog company, he decided to keep to roasting coffee by hand in small batches rather than dominate the coffee market. If you want some really good beans, order this Holiday Blend.

http://www.peets.com/fvpage.asp?rdir=1&

I'm enjoying some right now.

BTW, has anyone noticed that anxiety is a temporary symptom of caffeine withdrawal. After eight days off, I started to get a bit anxious. So now I am tapering caffeine. What a fight!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Exclamation

http://www.peets.com/

Warning. It's good!
Old 02-15-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I agree with Lilya- it all depends on whether or not you are used to caffeine. If you are used to it, it probably doesn't add too much to anxiety, but will if you don't use it reguarly imo.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Caffeine is a stimulate drug. If you use it in high amounts you build up a tolerance and you would not feel the effects of the drug much at all. In this case, I would say that if you have a tolerance to caffeine then it would not contribute to anxiety. If you drink caffeine rarely then you would not have a tolerance and thus would feel the drug more. This would contribute to anxious feelings. If you have an anxiety disorder, it's best to refrain from stimulates such as caffeine, energy drinks, etc...

iNfiNiTeK
Old 02-23-2008, 04:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
To Life!

Here's a link that details the many caffeine related psychiatric disorders according to the DSM IV.
It doesn't matter where you get your caffeine from.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...disorders.html

Shalom!
Old 02-23-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, I feel much less anxious since cutting back my caffeine intake (down to 2 cups in the morning from approx. 6 cups throughout the day).

What's interesting is that I've also read anecdotal reports on the effects of caffeine depending on the drink it's in. Apparently coffee grains contain certain oils that also contribute to the jitters, which may explain why some people can't tolerate expresso, but are okay with freeze-dry granules. The -MASSIVE - amount of sugar in regular coke also contributes to the rush. For some reason, one small cup of green tea on an empty stomach will literally send me into a panic attack, but my a.m instant coffee doesnt, nor does the occasional Red Bull. And so on. So, yes, from what I've gathered it's best to avoid caffeine if you suffer from anxiety, but also take a look at what it is you're drinking.
Matt who is absolutely unwilling to give up his nescafe
Old 02-23-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Dont drink diet coke

I am sensitive to chemicals due to being an alcoholic/addict.(recovering) An unhappy liver and pancreas can cause all kinds of problems with your body's chemistry and mood. We should be as kind as possible to these organs by watching what we consume. Anxiety has been a problem for me as well, i can only handle 2 grande's a day max.

Watch out for cold medicine as well, it can contain amphetamine and ephedrine (speed). I found this out the hard way a few weeks ago, it was so bad i felt like going to the hospital for some adivan or something.

Three liters is way too much of anything unless its water
Don't Drink the Diet Coke

Green tea helps depression, speeds up metabolism which burns fat and it also contains caffeine.

Be well
Old 11-23-2009, 03:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Wink

I'd like to just share that after having two cases of tachychardia, Wolfs parkinsons white and AVNRT and lots of drug abuse and amphetamine abuse.I decided to quit everything altogether. I had two cathedar ablations to treat these disorders and still was experiencing a racing heart that usually only came about when I drank alot of alchohol. I struggled to completely quit using caffeine, cigarettes, alchohol, and pain killers after my last surgery and finally was able to do it, but experienced emmense anxiety and panick attacks and when I would drink a cup of coffee or other caffeine I would have a small case of tachychardia. I was always trying to relax which would bring on anxiety even more when sitting at home alone. It got to the point where I couldn't even leave the house because I was still worrying about these things. I also wasnt sleeping and to relieve me of this every now and then I would try and drink a cup of coffee which would relieve my anxiety completely but later on I would start thinking about my heart which led to panick attacks about how good I felt and stopped drinking caffeine all together and continued to have small cases of tachychardia. After my last cathedar ablation for the treatment of tachychardia they found nothing wrong with me. I kind of just lost all hope and refused to take xanax and started drinking caffeine again just to see if knowing that there was nothing wrong would alieviate sp? the strong feelings of anxiety I usually got from drinking caffeine and yes I felt jittery and scared that my heartrate might skyrocket but after telling myself I was fine and nothing out of the ordinary happening i felt extremely liberated and in a way one pepsi helped relieve so much anxiety. This being said I do not believe that caffeine leads to anxiety when not used to excessive extremes and yes it is a good idea to cut it out of your system but don't make a big deal about it if you have a hard time doing so and fail several times because this will lead to more anxiety. Taper yourself off the caffeine little by little. I will continue to use caffeine in moderation for a while as a crutch for the urges to smoke a cigarettes or to drink alchohol and other substances, but still will continue to keep my goal of eliminating dependency completely. I'd also suggest trying to eliminate most problems or stress in your life that make you feel you need caffeine before trying to cut out caffeine itself. Also, please excuse any incorrect grammar or puncuation I have used for I was never good at english and good luck to all who seek to rely on nothing but a sober state of mind.