SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   Scratching... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/130466-scratching.html)

catalina 08-10-2007 01:10 AM

Scratching...

Hello, I'm Cat. I have been dealing with with my anxiety disorder since I was a little girl....there have been good years and bad years. I havent been on meds or seen a psychiatrist in a few years, and I have a new problem: scratching.
I can't stop. I don't even see a connection between my anxiety level and the scratching. I just scratch, a lot, even if I'm telling myself to stop I can't. This happens a couple times a day. Has anyone ever experienced a compulsion similar to this? What does it mean, what will help me stop?
Thank you.

~Catalina

Introvrtd1 08-12-2007 02:34 PM

Cat,

Im no expert on this one, but ur possibly OCDing.

Is it that ur actually feeling itchy? Or no?

It may be something physiological to the anxiety. Just a guess.

Are u seeing a dr or therapist?

Professionals like these should be helpful.

Intro

catalina 08-15-2007 01:59 AM

No, Intro, I dont itch. I just scratch and scratch. Everyone has been telling me its a sign of OCD, so I'm considering going back to my psychologist about this, before it gets out of hand.

the night itch 10-17-2007 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by catalina (Post 1445317)
Hello, I'm Cat. I have been dealing with with my anxiety disorder since I was a little girl....there have been good years and bad years. I havent been on meds or seen a psychiatrist in a few years, and I have a new problem: scratching.
I can't stop. I don't even see a connection between my anxiety level and the scratching. I just scratch, a lot, even if I'm telling myself to stop I can't. This happens a couple times a day. Has anyone ever experienced a compulsion similar to this? What does it mean, what will help me stop?
Thank you.

~Catalina

hello, i have itching as well, it is an every night thing? i take benadryl for it. my husband thinks im addicted to it. i don't know. i have also been told i have ocpd. is this itching something to do with that? have you heard anything about it? im just looking for someone like me.

Lilya 10-18-2007 09:10 AM

Hi,

Compulsive scratching is well known in France under T.O.C (Troubles obsessionnels compulsifs). It´s considered one of the pathologie of anxiety and can be dealt with by using CBT.

Scratching becomes a repetitif ritual to get rid of anxiety. There must be a term for it in English. Try searching the Internet under Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

Good luck,

shugabooga 10-21-2007 05:55 AM

hi cat,

my anxiety goes back to childhood as well! i used to cry in the morning before i even got out of bed! just hearing the birds singing as the sun came up would make me cry. i have never understood it.

i also have my own version of scratching. my psychiatrist said i have a hyperactive brain and to just stop doing it. i pick at scabs on my scalp all day every day! sometimes it really hurts but i keep doing it and wonder if it's ocd or a strange form of cutting.......i've been doing this since childhood as well. i must have a million scars on my scalp. if i ever have cancer and take chemo and my hair falls out, the whole world will know!!!!!! yikes!

shugabooga 11-23-2007 08:37 AM

good news: less scratching now that i'm not drinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sugarssweetpea 12-07-2007 07:05 PM

I have eczema really bad & it keeps getting worse & worse. I cannot control the scratching. I also notice that I pick at the scabs as well. I have noticed that when I am talking to people, I automatically start to scratch my hands or my arms whether or not I am itchy. This post confirms that it is linked to my anxiety. I think some of it is allergy related as well as when I take claritin or benadryl, it is better.

vicoprincess93 12-12-2007 12:14 PM

i have mood changes based on time of day and compulsively pick scabs. I'm real scarred up from that

EmJaye 12-12-2007 04:09 PM

I do that as well. I was "picking" as I was reading this thread. My husband calls me a constant fidgeter, and it is getting worse, not better. I need to get back on meds.