Notices

Zoloft Withdrawal Symptoms....

Old 04-10-2007, 03:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Zoloft Withdrawal Symptoms....

Hello board,

I've been quitting Zoloft cold turkey for approximately 33 hrs so far, after weaning myself off a very low dose of 25 mgs for 5 days....
My psychiatrist prescribed me a small bottle of 5 mg Diazapam to help get me through until the 18th of April, & beyond my next appointment with him, if possible....
This is why I am posting tonight, as I have been having a difficult afternoon/evening, to a certain degree, & so far today I have taken 10 mgs in total of the Diazapam or Valium today as I felt I needed it to get through the afternoon/evening, after having a rather broken, disturbed sleep last night due to very vivid dreams, which I know are caused by the Zoloft withdrawal.....Now I don't want to alarm anyone, by talking about my dreams as they weren't suicidal, violent or depraved in any way, but they were a little unsettling & very vivid...
Nonetheless, the subject matter of my dreams, was, understandedly normal, as they were in relation to being kidnapped by a bunch of criminals & I know why I had this dream...
I discovered yesterday, that the lock on my front door was faulty & easily opened without a key, which didn't exactly put my mind at ease when I hit the sack last night....
I am renting a unit or flat & I have a lot of valuables in my home, which would make my unit a worthy target for thieves....
Well, my landlord sent a locksmith over today & my front door is now secure...which is good news....
I find the late afternoons & evenings especially hard, even when I was taking 50 mgs of Zoloft, but besides the fact that Zoloft did very little for my anxiety condition, I found the side-effects to be nearly as bad as if I wasn't taking any anti-depressants at all....
It helps to post on this board & I especially enjoy being able to help others here, as I have stated in earlier posts, as it gets my mind off my own problems & encourages me as well...
My psychiatrist has increased my dosage of Solian, up to 400 mgs & for those who aren't familiar with this drug, it is a very good anti-psychotic
which I was prescribed for a diagnosis of mild paranoid psychosis, many years ago....
I feel pretty discouraged tonight, even though I have been trying to divert my mind off my problems, I am trying to keep my faith secure in the fact that, personally I have decided that, my particular mental state isn't improved, even slightly by anti-depressants & that Benzodiazepins are going to be a short-term solution for my particular mental illness, because I am not willing to put up with the side-effects of most anti-depressants that I have either experienced personally or have researched either through word of mouth from people I have spoken to, or from other sources of information such as books, the Web or drug company information.....
Now please read on, I am in no way judging or trying to influence anyone who have been prescribed anti-depressants, to steer clear of them, for I am simply sharing my frustration with them, for me personally, as everyone is different, everyone's experience with certain medications differ in some way or another & for some, anti-depressants are a Godsend....
Many people are in danger of harming themselves or others, without anti-depressants & for some, anti-depressants can mean a light at the end of a very dark & painful tunnel...
Unfortunately, I can't talk to my psychiatrist until next Monday, as he will be on leave until the 16th of April....But it's not all bad news, as I have my support network in my local church & I have soberrecovery.com, which I see as my newfound family....
I hope I can resist taking one more 5 mg Valium tablet tonight & can learn to manage these slight withdrawal symptoms...
I have a friend who lives on the outskirts of my town & we communicate via the phone regularly, but he can be very negative due to the fact that he has some serious health problems, & he is a hermit.....
Perhaps it would be better if I don't talk to him while I am coming off Zoloft, as I talked to him this afternoon & the subject matter of our conversation triggered a negative reaction in me as he loves to provoke arguments & I find he can be very critical of things I am interested in.....
Well, this post has been a mini-novel, & I'm sorry for being so self-absorbed, but I guess they say that confession is good for the soul...

Thankyou for your patience everyone,
God Bless each & every one of you...
Old 04-10-2007, 05:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're having a hell of a day. I thought I would post here and ask you a question before I post my own 1 day of hell story.

Can I ask what withdrawl symptoms you're suffering from right now? I don't know that it's possible, but have you tried some serious exercise at home (If you've got the strength, a gym would be better). I could help put together a great program for you. I think the only place I have never had a panic attack is at the gym. Don't know why...don't know if there's any science behind, I just know that it's helped
Old 04-10-2007, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice, DaVinci,

In fact I have began exercising & I find that is of great benefit to me, as I went for a brisk walk early this morning & had a nutritious fruit breakfast....
As for withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft, I found them to be relatively minor, for me, personally, except for the vivid dreams & the occasional bout of a strange feeling of disorientation, which, when it occurs, only has a duration of a second or so.....
But I must advise anyone who is ceasing an anti-depressant, to wean yourself off it gradually, lessening the dosage, before going cold turkey....& consult your doctor before taking any course of action this drastic....
I feel a lot more positive, at this time in the evening, as I had an uplifting & encouraging conversation with a close Christian friend in my church....
My faith in God is helping me a lot too....

God Bless you Davinci, I have been thinking of you & will remember to pray for you....
Old 04-10-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went off Paxil cold turkey the first time I was on. The only withdrawl I had were the zaps. They weren't bad...but I had no idea what they were until I went online to check.

Walks are good to start. What about walking up and down stairs. Really get the heart going?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi DaVinci,

Yeah I guess the zaps, are what I'm experiencing, going off Zoloft cold turkey.....
How are you feeling today, DaVinci? Did you sleep well last night?
I slept for 7 hrs with the assistance of a relatively low dose of Diazapam....Although I would have liked to have slept a little longer, I still consider myself blessed to be sleeping at all, considering I'm going cold turkey...
I feel a lot better this morning, although, personally, I don't find the mornings have ever been a struggle for me...it's the afternoons & evenings I find the hardest slog....
I didn't have any overly vivid dreams last night & I'm hoping that it won't be long until the Zoloft is out of my bloodstream.....
I'm drinking plenty of fluids, which I believe is helping flush the medicine out of my system....
I am about to renew my monthly membership with my local gym next week, (I'm a little low on cash this week, as I overshot my budget this week with meds, doctors etc) & I look forward to getting back into some vigorous exercise as I love the endorphine high I get from working up a real sweat...

God Bless you DaVinci, I said a prayer for you last night, as I believe things are only going to get better for you, mate...
Old 04-10-2007, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi simon

i am currently on zoloft and i am feeling extremely sleepy but its helping me... i wish you luck my friend...
Old 04-10-2007, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thankyou for your post, Katwomankc......

As I said in my earlier posts, Zoloft & other types of anti-depressants can be a GodSend for some people & everyone's experience with these medicines is different....
It's good to know that you are responding to Zoloft, Katwomankc & it is great that it is making you sleepy as insomnia can be a big problem for people like ourselves with mental illness....
My mother has been on Zoloft for many years & she wouldn't go off it for the world, as she responds well to it & it has saved her life.....
My mother was suicidal & psychotic & Zoloft brought her out of a pit of despair.....
I was having severe allergic reactions to Zoloft such as mania, insomnia, no sex-drive & anxiety, & my personal conviction was that I no longer desired to take it, as it was making my illness worse, even after 5 yrs of use.....
Anyone who wants to cease anti-depressants, must always consult with their doctor or psychiatrist before proceeding with this drastic action....

God Bless you Katwomankc & I will pray that you become whole again while taking Zoloft.....

Last edited by Spacecat; 04-10-2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Grammatical error...
Old 04-11-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks simon i too will pray for you too. thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Katwomankc.....

Ever since I've come to www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders,
I've only ever had kind words of encouragement, prayers & good thoughts from everyone on this board, as well as wise advice....
We are all one big family here, united against a common cause, mental illness & I thankyou from the bottom of my heart for your heart-felt support, Katwomankc...
I feel like I belong here & it will be my new online home.....
I added you to my prayer list from the very first time we spoke & I am praying that God will use your prescribed new-found medicine to make you whole mentally, as well as asking God to give you abundant blessings in every area of your life....
I will also pray that Jesus will carry you through the difficulties of life when you find it difficult to walk on your own....

God Bless....
Old 04-11-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want,
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures,
He leadeth me beside the still waters, he restoreth my soul,
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his namesake,
Yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,
Thy rod & thy staff they comfort me,
Though preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies,
Though anointest my head with oil, mine cup runneth over,
Surely goodness & mercy shall follow me all the days of my life & I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever....

Last edited by Spacecat; 04-11-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Grammatical error...
Old 04-11-2007, 12:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks space cat i really do appreciate it. and your in my prayers to that you find what works for you too.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

best of luck to you--I have been on zoloft for Years now---several times the doc has tried me on another type--but they dont work and I have many side affects from them--none from zoloft.But that is just me-many others do--when I try to go off it under medical supervision of course I remember why I was on it to begin with LOL...50mg is really not even a therapuetic dose--more like 150mg-200mg a day for depression...
Old 04-11-2007, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks sunflower i have to say that i am feeling better on the zoloft.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dear Sunflower....
Firstly, I must say, please to meet you, Sunflower, what a beautiful screen name you have & avatar.....
The biggest dose of Zoloft I have ever been prescribed during my 5-6 years of taking the medicine, was 100 mg & that was only when I was truly depressed & my psychiatrist asked me to taper down to 50 mgs when I returned to a somewhat fragmented version of well-being, mentally, of which, at the time was debatable....
I just thought I'd fill you in on that little personal fact, & thanks for your post as it was helpful for me to know a typical dosage which is usually prescribed to other patients...
The possible reason for my Psychiatrist prescribing me such a relatively low dosage of Zoloft, might have been due to the fact that I was already taking an additional drug called Solian, which is an anti-psychotic type of medicine....
I was on a high dosage of 400 mgs of Solian which was used to treat a psychotic disorder I suffered from which was called mild paranoid psychosis....
This mental disorder wasn't caused by a history of substance abuse, but was caused by hormones in my body...

God Bless....
Old 04-12-2007, 04:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Good morning Simon...

I have been taking Zoloft for anxiety and depression since 15 November 06. I am currently taking 50mg...

It has really helped me especially with my anxiety and short temper with my wife. I also have an issue with "skin picking", mostly my thumbs. The Zoloft helped at first, but in the last month to six weeks, the picking has resumed along with some slight anxiety feelings...

I have an appointment with my Doctor this coming Monday and I'm going to explain my feelings and see if she thinks we should bump my dose up to maybe 100mg...

Zoloft has been a Godsend to me. It has given me back a feeling of well being that I haven't had in years. Depression runs in my family. My daughter has been taking Effector for a few years...

Best of luck to you Simon...

Have a peaceful day.

Steve

Old 04-12-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Here's a good site to read people's opinion of Zoloft, or any drug you want to find out about.

http://www.askapatient.com/viewratin...39&name=ZOLOFT

Steve

Old 04-12-2007, 08:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Me myself i am on 100 mg a day of zoloft. and it sure has helped the past 2 weeks i have been taking it. however i am soooo very sleeepy...
Old 04-12-2007, 11:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Originally Posted by katwomankc View Post
Me myself i am on 100 mg a day of zoloft. and it sure has helped the past 2 weeks i have been taking it. however i am soooo very sleeepy...
I am looking forward to increasing my dose. At first, it calmed everything including my picking, but I must have peaked because I can feel the edge creeping back...

I take mine at noon because thats when I first got out of the Doctor's office and I took it right away. I think most people take their's at bedtime. I haven't had any problems or issues taking it when I do...

If she does increase the dose, I may ask about taking 50mg at noon and the other 50mg at bedtime.

Steve

Old 04-12-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hi steve
good luck my friend. today i am not feeling so sleepy. my doctor wanted me to take half in the morning and half at night. but i just take all my meds at six am before work and i hope after my body gets used to it i wont feel so sleepy. i was taking lexapro and that just didnt help after a while. i hope zoloft helps me more. good luck to you.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Thanks katwomankc....

Best of luck to you also...

I'll let you know what my Doctor says. I am enjoying my new Zoloft life. I have had some rough years mentally before I sought help.

Steve