Notices

getting worse with age

Old 07-26-2006, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question getting worse with age

I've been drinking since I was 19, im now 23. I still drink the same amount I used to, but now I suffer worse hangovers, and get stupid when I drink.

I always used to be more in control when I was drunk, and hardly ever got hangovers.

Does anyone know why? I wounder if my liver isn't working as good as I did, even though the doctor did a liver function test that came out good.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more hostages

Hi Gsxr1!
Welcome to SR...
I don't have any answers to your questions, but I am sure someone does...stick around and read some posts and\or keep posting...
This place has saved a few of our a$$es!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. Many of us have the experience of alcohol being a lot of fun, and our lives even improve when we first get drunk a lot. But that's not normal. Our bodies adjust to something abnormal. Eventually it becomes more toxic, as our bodies become less capable of handling it, but we want it anyway because that's what we know, and we hope we can go back to the good old days. But that's like wanting to be 15 again.

The standard AA approach is 90 meetings in 90 days, and don't drink between meetings, but if you want to mix it up with LifeRing or Smart Recovery that's fine. Getting sober isn't easy, and we need support. You're likely to think "Who are these people?" But try to stay sober one day at a time and then see where you are in three months. You may not believe everything you hear, but you're likely to believe your own experience. Things change a lot.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations for seeking answers to your drinking.

Alcoholism is a disease and it is progressive.
I suggest you get more factual info

My favorite book on alcoholism is
"Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

Both can be ordered from Amazon...

Glad to see a new member...we do understand and you are not alone.

Blessings...
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First drink at 7 y.o. second at 9. First "drunk" at 13. Full time drinker by the time I was 16 and had my first job.The older I got the more I drank. The more I drank the worse my hangovers became.

Age increased my tolerance levels so that I needed ever increasing amounts to obtain and maintain the "high."

At 20 I could drink all night and be up at 5am to catch the bus to work.

"Hangovers" were nothing more than feeling a little tired the next day which was nothing a strong cup of coffee couldn't fix.

At 26 the hangovers were so bad I could not even tie my shoelaces in the morning........the usual coffee "picker-upper" was useless without a splash of rum in it.

By the time I was 34 the "high" which I craved had become elusive.I spent countless nights "chasing the high" but all I got was numb and more numb.

In effect I was drinking more to experience a shorter "high" and suffering debilitating hangovers. My morning "coffee" had become more rum than coffee and I had stopped wearing shoes with laces.

By the time I found AA at 35 I was a full blown alcoholic.

The days when I could party all night and be up at the crack of dawn without suffering the effects were gone forever.I had literally devoted the better part of my last 20 years in worship of king alcohol and had nothing but pain to show for it.

I still suffer the effects of those wasted years even to this day and age of 43

Although I have few regrets nowadays I sometimes wish I had paid more close attention to the warning signs before I was rocketed into that third dimension of alcoholism, where my life became unmanagable.

I wish you luck on your quest for knowledge and understanding.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome To SR!

As we age, things dont work like they used to, especially when we have abused them. The liver cant filter through the alcohol and rid your body of the toxins like it did when you were younger, this makes for a quicker/worse drunk and worse hangover. Thats what my doc. told me in a nutshell anyway.
Liss
Old 07-27-2006, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have good news and bad news for you.

The bad news is, after drinking from 18 to 58, I can asure you that you're worse stupidity, hangovers and physical
problems are ahead of you.

The good news is, you need not find this out through personal experence.

I hope you decide at 23 that you've had enough, you're already ahead of me even admitting a problem at 23. I saw all the sign post you're seeing yet continued to drive by them. put your brakes on and read them.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Does it matter why youre hangovers are getting worse? The point is you drink too much and you have hangovers. Alcohol effects every cell in your body, essentially burning them like alcohol would do to rubber or something. It is a mild poison, you will experience a hangover everytime you drink too much, how bad the hangover is will vary depending on many things, but you will ALWAYS be hungover when you drink. So the only way to cure a hangover 100% is NOT to drink. Hope this helped.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

It doesn't get better! Bodies, minds and hearts just find a way to cope until they break.

But when I stopped drinking I did start to get better and that is when I started to grow again. Maturing, developing, experiencing life, all these wonderful things can happen ....

Drinking stops the experiences happening, it dulled and ******** me. I never found the enjoyment from drinking lasted or gave me anything real at the end of the day. It just got worse for me, it just took me over and I lost myself.

love and peace,
Brigid
Old 10-10-2009, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Abstinence Apprentice

Oh no! Not again!

My drinking career has developed to the point where I dread getting money in my pocket, because I know that when the cash is gone I'm spending a couple of days feeling like I'm on the heels of death. Controlling it doesn't work. I'm a Classic example of over 30 years of more than moderate consumption. All of the people posting and reading on this site are at least at a good place and have taken some interest in addressing their situation. Amen to that!
Ciao...
Old 10-10-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Heathen

Wow this is an old post! Welcome to SR Steadwell.. Ya know, you don't HAVE to keep drinking.. but it sounds like that is your choice for now. Take care!
Old 10-10-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Steadwell.. ....
Welcome back. I hope you will stick around this time
We have a lot of information and peer support to share

Yes! many of us are winning over alcohol
and that can be true for you too...
Old 10-10-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Believe me... it does get worse with age.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penny74 View Post
Believe me... it does get worse with age.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Well put!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think we all know how you feel. It only gets worse like one guy shared with me today in a group meeting. I hadn't been to AA in several years, but today I went check one out. I have been attending Celebrate recovery 12 step meeting lately but was still going back to the alcohol. I know God wants us to be free from this and so do most caring people. Just keep going to the meetings, I remind myself now that faith without works is dead. I want to work my faith to stay sober instead of just going to a meeting occasionally like I was doing so passively. After 10+ years of alcohol abuse, I can tell you it only got worse.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

jjcase33.....Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum....

I hope this will be your time for lasting sobriety..