Notices

Comparing yourself to other alcoholics

Old 08-05-2006, 12:37 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

i compare myself all the time. not as better or worse or against. but i can look at you all and say "i was there once". all the different phases of my addiction.
it is a progressive disease.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:50 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I compared for years! I was always looking at the differences and completely skipped over the similarities. One of the issues I had was that I am a high bottom drunk ... I had a lot of YETS to accomplish; therefore, in my mind, I did not qualify as an alcoholic. What I conveniently skipped over is that when I started drinking, I had absolutely NO control over how much I drank; I conveniently ignored the blackouts, the daily drinking, the hangovers, etc. etc. What I know today is that it wasn't how far I had gone, but where I was headed. And to recognize what alcohol would continue to do to me if I continued walking the path I was on.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:42 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

i am always happy to know a person was saved from becoming a lo bottom drunk. so few of them survive. it's a different game when the disease progresses to that stage. i think that is one of the reasons young people and high bottom drunks have so much trouble relating to the stories in the big book. until you have actually been there it's hard to comprehend. that's why recovering drunks and junkys make such good CD counselors, they've been there. that stuff doesn't come from a book.
it is SO important to understand the phrase, " there but for the grace of god go i"
not meaning you have to go to church, but that those poor souls sitting in the parlk and eating from dumpsters could very well be you. pride will say " i would never do that", but you will, believe me, you will. the similarities, thats the key. an honest self examination is of the ultimate importance. like it says, "many can not or will not" .....
Old 08-05-2006, 04:53 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Reason to believe

I know as a sufferer of anxiety disorders that comparing yourself with others is actually detrimental to your progress/recovery. The experience of others however, is invaluable.