Notices

Living in the world, but not of the world

Old 07-19-2006, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Let Go & Let God

Living in the world, but not of the world

How do we do it? I try not to watch to much TV (sensationalism) and I don't keep too current on the news. I don't want to launch a political discussion, but I wonder how others on the sobriety journey deal with Newt Gingrich coming out saying it's the beginning of World War III, for example?? How do I resist falling into the trap of panic that "they" want us in?

Small steps, yes. I was in the DMV yesterday and was able to keep my serenity while others were yelling, insulting people and ripping out feet and feet of the "take a numbers" you get and then storming out. I was so grateful for God's grace in keeping me calm in the midst of turmoil that was so clearly outside of me.

But on a larger scale, I am struggling. At least I caught myself in the beginnings of panic while watching the news this morning. I didn't let it escalate, but obviously, it is still on my mind.

How do I remain in the world, but not of it? Any advice?

Thanks!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

i find what is happening in the world very interesting--it does not scare me--i think possibly because i dont cling to this world too much--i dont know--im always wathcing the news--i do understand it is scary for others--im not sure if i can help, but i hope the best for you
Laura
Old 07-19-2006, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I use the Serenity Prayer for balance.

I also know God is large and in charge...
keeps me at peace.

Blessings..
Old 07-19-2006, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I tend to agree with Sazzer.

The day of Armageddon may be nigh but I wont be sitting on the edge of my seat wringing my hands.I will find out soon enough when the day arrives.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sazzer
How do I remain in the world, but not of it? Any advice?Thanks!!!
The Serenity Prayer helps me. I look at what I can do something about, and what I can't do anything about.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Sazzer
I was so grateful for God's grace in keeping me calm in the midst of turmoil that was so clearly outside of me.

... At least I caught myself in the beginnings of panic while watching the news this morning. I didn't let it escalate, but obviously, it is still on my mind.

How do I remain in the world, but not of it? Any advice?

Thanks!!!
Seems you answered your own question.
In the world...because we live here...of the world...we shouldn't set out desires on the things that the world seeks. My treasures await me when I leave this world.
Awareness of what is going on in the world is not making ourself a part of the world. Knowing what is going on helps me make good choices when I vote, shop, converse with others.
I don't seek after things (greed) and i try not to seek after lifting myself with prideful endevours. Greed and pride are the two main driving forces of those who seek of the world.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a wee bit cautious about responding here because it seems that the phrase "being in the world but not of it" means something specific that I'm not familiar with. Could someone explain?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Let Go & Let God

“Being in the world, but not of the world” to me means a non-attachment and non-conformity to the world, which I find difficult. One of the "personality traits" of an alcoholic as I understand it is having unhealthy attachments to people, things and events -- something I struggle with constantly. Not letting another's mood affect my own serenity and well-being, not letting a situation I don't have control over affect my serenity and well-being, etc. I find it really difficult. So when I watch the news and they are "talking scary", I have a hard time detaching from that -- I tend to let it make me panicky.

Serenity prayer, yes.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you try and let nothing 'effects your well being or serenity' - then surely life becomes a bit dull. You have a right to be sick, appalled, amused, fascinated by as much of the world as you like.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Let Go & Let God

Yes, I agree Five, but I think there is a fine line with me about when feeling sick, appalled, amused, etc. comes from inside me and when I just let something else invade. So, I'm not saying I shouldn't ever feel anything but serene -- that would be boring, indeed, not to mention un-human. For my own sanity and recovery, I cannot let myself get carried away emotionally with something that really doesn't strike my core being.

Does that make sense? It's hard for me to put into words.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes Sazzer, I understand you.

I guess just have faith in yourself that you can manage 'severe' emotions if and when they arise. Living in fear of them is inhumane IMO.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by paulmh
I'm a wee bit cautious about responding here because it seems that the phrase "being in the world but not of it" means something specific that I'm not familiar with. Could someone explain?
It is words of wisdom that are taken from the bible.

Peace., love, and joy are the treasures that I seek and being a Christian, they are promises of heaven.
In my daily struggles, they are my hope. I will have them one day even if I don't see them while on earth. There could be days or weeks that seem like there is no peace, love, and hope starts to seem small in my life. I know that when such times were to come that peace, love, and hope are always within reach and that fills me with joy. Greed and pride will just bring me problems in life. A bank account could fill up but I have found that money never brought me a lasting peace, can't buy love, and leaves me with no joy at days end.
The serenity prayer will always lead me to the right path of finding the treasures that I seek.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
new life

I was so grateful for God's grace in keeping me calm in the midst of turmoil that was so clearly outside of me.

Amen.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think we're living in the end times of the world but that's fine, it's kinda comforting knowing this pain won't be forever.

Marte
Old 07-21-2006, 02:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am with you there BSP.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am careful about what I listen to in terms of news. There are lots of informative radio talk shows and less serious newspapers that give a balanced reporting, rather than the sensationalism and scare tactics of some. I stick to those.

I try to live a balanced life. I don't watch the news everyday. To me it is often too depressing. I pick up snipets by going to newspaper websites and reading the headlines only, without going through the often morbid details of the stories. That way I know what is going on without becoming too "immersed" into it and getting bumbed out.

I also remember, I can only change my world, I can contribute to the change of the "world" in a larger sense by participating in volunteer activities or political processes/parties, but I choose how much I become involved.

Peace, Levi
Old 07-22-2006, 05:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

I see the enthusiasm of youth, the beauty of nature, the intelligence of many people and still feel quite safe about our future on this planet. I remember that there are always sensationalist views and that emotion is needed to inspire people to great deeds. We can't predict the future, but we can have some faith in human nature after all, I do think we learn. We definitely have a strong survival instinct.

If something bothers me enough I try to do something constructive, I have written a few "letters to the editor", have given to charities that I think deserve support, buy foods that are grown organically because I believe in looking after the earth. I just try to do what I can in my own way and trust others will do the same. I can only look after my little corner of the world and make a difference there. There is that butterfly effect, I hope it works!

love Brigid
Old 07-22-2006, 09:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Let Go & Let God

Thanks, Brigid. That is what I needed to hear right this moment!

Peace to you,
Saz