Notices

alcoholism and mental health

Old 02-23-2003, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

alcoholism and mental health

Can people please share the devastating affect alcohol has had on their mental health? My own memory has improved with sobriety I want to remember how bad I was
Old 02-24-2003, 12:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Davis,

I think that this is dependant on individual circumstances but my mental health was definitely awful in regard to my thinking. I can't say what organic damage has been done, although I did try to find out by reading everything I could get my hands on in my first month of sobriety. Drove me nuts, the only thing affecting my mental health was me.

When hungover I was totally paranoid and irrational, filled with anxiety, shame, guilt, remorse, despair and wondering what happened the night before. I quickly medicated with alcohol thinking it would go away. It did, but it was all replaced with denial, false pride, egotism and escapism into fantasy land before moving onto anger, hatred, depression and/or blackout. Then the next day the shame, fear, guilt etc etc

Geez, thanks for reminding me. I'm even more glad I'm sober now.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Davis20022002

Hi
I had mental health problems before I ever drank, anxiety and panic attacks,

drinking seemed to help fpr a while, but in the long run just made things worse, when we drink we do kill brain cells.

when I quit I was in a fog for a while, but it did pass, when I had about 30 days I went for a full check up, at the suggestion of my sponsor,

since I quit I have had some bouts with anxiety, and depresion, but they are brief and controlable. not like the bottomless pit I would get in when I was drinking.

just because were alcoholics doesn't mean were imune to other problems, many of us need to go outside of A.A. for some of our help.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Starting over

They do not mix together. My attitude was awful when heavily intoxicated.

I would rather deal with what is going on being sober than to regret what I did do when being drunk. In the past I had drinken beer, whisky, you name it while taking heavy-hitting medications. I am very lucky to be alive.

This coming mid march will be my third month being sober. My medicine has taken about 8 to 12 weeks to kick back in after that time I fell off the wagon. back in mid december. You can be on medicine while being sober for a fairly long time but once you go on a drunk for only one night medicine can terminate working for many people and the wait for them to work again can be very stressful, I'm one of those people who had to wait for the medicine to work again, all it takes is that ONE TIME to throw everything off.

I live with depression, bi-polar disorder and obsessive compulsive thoughts. Started when I was 16, though I believe I had these problems right after I was born so I strongly believe it can be hereditary, mental illness and alcohol. My Mom has depression and anxiety disorder and my father was the alcoholic, I ended up being both of them in many ways than one.

I have to live with things i had done, sometimes these past memories hurt me. It will come back to haunt me someday and it will not be a pretty site, just the thought of it scares me.