Notices

cravings

Old 02-21-2003, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

cravings

well I had my 2nd meeting to today. AA meetings are really good for me. I son't know how to go about getting a sponcer. I don't know anyone very good in the group.

When will the cravings stop!!!!!!!

Jeff
Old 02-21-2003, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jeff

I can share with you how I picked my sponcer,
I was going to meetings daily for about a week, watching the oldtimers and trying to decide who to pick,
then at one meeting a guy got up and shared, he was 18 yrs sober, he seemed so happy and knowledgable about A.A. , there was something about him that I felt a strong connection, after the meeting I asked hime to sponcer me, he agreed and truely gave me the best of A.A.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello again Jeff,good for you that you are finding meetings beneficial but finding a sponsor is something that must be done with care and may take a little time.

When choosing a sponsor look for someone with qualities you can admire.Listen to the persons sharing and observe their behavior after the meeting.

Choose someone who is themself working the twelve steps of the programme and seems to be enjoying their recovery.

Choose someone who is he same gender as you.

Just keep going to as many meetings as you can and I am sure the Higher Power will put someone in your life.

There should also be a pamphlet available at your meeting on the subject of sponsorship it has some useful information for people with questions about sponsorship.

The CRAVINGS will pass too Jeff,I cant say when but in time they eventually go away.

Mine, thankfully did not last more than a few days.

I drank a lot of water to help me get through them.

I also did other things like getting phone numbers of people in AA and calling them whenever I felt low or felt a craving coming on.

Reading AA literature is also good.

Keep some hard candy in your pocket and when you feel the urge to drink pop one in your mouth.

Most importantly always remember that even the most powerful urge to drink will pass.

JUST DONT DRINK NO MATTER WHAT.

So far you are doing great.The more meetings you go to the more information you will pick up on how to avoid that first drink.

Please stay in touch.

Peter.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jeff,I just remembered that it may also be a good idea for you to go and visit your doctor,that is if you have not already done so.

Alcohol takes a heavy toll on our bodies and a good check up along with a long honest talk with our doctor is always a good idea.

Peter.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff,

there are some great suggestions for cravings here...as for a sponsor, I personally wouldn't have found her if I didn't take the advice of the older members at first - to go to as many different meetings as I could at the start.

Just a thought, I'm not sure if you're able to or not.

Anyway, hang in there and know that the cravings will pass.