Notices

Bad News Today

Old 07-03-2006, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad News Today

I went to my outpatient treatment tonight and was told that one of the women who had graduated a few weeks ago (and has been attending aftercare) committed suicide this last Tuesday. She was so sweet and kind. She had several years of sobriety and then relapsed. i thought the she was one of the ones that would make it. She was so kind and gentle. She lived near me and on her "Graduation" night I gave her my number and told her I would like to stay in touch. I am so sad. She was married and had two boys.

I hope everyone realizes what a cruel and very serious disease this is. I just feel stunned.

Kathy
Old 07-03-2006, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers going out for comfort
to all who loved her.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

for you and for your friend's children
Old 07-03-2006, 09:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My heart goes out to you, and your friends family.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Working Towards it...

I'm so sorry to hear that. I lost my brother the same way. My thoughts are with you.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Im sorry to hear of your sad news, Thinking of you n your friends family at this time.
Thank you for sharing some of that pain.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Kathy)))

Sending hugs and prayers...
Old 07-04-2006, 03:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

((Kathy))

It is straight forward scary how serious this disease is.

One Love, One Heart,
Tony
Old 07-04-2006, 03:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
alconaut

((((hugs))))
Old 07-04-2006, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry... I know exactly what that feels like. This disease wants us to die, and in her case, it won. I went to outpatient treatment my first year, and became very fond of my counselor named Wally. He had 13 years sobriety. One time, during an especially confrontive session, he looked at me and said, "You are just like me - don't think you are any different. We are both a couple of drunks." A couple of years later, Wally picked up a drink. He spent all his time working with others yet he didn't put his sobriety FIRST. In 6 months, he committed suicide. When I went to his funeral, I kept hearing his voice saying, "You are just like me." I was angry for a long time and wondered, what was the point? But through the Grace of God, my sponsor put me back on track. She said I could use his death and the events leading up to it as a "good bad example". She told me that his lesson was important and that some people had to die for us to really see what this disease does. I think of Wally often today, and I am grateful he was put in my life at a time when I really needed him. But I remember that in order for me to stay sober, I have to take care of myself -first.
Oh, I do know how you feel and I want you to know that it is important to talk about this, pray about it, and feel whatever you are feeling. You can take this and make it your "good bad example" so that her death will not be in vain.
God bless,
Leslie
Old 07-04-2006, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bad News

Kathy,

It's hard to be sober and start back drinking. Everyone praises you for sobriety and when you relapse, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go. People think you are a failure. And those who are sober around you don't seem to be available for that.

My heart goes out to the survivors, but the person who commits suicide feels pain that no one outside of their body can feel. They are called week and selfish. But the truth is that there is who was strong and unselfish enough for them to reach out to.

The suicidal feel cold and alone and have no where to go that doesn't have bars.

So, don't blame your friend because there are many who can't make it. And it hurts.

No one knows this feeling any better than I do.

Carol
Old 07-04-2006, 08:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Heartfelt prayers ... that is just awful ... this disease is just awful....

I am so very sorry.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

The primary purpose of this disease is to kill us. And it's patient.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Prayers being sent.

Cathy31
x
Old 07-04-2006, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have lost many friends to alcoholism. I have lost some friends who have died sober of natural causes I guess it was just their time to go. It is very hard to loose people we care about. It seems so much worse when we loose people to the monster alcoholism, when we know it didn't have to be that way. You friend was right, use this as an example, don't forget what happened, pray for her family, allow your Higher Power to heal your pain. I hate to tell you this but if you stay in recovery this will not be the last friend you will loose to this monster alcoholism. It is sad to say but this is a common story, there are different variations but the end results are the same. Im not trying to make you sad, just preparing you for the future. If you stay sober and remain in recovery, this will happen again. Thats why you friend told you to remember this, b/c a lot of people don't. They froget what it does to the ones who are left behind. They forget the pain they cause when they choose to do such a thing to themselves and leave children to remember what their mom did. Remember and don't forget and if you ever get the thought think of those boys and call your sponsor instead...... Love to all Debs
Old 07-04-2006, 05:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by debsjsu
I hate to tell you this but if you stay in recovery this will not be the last friend you will loose to this monster alcoholism. It is sad to say but this is a common story, there are different variations but the end results are the same. Im not trying to make you sad, just preparing you for the future. If you stay sober and remain in recovery, this will happen again.....
Thanks Debs, I have heard that talked about in these very walls (SR). But it is so hard to see someone who you thought had it all together, do something like this. I would have put money on her as one of the people who was going to make it. It's so amazing what a mind&$# alcohol can do to a person. It is such a reminder that alcoholism is chronic. It is a slow -- or sometimes fast --- suicide.

What a waste of a very beautiful person.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to read this NYCGirl, I can only add that now she walks with God, pain free and happy. Sounds like she has left us all a message also.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Don -- but note that I'm not NYCGirl!!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Choose life.

(I had to doublecheck after Don's post, lkng for NYCGirl, haha)
Old 07-05-2006, 04:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So sorry!
JMHS
Old 07-05-2006, 04:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sorry, Next time I'll put my glasses on.