Notices

The right decision

Old 07-02-2006, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The right decision

When I was here last year I went a few weeks sober, but my mind was not in the right place. I felt a whole bunch of energy, but I was trying to dodge life. I am learning, finally. Today I've decided to stop tearing myself apart.
Thank you all for being here, those of you who are restarting life like me, and the wonderful people who have been sober a long time and offer your strength and guidance.
It will be a pleasure to live in the real world with you.
W
Old 07-02-2006, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back W, I just returned 2 months ago. I had gone back out. Anyway, we are both back. We still learn, even from mistakes. Welcome to the real world.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don, I am so glad you are here. I remember your posts from before.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My life is so much more peaceful with sobriety.
What action are you planning to do to find your recovery?

Glad to see you are here again!
Old 07-02-2006, 07:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Welcome back.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

[quote=CarolD]
What action are you planning to do to find your recovery?

quote]
I'm running with my wife in the morning, then I'll take in some good reading and meditation. I started the latter a couple of months ago. Friday through Sunday will be my AA meeting nights when I am in town. Since I am usually working out of town, I will be attending all the meetings I can as a visitor. My next assignment is in Virginia, where I have an old friend who is in AA. I will be there for several weeks and look forward to meeting the group and catching up on old times without alcohol.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sounds great W!
Old 07-02-2006, 09:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck...
Old 07-03-2006, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like an awesome plan.... Glad you are here... Love to ya Debs
Old 07-04-2006, 08:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, all. Let's see. One more hour and it will be three days. Things are going well so far. I went for my first jog in months this morning. Yesterday I decided to hit the weights instead because it seemed too dang hot for cardio. The wife is already welcoming the old me back. I had not noticed that my self-indulgent funk was bringing her down. Thank God for getting me started back on the right path in time to avoid bigger problems.
I am committed to my gameplan. Meditation is becoming more soothing all the time. I read many of the posts on this board to make sure that I am focused on the infinite angles of attack that alcoholism uses against us. I feel good, but not complacent.
I found out today that I will have to make another trip to Jamaica for work. My substance abuse history is not limited to alcohol. In the old days, I would have quit my job to "keep it from jeopardizing my sobriety". This time I know that running away from my problems was just more fuel for the fire and a horrible way to treat friends and coworkers.
I've worked things out with my boss to stay in a different hotel, one with a fitness center and a healthier atmosphere in general than where I stayed before. After this post I am going to find an AA meeting schedule for the Kingston area. I will attend this Friday's face-to-face AA meeting up the street from my house to get a sponsor (or at least a temporary one) to make sure I have someone in the program I can call if I am unable to attend meetings on the island. I am going to succeed.
I have to be constantly mindful for the rest of my life. This assignment comes at a bad time, but I am going to anticipate and prevent false excuses.
I appreciate any tips to further strengthen my plan, and I look forward to reporting that I've returned home without a fall.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back and it sounds like you are being very realistic and that you have a really good plan.

I think that accepting that it takes daily work to maintain sobriety, is a big step and a blessing.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, 51anna. Things change quickly. I got word this morning that the Jamaica job has been cancelled. It's beautifully ironic that I've gotten a break on the very occasion that I finally prepared myself for right action. But heck. I'll take it. My smile today is real.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The fun never ends. Now the Jamaica job is on again. I am supposed to leave Monday. At least I have a plan.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Back!!

You are doing great!!!! Stay Strong, and let us know how things go!!!!
Liss
Old 07-08-2006, 08:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Update. I had no luck finding meetings in jamaica on the AA site, but a member of this board informs me that there are a couple in Kingston. Details on time and place are forthcoming. Thank you, SR.
Oh, yeah. I missed my Friday and Saturday night meetings here at home, but I WILL make the 10:00 AM meeting tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Paused

Best of luck to you...
Old 07-09-2006, 08:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks again, 2dayzmuse. I made it to the meeting this morning. Your signature, gratitude, was the topic. It was a record turnout, and I was grateful for more opportunities to listen.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Paused

Ahhh...listening. I learn so much by listening and connecting with those with similar feelings and experiences.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Jamaica: Off again. Oh, never mind. Maryland or bust.
I made the online meeting tonight and enjoyed it. I think it will be a tremendous help in the future.
Sorry for the off-topic portions of my posts on this thread. I'll let it fade now and maybe pick up in cafe central. Thanks to everyone for all the support so far.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

((((UnD)))) It was so good to have you at the SR online meeting tonight. SR is a GREAT way to stay connected to recovery. It's not a replacement to f2f meetings, but the experience, strength, hope and support on this board is truly awesome. It's all about the love of one alcoholic for another, IMO.

Hold true to your conviction for a better life. You can and ARE doing it!