Notices

Two weeks and feeling good

Old 06-28-2006, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
doing nothing

Two weeks and feeling good

It's been a little over two weeks, and I must admit I'm feeling much better than I remember feeling while I was drinking daily.

I guess letting my body be normal instead of constantly being mildly poisoned, recovering from the previous night, and being generally out-of-whack from the chemical rollercoater; must be the reason.

I am not consciously tempted, but subconsciously I know it's there. I certainly have not been trying to rationalize "just one drink" as I know where that road goes.

It's been long enough now that my daily routine has adjusted and I don't sit around bored wondering what I'll do tonight if I don't get drunk. Sleeping has improved to better-than-before quality. Most importantly I just feel happier most of the time.

Those of you that are struggling in the first few days or week, hang on, it gets much better.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

That is wonderful to hear!! Keep up the good work.

I know about that "just one" thing!! What a joke, when did we EVER just have one!!
Old 06-29-2006, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slacker
It's been a little over two weeks, and I must admit I'm feeling much better than I remember feeling while I was drinking daily.

It's been long enough now that my daily routine has adjusted and I don't sit around bored wondering what I'll do tonight if I don't get drunk. Sleeping has improved to better-than-before quality. Most importantly I just feel happier most of the time.
Congrats on your two weeks, that's a great feeling and glad you shared it.

I know for me the key is boredom for a lot of it. At present I am very occupied. I no longer have cable / satellite and I play baseball, golf, weight lift, walk, etc. All things that get me out of the house and out of myself ... I know when I started drinking it was b/c I was bored and lonely. Later drinking was used to combat stress, etc., as well.

I do know one thing for certain, by keeping busy and happy, I am not tempted, I am not dwelling on it, and it really doesn't appear to be a "big problem". I simply accept I do not drink and that I cannot drink and I leave it at that.

Again, my congrats on your time!

Cheers, Levi
Old 06-29-2006, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wonderful!!! Glad to see you are doing so well!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WOW WHAT AN AWESOME ACCOMPLISHMENT ....... I am sooo very grateful for you.... And so very happy you are feeling better..... Just keep doing whatever you need to do to take care of your sobriety and I will keep praying for you..... Don't forget like Levi said keeping busy really does help a lot. Keeps our mind busy and we don't think about the drink. Love to ya Debs
Old 06-29-2006, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
doing nothing

Keeping busy is great.

I used to sit around alone, bored, and just drink to have some thing to do.
Then my reasons for drinking changed but there was always the boredom. Just sitting around watching bad TV and thinking I would be more amused if I was drinking.

The thing is, there was always things I wanted to do, but I'd decide I should wait and do them later because I had allready been drinking.
"I should fix that leaky faucet that's driving me crazy. Wait, I have been drinking, better wait until tomorrow so I don't screw it up."
Now I can just do it, whatever it is. Drive to the video store, small tasks around the house, cook something good to eat*, whatever.

Being sober I can do whatever I want, whenever I want without having to schedule it aroundmy drunkeness.

* I never liked to cook while drinking, my (step)grandmother accidently caught her blouse on fire cooking while drunk and died weeks later from the burns.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Congrats slacker!!!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you - about two weeks sober. What's great is that I don't wake up and feel guilty in the mornings. Strangely though, I think that I'm *so* used to feeling guilty about drinking, that I find myself feeling guilty over stupid things, like eating that pizza last night, or drinking that Coca-Cola. Then I have to slap myself and tell myself that I'm doing well, better than ever, actually.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

CONGRATUL:ATIONS!!!! Isnt it a wonderful feeling to be sober?!? I am behind you 4 days, I am at 10 days. I am proud of all of us for this accomplisment, but I will not forget who has given me this. If we forget, we will fail.
More GLORIOUS DAYS & NIGHTS to come!!!! Bring them on!!
Star
Old 06-29-2006, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Smiling In Earnest

Originally Posted by midgetcop
Congrats slacker!!!
i'll take 'what my coworker said to me when i got an 8% raise last month' for $500, alex

congrats on your 2 weeks sober, slackster. good stuff.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Congrats slacker, Congrats!
Old 06-29-2006, 04:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That is great slacker. We don't always see or feel the difference. We speak of this at the V A Hospital at aftercare. We can look at the people going through the program and easily pick out the 1 weekers, 2 weekers etc. Even ourselves, when I first showed up at the V A Hospital almost 2 months ago, people I later became friends with were convinced I wasn't coming back from La La Land. The top floor we call the Flight Deck. Many of us start there, some sadly don't come out of there. I was telling one friend of mine last week.
When he first came in he was scary. i decided right off that he was one person I was going to stay clear of. I am always amazed at the nice people being hidden by alcohol. Anyway, that is great. Just think, it will get better if we don't drink. I used to wonder how people knew I was new when first coming around to meetings. Not anymore.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats To All Of You !!!!!!! Love To You All Debs
Old 06-30-2006, 05:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Congrats Slacker, midgetcop and mygirls_mylife!!!! AND all of us here on SR. Really positive posts and nice to hear and be reminded of the happiness that is felt by just staying sober and doing it.

lots of love,
Brigid
Old 06-30-2006, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So How Is Everybody Today??????
Old 07-01-2006, 10:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
doing nothing

sober and feeling good.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Working Towards it...

Congrats, great to hear! I hope to join you soon.