Notices

DUI mess

Old 06-26-2006, 05:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by sallyrider
This is really not an excuse...but I have to say I didn't THINK about getting behind the wheel. I was in a blackout. I was on automatic. That is what is so bad about alcoholism.
For sure, alcoholism is not an excuse for anything. It is, I think, an explanation. So, now that you have the explanation, you are responsible both for what you did and for making sure you don't do it again. I cringe when I think about the number of times I got behind the wheel of a car while drunk. Of course at the time, I thought nothing would happen to me because... (you guessed it) I'm different. I'm the one human being on the planet whose motor skills are not affected by alcohol.

For me, the only way I can guarantee that it won't ever happen again is to not drink, cause I know if I start drinking, I will end up behind the wheel of car despite my declared best intentions.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi sallyrider ...

I suggest you get to an AA meeting and share there.
Others in the room will know what is the norm in
Charleston.

I also suggest you need facts on alcoholism.
Blackouts are a sign of middle stage alcoholism
according to many experts.

For understanding alcoholism...I recommend...

"Under The influence"
and it's sequel
"Beyond The Influence"

they are carried by Amazon
Old 06-26-2006, 05:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you...I will be attending an AA meeting today. And, again, I was not trying to make an excuse. I absolutely HATE the fact that I did this, twice. I can only say that I was very lucky I didn't hurt anyone. An angel was watching over me. I do not want this to ever happen again.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've never driven drunk, or even considered it. I got used to taking cabs everywhere, or just not going anywhere at all. After all, I drank at home. While alcoholics do comprise a good portion of DUI arrests, many people are just regular, everyday folks who had 3 beers at a party, got pulled over for a broken tail light or something, and blew .08. It's unfortunate, because the science doesn't support .08 as "intoxicated". The law used to be .15 was legally drunk, then it was .10, and now it's .08. The only thing that changed was the law, people didn't suddenly become drunk at .08 where they didn't previously. It's a revenue thing, and part of the "get tough on crime" crapola politicians love to sell to the public. If they make it any lower, they may as well close down all the bars and ban the sale of alochol in restaurants, because it will be impossible to drive even after 1 drink.

I sure wish they had ordered a breathalyzer for my car.
It might be a good idea for everyone to buy one of these for their cars, even people who don't abuse alcohol. This would help to ensure that even soccer moms who go to a BBQ and have a beer are safe to drive, at least in theory.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob
Yeah, there is no excuse. Sorry for your loss, it must be tough. Hey, I like your signature quote:

"I had a barbeque stain on my white t-shirt
She was killin' me in that mini skirt
Skippin' rocks on the river by the railroad tracks
She had a sun-tan line and red lipstick"

"I worked so hard for that first kiss
A heart don't forget something like that."

Yup Thats it. I love that song. (((Sally))) I hope you have a good meeting. Let us know how it goes. And also, try different meetings. Each meeting is a little different. There are some I love, and some I dont care for. Find the best meeting for you, make it your home group and find a sponsor.