Notices

AA the reason many people don't get help

Old 06-19-2006, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think that sums it up for many people. I don't want anything to do with that crap, but I want help. Please don't chastise me but I don't agree with any of their beliefs.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WidespreadPanic
I think that sums it up for many people. I don't want anything to do with that crap, but I want help. Please don't chastise me but I don't agree with any of their beliefs.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rit-unity.html
Old 06-20-2006, 12:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you checked out the sticky listing all the alternatives? There are several and many of the members here have used them so they can give you first hand account of how they work.

I'm glad to see that you posted here. That's a good first step to getting the help you say that you want. Now, keep looking around this site and you will find some of the answers to some of your questions. Please keep posting and you won't get chastised!

I can't remember all of the alternatives and you'll have to look at the sticky to get the websites but some are:

LifeRing
Women for Sobriety
SMART Recovery
Rational Recovery
Moderation Management (yes they also suggest abstainance)
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Old 06-20-2006, 12:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

....Never mind... I will save that thought.

You will either accept what is offered or find your own source....or continue and ....what ever is to be will be. I hope you find something for your own sake.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by best
....Never mind... I will save that thought.

You will either accept what is offered or find your own source....or continue and ....what ever is to be will be. I hope you find something for your own sake.
thank you for all the alternatives and I suppose you don't like the alternatives and that thought process is why many of us don't get help. Best sorry I don't believe in Jesus so I think I can still get some help.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand that not all people will accept what I know that works 100% if worked 100%. I feel that AA is a good #2 way and then there are many other programs as well beyond AA.
It isn't a matter of picking this one or that one...because I don't like this other one. What it comes down to...finding what works for you and if it happens to be AA...accepting what has worked for others or do as you please.

Who knows..SMART may be the program for you?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you don't want AA centre stage - don't place it there, perhaps instead place what you would like to see in terms of help and there'll be plenty here that will try honestly to point you in that direction.

In a sense it becomes like a self fulfilling prophecy by arguing against AA - of course you get comments back, of course they are pro AA, and of course they can fuel your dislike. There are alternatives and some very deserving of the centre stage for a while....
Old 06-20-2006, 12:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand that not all people will accept what I know that works 100% if worked 100%. I feel that AA is a good #2 way and then there are many other programs as well beyond AA.
It isn't a matter of picking this one or that one...because I don't like this other one. What it comes down to...finding what works for you and if it happens to be AA...accepting what has worked for others or do as you please.

point made you nor your religion knows it all. I'm a Muslim and I want to quit drinking. So now I need to change religions and quit drinking
Old 06-20-2006, 12:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Do you have any data to support this statement? If so I will do anything that has a 100 percent success ratio.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Some people don't get help because they don't recognize they need help. Some people don't get help because they don't know where to even begin once they do recognize their problem.

You have not only recognized your need for help, you have begun looking on a sobriety forum for answers. YOU HAVE TAKEN THE FIRST STEP. Now take the next step which is to find the program the fits your style - doctor, therpist, f2f group, online forum etc.

Don't waste your energy worrying about what you think WON'T work for you. Use it constructivey searching for what WILL.

Glad to have you here looking for answers!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What religion you follow should not prevent you from finding support and info through AA or any other program. Many programs are set up to hold no religious affiliation at all.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WidespreadPanic
Do you have any data to support this statement? If so I will do anything that has a 100 percent success ratio.
Yes.... Me.
I have been helped 100% by following as best I can 100%.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How about giving what you know a try?

What does the Quran say about seeking help from Allah?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How about giving what you know a try?

What does the Quran say about seeking help from Allah?
Very good question.

WSP, I truly hope you are able to put down your defenses and find help in any place you can very soon. I can feel your pain.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by c'est la vie
Very good question.

WSP, I truly hope you are able to put down your defenses and find help in any place you can very soon. I can feel your pain.
well I would but most aaers have made me put up my defenses. I don't want to have a problem but I don't want to be told I have no power against this problem.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am going to an AA meeting today because I just can't take the pain in my head any longer. I don't believe that I am powerless at all. I believe I have all the power within me, but I just can't find it. I'm going to AA to try to find that internal strength to save my own life.

I know I'll hear things that annoy me (as I already have) but I'm hoping to also hear some things I know I need to hear. In the mean time I'm looking for a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist who can help me learn to change my "self talk" and change the way I react to outside forces (such as my kids screaming or feeling lonely in a crowd of people).

If you pray, I suggest that you add a prayer for willingness and openmindedness. Yesterday I prayed to remove my stubborness!! And today I'm going to a meeting.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh, and I would also add a prayer for honesty. I've been lacking that severely and yesterday the honesty just came flowing. It was great (scary too, but what a relief).
Old 06-20-2006, 02:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Morning Widespread,
Jesus......never seen him in the book. Must be a newcomer!! Now God, I've seen in the book but I've also read somewhere, where it says that I can call my Higher Power Allah if I choose to do that.

I understand you don't want to be powerless. Neither did I but if I'm not powerless, how is it that (1)every time I drank, I got drunk and (2)I couldn't figure out a way to get sober without asking, "how the hell do I get sober?" If you're not powerless, what the hell are you doing here telling us about how powerless you are?

AAers "make" you put up your defenses??? Those are your defenses!! You can do with them what you want. Don't blame AAers. There you are being powerless again. Can't you control your own defenses??

The nice thing about AA is that you don't have to change religions in order to belong. A person just has to get rid of that closed minded idea that my religion is right and everyone else's is wrong attitude. Just because you're Muslim doesn't make you special. I came in here close to Atheist. I just didn't have the nerve to admit it....so what?? I now have my own Higher Power who most the time I call God. Sometimes I just say "hey you" to get His attention. Point is, He works for me. Best's point about working something 100% is right on. I don't care which program you choose, if you go into with the mindset that you're special and things should change because you don't particularly agree with something, you've still got more drinking to do. I hear that old Kentucky "sippin" whiskey is pretty good.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back..

Here you are..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ives-info.html
Old 06-20-2006, 02:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music
Morning Widespread,
Jesus......never seen him in the book. Must be a newcomer!! Now God, I've seen in the book but I've also read somewhere, where it says that I can call my Higher Power Allah if I choose to do that.

I understand you don't want to be powerless. Neither did I but if I'm not powerless, how is it that (1)every time I drank, I got drunk and (2)I couldn't figure out a way to get sober without asking, "how the hell do I get sober?" If you're not powerless, what the hell are you doing here telling us about how powerless you are?

AAers "make" you put up your defenses??? Those are your defenses!! You can do with them what you want. Don't blame AAers. There you are being powerless again. Can't you control your own defenses??

The nice thing about AA is that you don't have to change religions in order to belong. A person just has to get rid of that closed minded idea that my religion is right and everyone else's is wrong attitude. Just because you're Muslim doesn't make you special. I came in here close to Atheist. I just didn't have the nerve to admit it....so what?? I now have my own Higher Power who most the time I call God. Sometimes I just say "hey you" to get His attention. Point is, He works for me. Best's point about working something 100% is right on. I don't care which program you choose, if you go into with the mindset that you're special and things should change because you don't particularly agree with something, you've still got more drinking to do. I hear that old Kentucky "sippin" whiskey is pretty good.
those words are my reason to be scared. I hear that old Kentucky "sippin" whiskey is pretty good