Notices

remission

Old 06-18-2006, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

remission

Hi, I have been sober for 11 months, attend AA regularly and have got my work and homelife back together. Mostly I have great peace of mind these days. So why the hell is it I feel like I'm just in remission?
I know there is no cure for my disease. I keep working the program a day at a time. But just recently I have felt like I am living on borrowed time and that my addiction is just waiting to pounce. I guess that is because... it is!
I need to change the way I'm feeling. Time to read the Big Book.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you are feeling exactly the right thing. When I've forgotten that my acoholism is only in remission I've drank and lost. Yes, you are also correct in feeling that addiction is ready to pounce. However, I think "Borrowed Time" is the wrong phrase. I think you and me and others in recovery are on " Earned Time". We've earned every minute of sobriety and deserve to be happier. Don W
Old 06-18-2006, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Don - you are right. Sometimes it feels a bit depressing to know the disease is always there. It is dangerous when our minds start to take us "outside the day."
Old 06-18-2006, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

The disease is always there and I've got to remind myself that it could awake at any moment. On the bright side, if it wasn't for my alcoholism, I never would have discovered who I really was. I found myself through recovery.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

"So why the hell is it I feel like I'm just in remission? "

Bob I have heard that so many times, especially from people coming up on their first or second year anniversay.

Every anniversary seems to be a time for reflections, but the FIRST one in particular, whether we do it consciously or subconsciously, becomes so OVERWHELMING it can be mind boggling, so.........being good alkies, we start to dwell on the negative, lmao, after all I don't know about you, but when I was out there those 24 years practicing my alcoholism, I sure did!!!!!

I heard early in AA that "I have a daily reprieve contingent upon my fit spiritual condition." Well that was pretty hard for this alkie to swallow early on, so for me I changed it a bit to this:

"Yes, I am an alcoholic, I Just Don't Drink Today." Put myself in that 'mindset' and have stayed there every since, lots and lots of ODAATs now.

By staying in TODAY I don't have to wonder or worry about whether I am in "remission" or whether I will drink again. It's just not part of my 'daily' routine.

My name is Laurie, I AM an alcoholic, and I Just Don't Drink Today.

JMHO

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 06-18-2006, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for those very wise words. This site is great. So many people are really supportive. It is great to be able to tap into such a powerful resource when life deals a problem. - I am just coming up to that year and I guess I am in a reflective mood.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Bobnik,
It is always there!!!
On the one hand it is nice not to obsess about alcohol,
on the other it is dangerous to forget where we come from
and perhaps become too complacent.
Heres to finding a happy medium, staying in the present,
and not borrowing trouble.
Take care
Old 06-18-2006, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's great to see you are doing so well!!

See if you can relate to this..

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Blessings..
Old 06-18-2006, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is an interesting article, Carol; it seems to be a mix of psychological insight, common sense, and 12-step beliefs. This is a great summary from Part 2:

"You can learn to identify sources of stress and develop skills in decision making and problem solving to help reduce stress. Proper diet, exercise, regular habits, and positive attitudes all play important parts in controlling PAW. Relaxation can be used as a tool to retrain the brain to function properly and to reduce stress."

Hmm. Learn better coping skills, change your lifestyle....
Whether one believes in PAW as a specific syndrome or not, it is certainly useful for long term recovery to learn to manage stress. Otherwise, we are likely to return to our previous coping mechanism.

Needless to say, the 'higher power' portion of Part 3 isn't going to be of interest to folks using alternative programs. But 'balanced living' is certainly a worthy goal!

Just FYI, Bobnik, not everyone accepts the idea that alcoholism is a disease which is always in remission. That is a 12-step program belief. Other recovery programs consider that you have changed the behavior, focus on the lifestyle changes and better coping skills, and look forward.