Notices

I'm too scared to seek help.

Old 02-15-2003, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

I'm too scared to seek help.

I'm Jo, I'm 19 and have been abusing alcohol since I was 14. I've been to AA but got nothing out of it as I was to scared to stand up and speak, too scared to get a sponsor and too scared to talk to the other members about my drinking.
I've been to detox but ended up coming home the day after I was admitted.
I don't know what to do to help myself. Today is my 6th day sober but I can tell it's not going to last much longer.
Anyway, since I'm too scared to speak with anyone, I'd really appreciate some feedback on this message board.
I've read the big book too.
Does anyone know what I can do to help myself? I would *love* to get a sponsor or speak at an AA meeting but for some reason, I start sweating just thinking about it. Any replies would be appreciated.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Joanna.Welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your six days.Please hang on.If the thought of taking a drink comes to you try and dismiss it immediately.

If you still have an urge to use,take a walk or talk to someone about it.Call a friend on the phone preferabbly one who doesn't drink.Call the AA hotline and talk to someone.Get on the computer and read some more of the posts but whatever you do dont pick up that bottle.

Remember that those urges will eventually pass.They will not last forever.When I stopped drinking I found that drinking vast quantities of water helped me with the urges.

You do not have to stand up and speak at an AA meeting or even talk to anyone in order to get anything out of it.

I have met many people who were terrified of speaking at a meeting but were able to listen and identify with the sharing.

You are still very much a part of that group just by being there.

I suggest you give the meetings another try.Don't even worry yourself too much about finding a sponsor right now.That will come in time.

In the meantime continue to read the Big Book and continue reading the posts here.

Peter.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Joanna,

Welcome to soberrecovery!!! The fear that you have is
natural. There is nothing wrong with keeping your mouth
shut and listening...nothing at all. My only suggestion is
that if you can muster enough courage to let people know
that "I'm too scared to talk so I'll listen, pass"...that helped
me years ago. Also thought I'd attach the site for AA
in your area just in case you needed some numbers or
locations....till then just keep posting and sharing.
Great to have you here!!

Blessings,
Vinnie

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~aatimes/r.../regional.html
Old 02-15-2003, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
B0gart

Give em another shot

I can totally relate to your fear about going to meetings and opening up to people there. Sometimes it takes a few shots to hit a meeting that feels like it has the possibility of being a home. as long as you have a desire to stop drinking then you belong in any meeting you decide to walk into. although ideally in every meeting someone should reach out to an unfamiliar face, it doesn't always happen. I first walked into the rooms at 17 in a town of 45,000 people and was one of two teenagers in the rooms there. I was petrified, thought that they wouldn't accept me, some people didn't, but the majority had open arms. Don't worry about talking, just show up, you don't have to volunteer your story to get a seat. Please don't let anything be a reason to not go. Getting a sponsor quick is awesome, but so is sitting quiet for a few weeks and listening to see who seems to work a solid program so you can have a good sponsor. I hope all goes well for you.

Old 02-16-2003, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Joanna...Just keep going to meetings and don't drink in between them. You don't have to talk if you don't want to in the meeting. But try talking to someone experienced after the meeting. It is a hard thing to do at first but it gets easier as time goes on. Stick with the winners (Sober people who have worked the steps) Also the thing that got me talking was going to very small meetings. Those meetings seemed to be more comfrtable for me in the beginning.

Keep Comin Back....N