Notices

alternative attitudes

Old 06-11-2006, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alternative attitudes

anyone heard there are AA alternatives?

AA is not the only way, the news is spreading like wildfire, there are many alternatives that have a higher success rate than AA see this page on AA's effectiveness http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-effectiveness.html the alternatives are as follows for anyone interested:

Links to AA alternatives

Abstinence based programs[LIST][*]SMART Recovery[*]SOS - Secular Organizations for Sobriety[*]Lifering
So to leave aa is not necessaruily to die or go insane!

Isn't it great that there are increasingly more ways to stay sober, ways that suit everyone, pass it on!

Last edited by Peter; 06-11-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

There are more programs as well.
Many of the Christian based programs found in churches have great success.
It isn't a one size fits all. The problem I have with the orange report...
It Bashes! raher then accepts the "fact" that people do recover through AA every day. The report is filled with twisted thinking to get the end goal of the writer...to bash AA.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agent Orange is getting half a million hits a month at the moment.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is the link to our long time sticky on this topic..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ives-info.html
Old 06-11-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

So which one is working for you?
Old 06-11-2006, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by SundayGirl
anyone heard there are AA alternatives?

AA is not the only way, the news is spreading like wildfire, there are many alternatives that have a higher success rate than AA see this page on AA's effectiveness http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-effectiveness.html the alternatives are as follows for anyone interested:

Links to AA alternatives

Abstinence based programs[list][*]SMART Recovery[*]SOS - Secular Organizations for Sobriety[*]Lifering
So to leave aa is not necessaruily to die or go insane!

Isn't it great that there are increasingly more ways to stay sober, ways that suit everyone, pass it on!
Start a meeting today!
Old 06-11-2006, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Last month I gave you the same advice Paul...
How is your new meeting going?
Old 06-11-2006, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Carol,

I tried twice, for about 6 months each time. I went all out too. Some areas just aren't conducive to new things and new ideas.

Paul
Old 06-11-2006, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is a story that is almost legendary about the chap who started AA back in my hometown, way back in the 50 somethings. Story has it he sat alone in that room with his BigBook every night for more than a year waiting for another alcoholic to show up.Because of him AA found a niche here and has saved this alcoholics life.

Start a meeting. Never quit.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
alconaut

I believe there is much truth to Agent's suggestion of natural remission - I'm evidence of that - with respect to those who would have otherwise quit regardless of whether they were in a "program" or not. One thing I did notice he didn't touch upon in this page was the psychological effect of AA (on people who quit while in AA) who would have otherwise quit without the program. There is obviously an influence I would consider conducive and residual, which is different than the mindset of someone who quits by natural remission. That being said, IMO, the mindset of a person who quits while attending AA is not the same as someone who quits on their own. Therefore it is also my opinion that AA can claim credit for those who achieve abstinence while in the program. That would seem to nix his "zero success" analysis. Did I miss something?

I also found Agent's reference to "Jesus-freak Christians" and "gung-ho V.A. guys" as both unnecessary and insulting, being used as a broad generalization of these groups.

Sending a chamois his way.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In my opinon, it has nothing to do with what program someone is in. Its the CHOICE of the individual to carry on drinking or not. Ideologies - naturally I suppose - take all the credit. I think people really deep down say 'enough is enough' I am through with drinking.

And then pretty anything they will do will 'keep' them sober. Because they no longer want to drink.

Just my opinion. Thats the way I see my story. If someone says with total aderance that AA saved them, then who am I to say different??
Old 06-12-2006, 04:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by Five
I think people really deep down say 'enough is enough' I am through with drinking.

And then pretty anything they will do will 'keep' them sober. Because they no longer want to drink.

If someone says with total aderance that AA saved them, then who am I to say different??
While yes, the decision - or action - of the drinker to no longer drink is entirely his/her own, I find it impossible to believe that whatever program an individual participates has no influence on the person's decision or motive(s) prior to quitting. Certainly, the 5% or thereabouts could have quit elsewhere, influenced by a different program or natural remission alone. Just because the 5% of individuals who quit while in AA attendance may have eventually quit by natural remission, doesn't mean AA had no influence. Wouldn't that influence account for the supposed higher relapse rate of an AA member, than someone who quits by natural remission?

ETA: Now, don't think that because I validate the notion that the relapse rate of an AA attendee may be higher than that of someone who quits by natural remission means that I give Agent's "zero success" analysis any credence. There are countless AA members who became abstinent while in the program and remained that way until their deaths, whether or not they remained active members.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
learning

There are alternatives to AA?

Shocking...
Old 06-12-2006, 11:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bartender129

Shocking...
Yeah......LITERALLY.....There's a guy over in SA talking 'bout a machine that shoots low voltage electrical impulses into the brain to treat alcoholism. Thanks but I'll stick to AA.......at least I don't have to worry about running out of batteries.....http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...es-device.html
Old 06-12-2006, 12:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was surfing the net, desperately searching for an AA alternative, and found the Rational Recovery site, which has been working very well for me. It's not for everybody, but being a science-minded atheist who hates talking in groups...it was the perfect solution.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Michael

Five's post and Autumn's response both put in a nutshell the basic theory of recovery. Yes. of course, we make a decision to quit and our future sobriety depends on the foundation stone of that decision. But the decision alone is not enough for a great number of people who need the moral, spiritual and group based support to build on the original decision. AA and a lot of other programmes offer that range of support and that framework that many of us need to build on.
For me personally, the decision to get sober was the turning point. All of my decisions since are informed by that original decision and I do try to rationalise my way through the inevitable temptations and rocky patches. The thing is though that although I am depending on rationality I have used AA and I do use rational recovery's approach to dealing with the addictive voice. I suppose I am building on their framework a kind of custom made sobriety that fits only me.
Michael
Old 06-12-2006, 02:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bartender129

Shocking...
I've heard of one or two, yeah...
Old 06-12-2006, 02:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

why do some get so hung up on this alternative to AA?

alcohol is a problem for some people
some of these people have found the solution to be AA
others have found another way

now eating, money, relationships, family, work,
probably even crossing the street
is a problem for some people
i'm sure not all these people find the same solution to their problem
so
isn't it, like, why bash AA?
if it works for you, fine
if not, fine, too
there are other solutions to try