Notices

bit of a problem

Old 06-08-2006, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bit of a problem

I'm suppossed to go to an informal department meeting tommorrow afternoon. We're talking about the Young Writer's Seminar we do every summer, that I'm pretty much in charge of organizing.
Here's the problem. My Dean called the meeting at a bar and grill here that was my regular watering hole when I was still drinking. I don't think I'm ready to go into any bar yet, much less my favorite one.
I don't know what to do though. No one at work knows I'm an alcoholic--or at least one that isn't drinking anymore Should I tell my dean in secret and ask him to have the meeting someplace where we can still have lunch but that doesn't serve alcohol (some of the other folks there will be drinking and might be po'd about that). Should I just buck up and go? I really need to be at this meeting, but I'm not going to do it at the risk of my sobriety. Any advice at all would be welcome.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Tough call...
it's too late to have the meeting place changed.

Can you take a non drinking/AA friend?
Go late leave early?
Say no to drinks as you are driving?
Say no as your stomach is quesy?

If you get too tempted just leave quickly.

Personally...in early sobriety..I'd not go.

Take care...
Old 06-09-2006, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmmm...it might be kind of difficult to go and watch other people drinking. Fridays always seem to be harder anyway. This might sound stupid but right before you go, maybe you should make a list of exactly why you stopped drinking and write out some of your least favorite memories from drinking. Perhaps that could help get you through it, if changing the meeting place is out of the question?

Also if you have a friend or sponsor who is aware of your situation, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call beforehand just for a "pep" talk.

Good luck!
GJ
Old 06-09-2006, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Antabuse does the trick for me... Ask your doctor.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Toronto Guy:

Is antabuse something that you have to take everyday?
Old 06-09-2006, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes you do.. However, it's not a long term solution... I am using it in my early sobriety with counselling and AA.... Basically, it takes away one's choice to have that first drink.. It has been working great so far.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TorontoGuy:

Glad to hear it. Thank you and good luck.

GJ
Old 06-09-2006, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

that is a tough one, gee.. i know that my recovery & sobriety come first above all, without that it'd all be gone in a minute anyways. I like the idea Carol through out there about a non-drinking friend. I heard someone else say that when they showed up to a bar for a work meeting once, they showed up early, tipped the bartender $20 and told them not to serve them any alcoholic beverages no matter what they say. Haha. Yeah, I know we alcoholics have a way of getting what we want no matter what - but if it's only a short meeting that may be worth a try. good luck
Old 06-09-2006, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Paul83

I worked in a cocktail lounge just down from the White House.

When Nixon was e elected ..several members of his staff came over..

"We want to entertain here..
bring us 1 drink of Vodka on the rocks..
water after that and charge for a drink"

A few years later..2 of them were in my AA home group.

Thanks for the memory...
Old 06-10-2006, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ASH

How did it go? I hope it worked out for you
Old 06-11-2006, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is a toughie. In the Big Book we are told that if we are spiritually fit and have proper motive for going that we can go anywhere. Having said that, in early sobriety I was fearful of going anywhere where there was alcohol.

Here are the things I have done to get through situations where I knew I would be around alcohol. #1 I have prayed before, during and after. #2 I have called my sponsor before, during and after. #3 I have had ginger ale which to many looks like a drink. #4 I have told my bosses in private that I am a recovering alcoholic (gives that extra security since no way do I want to blow sobriety with an audience!). #5 I have said that I was on a medication where I couldn't drink. #6 I have built in escape hatches to where I could get out if things got too intense and I needed to escape the alcohol.

I am assuming this meeting is already over. I'd like to know how you did. I posted these in case you or anyone else is faced with this in the future.

Hugs,
Kellye