Notices

New here.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here.

Hi. I've been lurking around here for awhile and thought I'd join ya'll. I'm 29 and from the central valley in California. Anyway, I have a problem with alcohol. I've been sober for 4 days now (although I have had some non-alcoholic beer...and yes, I know it contains a small amount of alcohol). Anyway, I'm doing o.k. I don't really feel AA is the program for me, so am working with a therapist to help me get through this. I haven't been drinking for long, probably 2 years. I drink socially or alone, I really don't care. But for about the last 6 months I've been drinking pretty heavily, probably about 10 beers a night 6 nights a week. I don't know why. Mostly lonliness I guess, with a bit of depression. Anyway. Even though I'm doing this on my own (i.e. no treatment center or AA) I thought it might be good for me to both give and get support from others who are in the same boat as I am. Which is why we're all here, I guess. So....hi.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Welcome to SR. I'm glad you found your way here. I've been coming here for 2 years now. The good people here are like family. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and your story. I can relate to something you said. You said for the last 6 months you have been drinking pretty heavily, but you don't know why. That is the nature of alcoholism. It is progressive and it will swallow you up quickly. I have learned the hard way and the progression is a force that cannot be reckoned with. Keep coming back for support and know this...there is a solution.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Congratulations on the days collected.
Yes how you are going about it can work but don't discount AA. Keep an open mind on it. I have found that the 12 steps used by AA help in all areas of life, not just as a tool for helping with alcohol.

I don't know why. Mostly lonliness I guess, with a bit of depression.
That can bring about self reasoning that we would used to justify drinking in our own mind. Good place to look for answers.

One other...alcohol intake is progressive. Today one beer...next week 3 are needed for the same buzz...2 years...12 a night or more.

You have made a good choice by seeking answers now. 20 years from now it would be a lot harder.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Twist,

Welcome! I'm glad you decided to join us.

Congratulations on Day 4, that's terrific. I'm not an AA person either, though I believe it's a great program. Use whatever method works for you and keeps you sober and living a peaceful life.

Keep posting!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow that was fast! Will I always get a response in less than 5 minutes? ;-)

Thanks, though. And yes, I can definately tell I have built up a tolerance to alcohol, no question. To get a buzz, it started out at 3...then 6...now 12. Actually, I seem to always get a buzz at about 4-6 beers...but I kept on drinking to sustain it, which, as we all know, doesn't work. You go from feeling great to just, well, feeling drunk.

I guess i'm not a typical alcoholic, though. For instance, if I go to a family get together or anothe situation where being drunk is inappropriate, I can have 3 beers and switch to soft drinks. But not when i'm with friends or alone, and have no reason not to get drunk. I have a lot of problems with the definition of alcoholism that I can't rectify yet in my own head. I just don't think it's a black or white issue, an "either you are or you aren't" type thing. I think there are degrees of dependence on alcohol, and I was definately on the wrong side of that scale. So, I'm giving abstinance a go.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Replies depend on how many people are here and who happens to be here at the time Anything less then 24 hours is good *LOL*

Definintions... Black and white, cut and dry... I agree with you. Degrees or stages of where we are at is more how I would look at it.
Differing types of alcoholics as well. I am not or never have been dependent on alcohol to function. I am the one who after haveing 2 beers, I won't stop till I pass out or run out of money.
One is never enough and one leads to two and that makes one, one to many.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the sunnyside of the street. While no program works for all, this site offers a little for everyone. Join in for the fun, stay for the sobriety.

Peace, Levi.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations for seeking answers to your drinking...

Alcoholism is a disease and there are stages.
I suggest you get more factual info

My favorite book on alcoholism is
"Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

Both can be ordered from Amazon...

Glad to see a new member...we do understand and you are not alone.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Twist,
Old 06-03-2006, 05:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try thse links for info

http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm#8

Also...look in here for lots of info on Alcohol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Take care...
Old 06-03-2006, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Welcome Twist, congrats on day 4 and the other days sober!!! That is a great thing to do for yourself. I don't know why alcoholics are alcoholics. I do know that on this forum there seem to be many variations of drinking alcoholically, but there are many, many similarities. I personally found that I drank alcoholically from the first time I was out at a party in my teens and allowed to drink (well not really allowed to drink ... but no parental supervision). I continued to drink, build a bit of a tolerance and ultimately failed to achieve my potential, spent too many hours in a wasted state and embarassed and debased myself when drunk.

Deep down inside I knew I was alcoholic but denied the truth to my conscious self because then I would have to do something about it. It was very difficult for me NOT to obssess over having a drink, in fact it was impossible, I could drink to a certain limit when in the right sober company, but when I got into drinking company or home alone, then I could "let my hair" down. My body took over from my mind, and it ruled me, changing my thinking.

Today I do not obssess over alcohol and I don't miss it, in fact my life is too much better and improved for me to ever want to risk my happiness and security again.

Stay strong,
love Brigid
Old 06-03-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Twist, My opinion and my opinion only is that if I have to ask myself if I have a problem with ketchup, then more than likely I do, or I wouldn't be asking the question. If I am asking myself if I am an alcoholic, then I probably am or I wouldn't have to ask the question. There are so very many different types of alcoholics that there is no actual "typical" alcoholic. We all have our little idiosyncrasy that makes us different but the bond that pulls us toghther is that alcohol in some form or fashion has interfered with our lives in a way that makes it important for us to stop drinking to be happy, healthy, productive, law abiding, honest, (and all the other good words you would like to be but arn't right now) people. That is the true bond we share. Through this bond we find a love for each other that is sometimes closer than family ties. That helps us to stay sober in times of crises ie death of a loved one, going through health problems like cancer, or other serious problems no one should attempt to handle without support. AA is where I found all the above. This can also be found in other recovery support groups, AA is not the only way to sobriety. But I highly encourage you to get involved with some type of recovery support group. You cannot replace the one on one face to face contact you recieve from one alcoholic helping another. That is a spiritual experience. I did not say religion. Love to you Debs
Old 06-05-2006, 06:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Twist-That's what I love about this place. You can post anytime day or night, and there is usually someone on ready to offer encouragement. It's a little bit easier than an AA meeting because it doesn't require you to stand up in a room full of strangers and tell very personal things about yourself. Not that I'm knockin' AA of course, but the anonymity of the internet makes it easier sometimes to talk.

Good luck and hang in there!!
GJ
Old 06-05-2006, 07:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I do not know of any AA meeting such as you describe.
GJ You have been to one that does that?
I do know meetings are shown that way in films.

I agree the on line recovery is different and I too love it
as a supplemmrnt to F2F

There is no reason to not enjoy both...
Old 06-05-2006, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Carol:

Sorry, I guess "requires" was not really the word I should have used to describe it. Of course I wasn't required to share anything, but most everyone else there was pretty forthcoming with their thoughts/experiences and a lot of them also seemed to know each other so I felt a little self conscious. But by no means did anyone make me feel unwelcome.

GJ
Old 06-05-2006, 09:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Twist, welcome to SR, stay sober.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Welcome Twist! How goes it?

DK
Old 06-05-2006, 03:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Twist, Great on the 4 days. Just try to keep things simple at the start. Set reachable goals. Remember, it's progress not perfection.