Notices

Tommorrow is a Test for Me.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tommorrow is a Test for Me.

It will be the first time since I've stopped drinking (10 days now) that I'm going to socialize. I'm going to visit a friend of mine down state. One of the few friends I have who isn't a "huge" drinker. But, we do usually get together for lunch and a few drinks--which always turned into way more than a few for me. But, he knows I'm on the wagon and agreed to go someplace that doesn't serve alcohol. But, even the drive down will be tempting as I usually sipped a few beers then. I know how incredibly stupid that is. And I thank god every night that I never hurt anyone. I can't beleive how my drunk mind ever rationalized that.
Anyway, just wish me well. I know I'm going to be ok, but there is part of me wondering if I can do this--step back out into the world sober. But I guess I have to do it sometime.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck, buktrouble. Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Still, sometimes the temptation isn't worth it, especially in early sobriety. I, personally, did not go to bars or do any kind of socializing where alcohol was present for a loooong time. For me, the safest thing was to stick with my friends in recovery. To each his/her own, though. We are all different. Just know that you do have the option of putting off socializing for awhile longer, until you feel you have a more solid foundation under you in sobriety.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, ok? We're all in this together!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest you take non alcoholic drinks in the car for the drive.

Enjoy..
Old 06-02-2006, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most definitily; it'll be diet coke for me.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by buktrouble
Most definitily; it'll be diet coke for me.
20 oz bottles fit nice in the cupholder on my bike *LOL*

When I travel alone, I will use one of the small soft side cooler bags for long trips. I will freeze a bottle and use that as the ice that keeps the others cold. Buy the time it melts, I have finished the others and can now drink it.
An empty 20 diet coke bottle, filled with plain water and frozen gives me a second choice as well as water that could be needed to wash my hands with when on the road.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just think of how proud you will feel after you visit your friend and did not have to drink! That is my motivation when I do things where temptation is there. I always think how good I will feel for getting through it sober and I always think of how bad I will feel if I have a drink. Who is stronger you or the drink?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've found the key is that I cannot "plan" for every contingency, but I CAN predetermine my response. I know the "addict voice" will find its way into my thoughts, thus, I also know I have to be prepared b/c the next thought after the addict thought is my response, and it must always be NO, I DO NOT DRINK.

Peace, Levi
Old 06-03-2006, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

buktrouble... Look into antabuse, I am on it right now and it takes away that "choice" to drink... I got through this week pretty easy, altough craving were strong at times... Instead, I hit the gym, got a golf game in and stayed away from booze.... It works for me.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Michael

I agree with Leviathon on this. It is unrealistic to live your sober life with no contact with alcohol. Here in England alcohol is simply everywhere and it is simply impossible to avoid it. Far better toget used to its presence and to practice your response to the inevitable offer of a drink.
There are any number of decent non-alcoholic drinks available, carbonated water being one of my favorites, but I would advise great caution with the so-called non alcoholic beers.
Have a great trip and enjoy the sober journey there and back.
Michael
Old 06-03-2006, 04:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone. Thanks for your support. Well, I made it there and back without drinking. We went to a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol then to a comic book shop (I love comics). On the way home, however, I was jonesing for a beer so bad I was about to break into tears. Every gas station I passed my alcoholic mind was trying to give me excuses as to why I should stop in for a six pack. But, I didn't. I kept telling myself and feel better when I got home and I do and feel pretty proud of myself for staying sober today (just like I do everyday). Don't know what I would do without you guys. Thanks so much.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 06-03-2006, 05:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, your post helped me...I have been hiding out in my safe haven, my hotel room and am afraid to get out amongst people and the world.
I am not the socializer type anyway.
I am friendly at work (am off on medical leave) but that seems to be all the socializing I want or need....but I have to drag myself out of this room. I need to be able to get out to go to the post office, the grocery store, things like that....and love the book stores.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is off topic, but why the caution about NA beer? I've never had it before and I have a feeling that once I tell my family about where I'm at, it may appear in the fridge next time I'm home...
Old 06-03-2006, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For the last go round on non alcoholic beer...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...olic-beer.html

Old 06-04-2006, 11:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Buktrouble, First of all nothing you say sounds stupid. Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Also, a true friend that is willing to change to help you. I found one of the most difficult thing in recovery was to start to trust myself.
Just try to focus on enjoying time with your friend and being able to remember it after. Don W