Famous Alcoholics

Old 08-12-2007, 03:29 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

GT, No apologies needed.

Tom
Old 08-21-2007, 05:34 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Bill Ward

Patsy: Moving on to finally when you hit bottom, you were very depressed and addicted during the Heaven and Hell tour, and hit rock bottom after you left the band. I know that you were supposed to do some dates, and you cancelled out on them and finally just couldn't go back anymore, couldn't deal with it. And then you really hit rock bottom. With a friend's help, you started recovering your life back eventually. How did you get back on track during that period, and what made you realize that enough was enough and you had to change that you were so bad off?

Bill: What got me back on track was that there are recovery processes for people who are really ill from alcoholism or drug addiction or from anything else for that matter. So, I participated in recovery groups, and I still do to this day. That is what got me back on track. How I got there is a like any other drunk's story. In my particular case, you know, it's just the same thing as any other alcoholic goes through, which is depair, drink becomes a priority above everything else, and then finally the illness that the alcohol brings totally destroys the human body and the human mind, period.

Patsy: Could you bring yourself? Did you figure it out for yourself?

Bill: Well, what happened was that when I left from the band during Heaven and Hell, I had no idea about dealing with the losses, I didn't even know that I had loss at that time. What happened was that the fine line between still being able to control or not being able to control, the fine line of being able to still function as a drunk…I crossed the line, and I was unable to function any longer. Drink became the number one priority above everything, above my kids, my child at the time. It became the most important thing on earth. The booze was the number one thing for me. And so, when that happened, that was it, I was on my way to hell and it took about a year and a half to get to the real hell, and when you are in real hell, it takes awhile to figure out what the hell is going on. I take it all light-heartedly now, I mean, I went through that, I am glad I went through that. I'm really glad I have that experience, Pat, because everything else is cake now, to be honest with you.

Patsy: There you go, that's one way to look at it. Once you've been to hell, nothing else can bother you too much, right?

Bill: Pretty much. I went to the real place in a sense of utter despair, loneliness, three suicide attempts, in and out of hospitals all the time, detoxing in hospitals all the time, in and out of recovery clubs, in and out of just totally nuts, panhandling , living out on the streets, you know, just a whole hell mess.

Patsy: That is why it is amazing that you have come around so far, really…

If I had 15 posts, I could provide the links so that the rest of the interview could be read... I guess this also has something to do with why my custom avatar that I worked on almost all day isn't appearing?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Ever heard of the eightys bands? If i was to release my name alot of you would know me.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:43 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Just a drunk now and need help, looking for a good rehab, see my other post.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:37 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Tommy Seebach

From Wikipedia:

Seebach's problems with alcoholism took their toll on him and he died at the age of 53 from a heart attack...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTKL8MNH95Q
Old 08-24-2007, 05:17 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

There is a book I read many years ago called "Those Drinking Days" and as I remember it was about alcoholic writers. The point I took away was that, although it is often said that people cease to be so creative, funny etc. after they give up addictions one has to wonder what more they might have done if they could have come to their art "clean".

As an artist, I can tell you it takes a lot to get your "grove" back, not the least of which is discipline, support, and knowledge about the destructive power of alcohol etc. But, if you can change your life the rewards are tremendous.

I am in NYC, and meetings are full of the famous, but we all still have the same problem. I have been there so many years that I have seen some of the "famous" come and go, die or get their lives together, and I have also seen many who "disappeared" from their fame for a while to regroup and emerged the stronger and better for it.

Thanks for the tip about "The Dark Tower".

Jhana
Old 08-24-2007, 06:44 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Problemchild,

Do not ever think what you are trying to do is easy, or "done". I hung with a lot of (jazz) musicians in NYC, and many are gone, but a few made it through and are better than ever. OK, so that is NY, but I have also lived in small towns over the years and AA is just a good way to connect with people. No more, and no less, in my humble opinion.

We are not alone. In POUGHKEEPSIE, for goodness' sake, two people I met at meetings were very famous musicians. One is now dead because he couldn't quit, and the other is at the top of her game. Go figure.

But it is not easy. Take everything an hour at a time, if necessary, and just try to do the next right thing...for that hour. Hangovers? Nothing but sober time solves that one, and thank goodness, because if there was a miracle "cure" half of us would be dead in a week from alcohol poisoning.

Thinking of you,
Jhana
Old 08-24-2007, 07:37 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

There are a few meetings in West LA, Santa Monica, and particularly Westwood where you can usually see the rich, famous and the struggling. Anonymity is the other A in AA. I have even had the privilege of working with some folks of notoriety who are delegates to Area Five of GSO. These are by my standards "real" famous alcoholics!

Hey if it were easy EVERYBODY would do it! Heck, I kind of figure that anyone who goes to bed tonight with another day without using anything that alters his or her thinking is pretty famous to someone in their lives!

Jon
Old 11-17-2010, 03:24 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Abstinence Apprentice

I realize this is an old thread, but wanted to mention Jason Robards - Actor.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:02 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Ulysses Grant, former president, Hitler was a drug addict, Mickey Mantle, Hank Williams, Rush Limbaugh(drug addict), Jim Morrison.......
Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Interesting thread.

I can't believe Ataturk died of alcoholism...amazing!

I would add just about every artist from about 1900 onward...jk, although it seems like a lot, that whole angsty artistic thing.

One of my favorites is Cooter from the Dukes of Hazard...I keep meaning to read his biography...I also want to read Russell Brands at some time:-)
Old 11-17-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Antony Hopkins is also a greatful recovering alcoholic that speaks openly about it. I know that Steve Tyler and Anthony Kiedis are both recovering addicts/alcoholics. A lot of the famous rockers from the 60's and 70's, if that are still alive, are only alive because they got into recovery.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Many great writers were (are) addicts, Steinbeck and Harper Lee come to mind. I've never felt their celebrity makes a difference in the relevance or importance of their stories.

I had a rehab roomie who went through Hazelden and heard great stories of Eric Clapton's stay there!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hm....
Marilyn Monroe
Ava Gardner
Frank Sinatra
Jack Kerouac
Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald
Virginia Woolf

from the more recent ones:
obviously Amy Winehouse
Lindsay Lohan (duh...)
Tara Reid
Robert Downey Jr. (sober now)
Kristen Davis (from Sex and the City; also sober now)
Lara Stone (high fashion model of the moment; sober now)
Old 11-17-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ali McGraw

Diana Ross

Melanie Griffith

Mary Tyler Moore

Ann-Margaret

Drew Barrymore

Elizabeth Taylor
Old 11-17-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Ronald Macdonald
Old 11-18-2010, 05:00 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I remember being really surprised when I heard Kristen Davis was an alcoholic. I really don't know why, I just was.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
I remember being really surprised when I heard Kristen Davis was an alcoholic. I really don't know why, I just was.
I agree...I think it is that wholesome, cleancut persona....and even we who know better can fall into that trap.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

I like hearing about these, especially about the people who are leading successful lives in recovery/are recovered.

One of the most amazing to me is Clarence Thomas. Not that I think he's a particularly great justice (and even if I agreed with his politics I wouldn't think he was), but I think that level of accomplishment is remarkable in that you can see how his career could have been so easily derailed by alcoholism (unlike celebrity, in which partying does have some benefits for celebrities). Law.com - In Emotionally Revealing Book, Justice Thomas Is Most Critical of Himself