Notices

Hello I'm new here

Old 05-31-2006, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello I'm new here

Hello everyone,
I'm obiwan and I'm a thirty three year old man who considers himself an alcoholic.I've binged on and off since I first discovered alcohol at 17.

Since graduating I have been a graphic designer, but my father died three years ago and the year after that I lost my job. I'm not entirely sure if this was connected with my drinking but since he passed away my binge drinking alone has increased steadily. When I finished my design job I was in the process of dating a girl who went on to become what I consider the love of my life. We lasted just over a year before she left me. We used to get in arguments when I was drunk and I thoroughly regret it, not because I physically abused her in any way, but because I could have treated her a lot better and been more ambitious. To put it simply, she deserved a lot better and I didn't give it to her.

Anyways, I got back out there and met other girls and got relatively healthy. I started a temporary position which has now finished so I am claiming benefits. I am in a relationship but I can't see it continuing as I know deep down she isn't the one. When I see her we both tend to drink a lot and often have arguments - although I believe this is mainly due to the fact we aren't very compatible.

Anyways - to get to the point,
I tend to binge drink - I won't drink for two nights (sometimes three) and then I will spend a night on my own and drink two bottles of wine and three cans of beer before passing out. I never used to, but I have recently started craving a drink in the morning, and find it difficult not to if there is some left in the fridge. I think my ambition has decreased a lot in the last three years and I want it back as I used to thoroughly enjoy my job. Now I don't have one but am looking very hard.

I haven't drunk since Sunday - during the whole day I had two bottles of wine and two beers - which seems to be my limit. This may not seem like a lot to some people but I have taken the alcoholic test online and ticked yes to most of the questions.

I have lied to friends and girlfriends about my drinking - saying I have been out doing other things when I have in fact been on my own in the house getting hammered.

I would very much appreciate your advice regarding my comments, and the best way of giving up. I heard the DTs are par for the course during the first few days abstinence. I know they can be very dangerous and want to know if I should be worried about them enough to get medical attention.

I estimate I binge three to four days in the week.

Thankyou

obiwan
Old 05-31-2006, 03:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR good thing you didn't drink since Sunday, keep it up. Post here if ya got urges, dig into programs to help with addiction problems (AA, SMART, Lifering, and so on, there are lotsa options) read...distract yourself, that's all I can say, really.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!
What i did was head to the recovery rooms of AA,and started making changes,through the 12 steps.
If you are concerned,about the DDT,s,your doctor can be of help.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Goodd to see you looking for answers!
Congratulations!

It's always wise to see a doctor to de tox.
Look at the top of this page for
"Quitting-what to expect" to read our experiences.

DT's are a fact and dangerous but there are also
other serious concerns with de toxification.

The short periods of not drinking you are doing are
not allowing alcohol to ever leave your brain and body.

I suggest a doctor and I use AA to stay sober.

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-31-2006, 12:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Michael

Obiwan,
Welcome to SR, you will get endless advice and support here. Don't concern yourself with how much you used to drink, alcoholism isn't fussy about that. Alcoholism is not quantifiable but it will kid you into thinking that it is and lead you back to the booze because "you don't really qualify".
Get yourself off to your nearest AA meeting and get the help and support that you nedd to start you on the road to recovery. You will not only get sober but you will also get your old life back.
Best wishes
Michael
Old 05-31-2006, 11:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Céad míle fáilte, Obiwan!
Your drinking pattern sounds really similar to mine! Also about 2 bottles of wine limit (I would be TRASHED though, blackouts, etc) about 3 times a week. It started affecting EVERYTHING negatively, but now that I think about it, it was ALWAYS affecting everything negatively!

I am so sorry about your dad, and for your loss.

I struggled for about a year after realising, through this site, that i was an alcoholic. Today I am a grateful alcoholic and my life is better and more peaceful, rewarding, serene (most of the time, lol!!! NOT all ofthe time!) Basically I am not exaggerating when I claim to live a life beyond my wildest dreams.

How? Through discovering AA and working the program - that means going to meetings, getting a sponsor and working the 12 steps which is like a program for living LIFE! I am full of gratitude and hope. AA provides for one to have a 'higher power' of your own understanding...some people use deceased relatives (brother, father, etc) some people the wind, I use God. It's such a freedom and a blessing.

My advice to you : look up a meeting on internet, phone them up and go with an open mind...see how you feel. There you will find people just like you and a fellowship that is quite staggeringly amazing!

So glad that you are here!

Cathy31
x
ps I went to meetings in Cardiff and Aberystwyth...very cool! I LOVE the welsh accent!!!