Notices

Dr Phil Vs. American Idol

Old 05-30-2006, 08:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Originally Posted by El Gato
I would imagine that the next 'Dr. Phil Special' will be an update. At the end of this episode, it was said that she will be getting a sponsor-type buddy.

Anyone like 'Intervention' on A&E?
I taped the show and finally watched it over the weekend. I couldn't believe she relapsed....a small part of me felt sorry for her (b/c she's REALLY got it bad...)and part of me wanted to strangle her. I DO think, as a couple, they are toxic together. I hope there's an update.

Yes, I like Intervention! They need some new episodes, though. Too many re-runs lately!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I generally don't mind Dr. Phil too much. I agree with a good deal of what he says even if a lot of it is common sense. But I started to get upset last week when he had a show about sexual predators and on the show had a father giving a detailed account of certain acts that he performs on his 9 year old daughter. Now I understand that sexual predators are a big problem but to me, you can educate people without having someone go into detail about disgusting incestuous acts.

It seems that he is relying more and more on shock value for ratings. But I do wish I could have seen the show on alcoholism, I watched American Idol instead.

GJ
Old 05-30-2006, 10:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Paused

I have the sinking feeling the couple isn't doing to well.

Oprah is doing an update on a alcoholic woman that she featured on her show, not good. She gets arrested for DUI. I will be watching. You see people slipping further down the hole and want to shake them and yell wake up! Yet, they don't get it. I can relate. I was one of those people. I'm grateful I finally woke up to the reality of the disease.

I too watch intervention. I must sound morose for continuing to watch these type of shows, but I feel it is a good reminder of what my options are and the grips addiction has on us. I'm looking forward to the new season.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Daisyj - you might be able to get a copy if you visit his website(?) Worth a shot... He might even have clips from it on his site.

Speaking of shock value and Dr. Phil - he did a 'special' on cheaters (or something like that) back in the early winter, and I SWEAR they were all actors/actresses on the show! I shook my head/rolled my eyes the whole time and could guess what they would say next. Now either I have secret powers, or that show was too transparent!
Old 05-30-2006, 02:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Paused

I think Dr. Phil should book Jerry Springer on his show.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yeah, too many reruns lately of Intervention. What I'd like to see more of is follow ups. On the regular episodes, only 5 minutes is spent on the after. But then the name of the show is 'Intervention', not 'The Aftermath'.

Would Dr. Phil psyco-analyze Jerry?? According to freud everything goes back to sex.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Paused

If that's the case, he should invite Maury as well.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2dayzmuse
If that's the case, he should invite Maury as well.
There is this one ongoing 'drama', where this woman has like 4 kids and she can't find the daddy to any of them. At last count, I think 8 or 10 dudes have been checked. Amazing.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Paused

That seems to be the common theme on Maury.