Notices

I really hope someone can help me here...

Old 05-17-2006, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Is actually a female.

I really hope someone can help me here...

Ok...here's the deal...I'm a 20 year old female and have been battling the monster called alcoholism for about 3 years now. I've been in treatment three times. The last time was a little over a year ago. I did the AA thing then decided that I just was not ready to quit. I did cut back considerably but of course it was still a problem. Well about 3 months ago I had a 2 month drinking binge. The worst one I've EVER had but not the longest. In the first month I was getting black out drunk sometimes 2 or 3 nights in a row but mostly every other night. During the second month I had finally tapered down to doing it on the weekends until I decided I had to stop. (Note everything I'm about to tell you has NEVER happened to me before.) Well a week after my last drunken excursion the fatigue hit and hit hard. I put on about 10-15 pounds, the hair on my head as well as pubic hair started shedding, I lost some eyebrows as well, I had constipation, dry skin, I missed an entire period for the first time in my life, extremely moody and depressed. The works. Well, I was hoping that most of these symptoms would go away and they haven't. Still 3 months later I'm constipated, skin is very dry, I still get tired easily, my eyebrows are still thin, my nails are brittle and the hair on my head still seems to be shedding. But I've lost way more hair from "down there" than anywhere else. I'm down to less than half what I used to have. I also cannot lose weight. Some other things I've noticed is I don't get hungry anymore (my stomach never growls) and I don't sweat near as much as I used to ( I used to have hyperhidrosis). I also can't tolerate stimulants. I'm on dexedrine for adhd but now if I take it, when it runs out of my system I totally crash. I get extremely ill and my heart rate gets extreeeemely low. I've seen a doctor about this and had my thyroid checked and was also checked for vitamin deficiency but everything came back fine. Can ANYONE tell me what has happened to me and if it will ever go away?! I'm sick and tired of being so sick and tired because of this. Do you think it was the binge itself that did this or the withdrawals? Or both? Any insight is much appreciated. I'm losing all hope of this ever going away.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
alconaut

Eidolon....

Those are some unusual symptoms; many I have never heard of as relates to alcohol abuse. You sound so stressed and anguished - understandably so! Sorry you're feeling so bad hon.

It's a little late and not many are here this time of night, but you should see some responses and lots more tomorrow.

Welcome to SR.

P.S. Just out of curiosity, are you on Depo Provera?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you live in Los Angeles or Louisiana? I have a wide network of people across the country. Maybe I know someone where you live. I've helped a few others from this forum find help in this manner.
Regards,
Jim
Old 05-17-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Is actually a female.

Originally Posted by jimhere
Do you live in Los Angeles or Louisiana? I have a wide network of people across the country. Maybe I know someone where you live. I've helped a few others from this forum find help in this manner.
Regards,
Jim
Louisiana...I'll go ahead and put that in location.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

I would suggest going to another doctor. Generally speaking what you describe is not typical of alcohol abuse. Not to say that it couldn't be part of the problem. But I suggest asking for more tests.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR...
I also suggest another medical opinion.

Sorry to see you are in distress...Hugs
Old 05-18-2006, 03:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hmm, are you taking any other medications besides the stuff you're on for ADHD? Anyway I think you should see another dr or demand some more testing...
Old 05-18-2006, 03:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you need help of a medical nature. You have things happening to your body that only a doctor can understand.

Get you life on track again, stick around, and get some help.

Love, 5.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Those don't sound to me like withdrawal symptoms, especially lasting so long like they have. Maybe your doctor didn't take you seriously enough. Being a doctor doesn't make you a good doctor, as I'm sure you know. Why not try another one? You can walk in with a list of all your sypmtoms written down, that will help him to grasp the whole picture right off.
It's wonderful that you're staying sober! Once you get a handle on these medical issues you'll feel so much better.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Hi Eidolon and welcome to SR. How is the not drinking going? I would think about an alternative to a doctor as well, maybe a naturopath. I definitely recommend looking at the diet and adding some yogurt, as much of the stuff as you can, some broths (soups), lots of fresh salads and greens. Get some sunshine as well, lots of sleep, some light exercise, maybe walking a bit.

None of these things will hurt, they should help anyone who is not well, regardless of the illness. I can't stress enough the value of yogurt!! It is an excellent food and very nourishing and healing. There is also a very good product called Grainfields Australia, I think you can get it over there, it is a really good food source of good bacteria, I recommend it highly.

I am not a doctor or have any qualifications at all but I have worked in the health food industry and seen the results when people have changed what they put into their bodies. You really sound like your body needs some good nutrition, feed it right.

Also, drink lots of fresh water and if there is a beach anywhere near where you live, go and have a swim in the ocean, full of great minerals.

lots of love,
Brigid