Notices

Question about CAMPRAL

Old 06-09-2006, 01:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

OK Doc is particularly worried about the skin rash the drugs gave me. I was particularly worried about the psycological effects. He says to try without them.

I don't want to knock these pills as they obviously work in a subtle kind of way but it may be a bad reaction I had to them, so I'm not telling you to not give them a go.

But personally, feeling like I had a hangover everyday (progressively getting worse by the day) was likely to drive me back to drink eventually.

Those that said this was mainly widthdrawl... it is important to remember I am only a part time alcoholic. I have constantly taken up drink and given it up literally every 3 or 4 days - on \ off on \off over the years so I am totally used to what my body feels giving up alcohol. Maybe this has some bearing on how I reacted to the drugs as my body "knows" what to do when sobering up. I don't know - maybe I'm talking cr*p. lol.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The topic seems to be deserted... Anyway, I've come across it while searching the Web, so anyone can still read it. So, I will add a link that seems useful to me though I have already posted it on this forum. It is about Campral vs Antabuse. I hope someone can be intrested, too
Campral vs Antabuse. What is the difference? Quick Reference on Effects of Campral and Antabuse Drugs.(
Old 02-04-2010, 04:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I take campral, go to aa, see a therapist and actively pursue my recovery through the AA and Hazeleden literature, meditate and pray and work the steps with my sponsor.

My sponsor does not approve of meds for cravings but she is not a doctor.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It sounds like Don S. provided some accurate information based on my use of Campral. Campral WILL NOT decrease DT's...Campral WILL NOT curb your desire to drink. Campral...was explained to me by the psych that prescribed it as something designed for alcoholics, methamphetamine addicts, and cocaine addicts, wow I met all three criteria, lol . Anyway, the doc's words, "over time it helps to restore to the brain what the other chemicals have stripped". I wasn't on it very long however I did notice some changes in my brain activity, not sure if it was the drug or a placebo effect. What kept me away from it's long term usage was the price, my insurance company would not cover it and it was costing my roughly $85.00 for a month. Silly me, putting a price on my mental health, oh well.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well......Yes...

The topic seems to be deserted...
because most of those members have left SR
it's years old...and we have newer threads
on the use of Campral

As always....only your doctor and you can decide
what drugs ...if any....would best be suited to you.