Notices

3rd day sober...2nd night meeting...

Old 05-15-2006, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3rd day sober...2nd night meeting...

well here goes the 90 in 90. I seriously want it this time. Were all you guys nervous at first? almost anxiety and racing thoughts? some seem to have subsided on the 3rd day and im beginning to focus. Any thoughts on a few other withdrawls I got.

1.) loss of appetite
2.) broken sleep..not a full night yet
3.) just wishing I could be "calm" and only think about the good stuff!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

There is a wonderful thread on the top of this forum called Quitting What to Expect, Lakerfan. I think it will be very helpful for you!

Yes!!! I was extremely nervous - nervous of meetings, anxious, no appetite, craving sugar, bad sleep first few nights....you'll see it all set out in the quitting what to expect thread.

You're not alone and it's wonderful to have you here!

90 in 90 is pretty foolproof! Great decision, well done!

Cathy31
x
Old 05-15-2006, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there lakerfan, welcome back , great to see you , and yes to all the above LOL.

It gets better, believe me.

Good luck on your recovery journey

HUGX
Lee
Old 05-15-2006, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In another 24/48 hours you will have finished your
de tox.
Then comes the difficult time...learning how to stay sober.

That is where AA came into my life.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think 90 in 90 is a good idea. It's really important to find meetings you like. They are not all the same. Shop meetings. Find a good sponsor too, and don't be shy about changing sponsors if you don't hit it off with the first one you pick.

The sleep thing isn't so bad. Just pay attention to your body and go to bed when you're tired, even if it's something crazy like 8:30. I had the same thing, broken sleep. I found I was actually getting enough sleep if I went to bed when tired. I'd sleep 4-5 hours, wake up for an hour or two, and then sleep for another 2-3 hours. It gets better after awhile. And heck, even with the crazy sleep patterns, I still got up in the morning feeling better than I did when drinking.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Lakerfan!

We all began just where you are now. We also understand the "really wanting it" this time and only you will know that for sure. Just keep yourself busy and don't spend a lot of time where you can sit with your thoughts alone. Meetings are a definate step for success as you will begin to interact and meet others that connect with you in a way that not many can. There is definately something magical and very impactful for us going through recovery to meet others that seem to really, really understand not only where we were, but where we are and where we hope to get.

Hang in there and just take it one day at a time, or one hour at a time if you have to. You can do it if you are really ready and only you know that for sure. I, like many others, had to go all the way to the bottom and as I watched myself lose everything, (my job, my family, my self esteem and my will to live) I was happy and grateful that I somehow managed to get on a better road leading to a place called "recovery" instead of the road I was on which was going to a place called "nowhere."

Just start to invision the life you desire and pray for guidance and strength as you step forward. Before you know it, you will begin to see things begin to unfold for you, both internally and externally right before your eyes. It does take time but as you experience it you begin to appreciate it and also have understanding as to why the process feels so slow because you can see how much change has actually occured in your life and in you. If you are like me, you will feel "different" on the inside and I find that remarkable as I sometimes wonder, "How can I feel different?"

This is the first step into getting the kind of life you deserve and desire.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lakerfan, I second, third, forth, etc., what is above.

For me the sleep began to return to normal within about a week. The first few days were the hardest b/c of the sleep disruption which made me very edgy and hyper alert.

A lot of water and some walks were really helpful. The water washes the toxins out, the walks cleared my head, released the toxins and increased circulation so that the water could wash the toxins out.

Walking also helped with my appetite. It returned with a vengeance. I hadn't really enjoyed food for years. I simply ate periodically to ease the stomach pain so I could continue to drink. If I could have found a way around the stomach pain, who knows if I would have eaten when I drank. Your stomach is hurting and will return to normal... water and walking both help with that.

The anxiety wasn't a big issue for me. What I found was that I had a stress problem. So long as I had no stress I had no desire to drink. Literally, it was gone. Then when stress returned I began to have immense cravings, relapses, etc. Find ways to deal with the stressors, they will get to you.

Be gentle with yourself at all costs.

Levi
Old 05-16-2006, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

That is so cool, go to 180 in 90 if it does the trick, I know some of the AA people here have done three meetings in a day sometimes, they have said it helps just to talk and talk and talk and listen and cry.

Emotional, jittery, nervous, moody, unable to settle, no sleep ... all these things have been with me in recovery ... they got better for me, now I am really pretty mellow (in a good way).

love Brigid
Old 05-16-2006, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi paradox987!

I read your thread and wish you all the best as you move forward in your recovery, as well as lakerfan. The reason aa worked for me is by the time i agreed to go to an aa meeting that i had been "asked" to go to before and always found an excuse not to is because i was at the end of my rope. i lost my job, apartment and gave my kids to my brother and his wife to care for since i could not support them. eventually, over time as i sat in the pot of pity and despair i finally got so down and depressed that i HAD to do something...anything! i was really, really "tired of being tired" and i finally was able to admit to myself that i could not possibly get myself out of the mess i was in and that i was only kidding myself with my own ego and pride that i could as i had absolutely no foundation to even stand on.

i understand your thoughts about why all those individuals with so much clean time still go to aa meetings and your hope that you will be strong enough to do it on your own without the need of meetings. i have thought the same thing as well but i also see how "put together" these individuals seem to be with themselves. i also wonder what meetings would be like if there were ONLY NEWBIES with barely any clean time. how inspiring would that be for the rest of us that come through the door looking for a way to recovery?

seriously, thank god that some individuals stay involved as it is very very inspiring to see other individuals with "years" of clean time, devoting their time not only for their own recovery, but often to do service for others. it gives me a lot of hope and courage as i move forward in my recovery.

many of us have a hard time thinking about the thought of "not drinking for the rest of our life" and that is why we are told to just do it "one day at a time." that motto needs to be the way we look at mostly everything in our life whether it's the direction we are headed and where we hope to get to. if we keep looking too far in the future we will miss what is being laid out right in our present for us. just like putting your shoes on, do what is right in front of you and keep doing the "right thing" as you go forward. you will be surprised as to where you end up if you keep yourself in the present as you build your new life. most of the time the things we are hoping for don't come to us in the way we are "expecting" them anyway but they sneak up on us from a side door in a different way and we often say, "wow...i didn't expect that...and it is different then i expected, but...it's still good."

don't let the thought of others attending meetings "put you off" but allow it to inspire you as if you end up as one of them that means you will be SOBER and that is what counts the most in the end anyway, right?

good luck and know we are here for you both!
Old 05-16-2006, 09:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

One thing I remember vividly in the early stages of not drinking is the dreams. I went through all these things that I had innermost worries over. I dreamt about my old school friends and how they saw me, my family and they thought about me, some really random stuff that was just out of the blue, but then thinking about it, yep, it was stuff that had been brought about by my drinking alcohol. I think the dreams were ways for me to sort through this stuff and bring out things that I needed to deal with before I could move on. Interesting how we work through stuff whilst not conscious. A lot of these dreams could easily have been classed as nightmares for me.

Definitely remember that process vividly. The dreams changed from one issue to the next as I evidently worked through the stages of my alcoholism ... all part of my sleep patterns as well.

I dream different dreams now. This stuff just came to mind as I read about the sleeping patterns.

love Brigid
Old 05-16-2006, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by CarolD
Then comes the difficult time...learning how to stay sober.
Ah, but I digress! Staying sober (for me) is cake. It's living sober that's rough!

That is where AA came into my life.
I'm glad you're here to share, Carol.

Good luck to you, Lakerfan. Like Cathy said, the "What to Expect" thread is a good read. It sounds like what you're experiencing now is all pretty normal.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Lakerfan - how are you doing today?