Notices

help me please

Old 05-17-2006, 06:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Originally Posted by Iwanttobe1
I am terribly frightened about AA. Don't do well walking into groups of people I don't know. Maybe you could give me suggestions about how to handle my anxiety. I wish I had someone to go with. Is that possible?
I felt the same, so I got there exactly on time and sat quietly down the back the first time I went to a meeting. I used to always try to hide myself away, got very uptight about social things.

Is there a family member or friend, work mate who might go with you? I am sure that the person can just come with you for moral support and that they don't have to be an alcoholic to do that.

Something that I have placed firmly in my head when going through problems about social gatherings is that I will still be alive the next day, regardless of the whole experience, it will pass and I will still exist. That helped me get over a few hurdles.

love Brigid
Old 05-17-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You have NOTHING to fear at an AA meeting. Every last person there felt the same as you do now. They open their arms and their hearts. Its not like you are walking into a snooty country club where you should be afraid of admitting you arent as "classy" as the rest. They are there for the exact same reason you are. It is possible to go with others, but, you have to make that first step yourself. Show up early. There are usually people standing outside before the meeting smoking or chatting. Work yourself into a conversation and just be honest about why you are afraid or embarrassed. Im positive you will find someone who will take you under their wing and help you out. Once you get past that initial meeting,...you are golden.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
alconaut

((((Hugs)))) Iwanttobe1.... how did the meeting go?

Old 05-18-2006, 03:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iwanttobe1
I am terribly frightened about AA. Don't do well walking into groups of people I don't know. Maybe you could give me suggestions about how to handle my anxiety. I wish I had someone to go with. Is that possible?
In St. Louis we have something in AA called Bridging the Gap. It's a program to give rides to people who want to go to meetings but don't have a way to get there. You might try that.

Also, there should be a central office. If you call and talk to someone and leave your phone number, I'm sure someone will get back to you about attending a meeting with you.

Everybody LOVES new members. AA people are kind of crazy that way. We love to see someone new at a meeting. It helps everyone else with their own sobriety to see someone new who has made the decision to quit.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Aa

To everyone:

I finally got the nerve to attend and AA meeting. It was good. Everyone was friendly.

I'm on my way to sobriety.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Paused

That's terrific! There is a solution. Sobriety is definitely the answer to a better way of life.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Michael

Well done you. Let us know how you get on.
Michael