Notices

What do you believe?

Old 05-08-2006, 06:03 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

WOW.... This truly suports my understanding of "real alcoholics" This describes myself to a tee. I can take any topic and complicate it to death. I have been reading all this info. I actually college educated and some of the info could be misunderstood if not read very carefully...Anyway my point is ... If your are truly and alcoholic, the real, most important priority is how to get sober and stay sober. I know people who have gotten drunk over analyzing things like this. They say you can't be too " dumb" too get recovery but you can be too "smart" to get recovery. I enjoyed all the info though it was interesting reading... Could be very confusing and possiably harmful to newcomers Im afraid. I hope if you are a newcomer you have a sponsor or someone in recovery to talk to in person who has some quality sobriety. Love you all Debs
Old 05-08-2006, 11:11 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

They say you can't be too " dumb" too get recovery but you can be too "smart" to get recovery.
Eh, knowledge is power.

ould be very confusing and possiably harmful to newcomers Im afraid. I hope if you are a newcomer you have a sponsor or someone in recovery to talk to in person who has some quality sobriety.
Well for starters this wasn't posted in the Newcomers Forum, secondly this is the general forum for 'Alcoholism' not the AA forum. I never go reply when ppl promote AA again on here 'yeah this doesn't belong in this forum cuz it's confusing for newcomers' or whatever. All I can see is a quite polite discussion where ppl talk about the fact/opinions and not fall into ad hominem attacks, no problems really...apart from it not being one big AA worship thread...
Old 05-08-2006, 12:23 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Ouch.. BSPGirl ... Im sorry I wasn't trying to imply that AA was the only recovery program, If I came across that way then my appoligies to you and all the rest. I did say the reading was interesting. I did enjoy the info. It just reminded me of myself I believe I made reference to "ME" complicating things I didn't have to. Just an observation, nothing more. Not attacking anyone for their thoughts or opinions, just sharing mine, however useless they may be. I definantly do not have the cornor on recovery and don't pretend to. As for my comment about newcomers, they don't always stay in their "place" they do search around and read other sites. We can't keep them neatly tucked away in their own little cornor. I don't mean to offend you or anyone else. I was almost too smart to get recovery in any form when I got here. I was educated and thought I knew it all. I couldn't "hear" what people with sobriety were trying to tell me. Thats all I was trying to say. I am sorry If you felt attacked, my comments were aimed at myself not at anyone else. Love to everyone Debs
Old 05-08-2006, 12:39 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Debs, it's ok, thanks for explaining. Apologies accepted.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:46 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Thanks BSPGirl, I really don't like to feel that I have violated another person. I really do work hard in my daily life to not do that to others. Thanks for pointing out to me that I need to be careful how I say things in the future. My pledge to myself is "First do no harm" Love Debs
Old 05-08-2006, 12:55 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
and going nowhere fast.

DISEASE: Lack of ease; trouble.
That's straight from the dictionary. So whether it's brought on through genetics, social pressures, poor self esteem, or the "Booze Fairy", there's a strong case for calling it a disease. Of course, I myself don't have it. What I have is a drinking problem. Once I start I find that it takes all I've got to keep it from controlling me. Usually I lose the battle, and then at that point it turns into a like a disease. When I'm on the wagon, it's merely a problem I'm keeping in check and winning over. But alas, fall off that wagon again and it quickly becomes a disease again.
Right now, today, here, I'm back on the wagon and my problem is being held at bay. I gotta hold on tight though, for it's a bumpy ride and it's very easy to get thrown off. Whether I lose my grip because my hands are too weak to hold on or mentally I'm too weak and I let someone push me off, I've got to try my hardest to stay on.
That's how I see it in MY mind. Believe me, it's kinda wierd in there. Sorta hard to explain.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:15 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

My sponsor tells me that my mind is a dangerous place to go and I should never go there alone, always take my sponsor with me when I go there. lol I know how strange it can be lol I live it. lol. There will come a time in recovery when you are no longer running from the drink becouse it feels so bad but you are running toward serenity becouse it feels so good. Thats when you know you feel better. I promise it will happen if you just stay sober one more day. One day at a time. Love to you Debs
Old 05-09-2006, 11:47 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
and going nowhere fast.

Well put debsjsu. I'm afraid I'm still in the "running from rather than running toward" phase of recovery, but like you said, there will come a time....
Good food for thought. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Sometimes it helped me to stop thinking about "why" I was in recovery and just do it b/c I was there. It really helped me when I staeted getting to meetings early and talked to people, got to know them, and agreed to meet them outside of meetings for movies, bowling, hiking, picknicks, guitar sessions, ect... what ever they were doing sober together. Having sober fun with other sober people some how helps make the journey a lot easier. And it dosn't matter which program your working this will work with them all. Love to you Debs