Knucklehead

Where am I?

Day 7 - No alcohol

Day 1 - No pot

Knob
Old 04-13-2006, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

DK that is quite and ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!! Good for you!!!!

Most of you posting on these boards know that I am sober and clean many many ODAATs now, but there is something I need to express here, and I hope it comes out the way I mean it, roflmao.

I continue to be in AWE and absolutely AMAZED by you DK and people of your caliber, that keep trying and trying and trying. You all seem to have "stuff" left and "jobs" and "family", etc etc etc. It is just so inspiring to me to see people 'realizing" they have a problem and attempting to do something about it!!!!! at a much earlier stage than I had to take it to.

You see I didn't do that. I had to take this damn 'disease,' 'obsession,' 'mental problem', whatever you want to call it to the MAX. I had no concept of how to quit or even wanting to quit. Most of you know I had to die to get here. So be it. I just hope and pray that others, like yourself get the realization of where your choices are taking you.

I also noticed in another thread DK that you asked about the "social" aspects of AA. Let me share this, when I got sober and clean there was only AA that I knew of. When I got to AA I had already stopped. What the "fellowship" of AA did for me was 'show' me how to LIVE sober. I had no clue. So, I went to the "meetings after the meetings" in coffee shops where we talked about everything under the sun, not just sobriety and slowly made some friends. I went to "AA Dances." "AA Conventions." "AA picnics." As I made friends, we would go to dinner, or to a movie, and then one day, at about a year or so, went to a concert sober and clean, stayed sober and clean, and had an absolute ball of fun.

DK don't worry about the "differences" right now. Go to some meetings and just listen, pass if you want when asked to share. Get to know some of the sober and clean people. Worry about "the program" later, lol. Right now, some sober friends and companions will probably do more for you than anything else.

As I stayed around sober and clean people, the urges became less and less and would disappear for days at a time. I stayed busy with work, meetings, and fun with my new friends and before I knew it the days, weeks, and months began to mount up. Then and only then, was I able to start to work on the 'inner me' to resolve some of the issues that had started my decent into HELL.

DK please feel free to PM me anytime you need or want to, or IM me if need be, my MSN and ***** are both usually on.

All of the above is JMHO learned from my own experience. Hope it helps a bit.

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 04-13-2006, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Sentence

Thumbs up You are where you need to be.

It is hard at first, but hang on.

The promises of AA:
Hope instead of desperation,
Faith instead of despair,
Courage instead of fear,
Peace-of-mind instead of confusion,
Self-respect instead of self-contempt,
Self-confidence instead of helplessness,
Get respect instead of contempt and pity,
Clean conscious instead of guilt,
Real friendship instead of loneliness,
Clean life instead of purposelessness,
love of our families instead of doubts and fears,
freedom of a happy life instead of the bondage of alcohol and drugs.

HANG ON.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Good for you Doorknob! **{hugs}} You can do it. Keep your faith that there is a better life for you.

Suga
Old 04-13-2006, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Gggggggggggooooooooooooo On Son!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

with you in spirit dk
Old 04-13-2006, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

hey doorknob
sobriety most of the time seems like one long acid trip--i can deal with it so i recognize it--when and if you feel weird just go thru it--it happens--and i rarely listen to my head--or i personally would be nuts--lol--rule of thumb--i dismiss any negative thought, herein lies peace--iread that somewhere --works fairly well
Laura
Old 04-13-2006, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

"where am I?"

You are de toxing and
IMO at a turning point/

Yoir destiny might be to begin Agnostic AA in your area.
What a awesome idea DK

You have so much to offer others..and I bet you know how to make a pot of coffee!

Hugs....
Old 04-13-2006, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I have LOTS to say, but I'm just too tired. My nervous system wants "relief" soooooo bad, but it's not going to get it! Anyway, my brain feels fried, or maybe scrambled. Anyone care for an omlette?

DK
Old 04-13-2006, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

(((((((Knob)))))))) I, too, am very proud of you. It takes a lot of guts to keep coming back the way that you do. Don't give up until the 'miracle' happens!

(BTW--you are welcome to PM me anytime, too!)
Old 04-14-2006, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hi Laurie,

Originally Posted by laurie6781
DK that is quite and ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!! Good for you!!!!

Most of you posting on these boards know that I am sober and clean many many ODAATs now, but there is something I need to express here, and I hope it comes out the way I mean it, roflmao.

I continue to be in AWE and absolutely AMAZED by you DK and people of your caliber, that keep trying and trying and trying. You all seem to have "stuff" left and "jobs" and "family", etc etc etc. It is just so inspiring to me to see people 'realizing" they have a problem and attempting to do something about it!!!!! at a much earlier stage than I had to take it to.

You see I didn't do that. I had to take this damn 'disease,' 'obsession,' 'mental problem', whatever you want to call it to the MAX. I had no concept of how to quit or even wanting to quit. Most of you know I had to die to get here. So be it. I just hope and pray that others, like yourself get the realization of where your choices are taking you.
Thanks for the compliment. I've been trying on and off for about 5 years. Went to inpatient treatment about 4 years ago. Had atleast a few crazy experiences due to alcohol (losing my car with my dog in it is one that comes to mind), woke up a couple of times in the hospital, once with a broken collarbone and fractured rib due to a bike accident I don't remember), and had three DUI's over 14 years. I know what is good for me, but doing it is another story!

I also noticed in another thread DK that you asked about the "social" aspects of AA. Let me share this, when I got sober and clean there was only AA that I knew of. When I got to AA I had already stopped. What the "fellowship" of AA did for me was 'show' me how to LIVE sober. I had no clue. So, I went to the "meetings after the meetings" in coffee shops where we talked about everything under the sun, not just sobriety and slowly made some friends. I went to "AA Dances." "AA Conventions." "AA picnics." As I made friends, we would go to dinner, or to a movie, and then one day, at about a year or so, went to a concert sober and clean, stayed sober and clean, and had an absolute ball of fun.

DK don't worry about the "differences" right now. Go to some meetings and just listen, pass if you want when asked to share. Get to know some of the sober and clean people. Worry about "the program" later, lol. Right now, some sober friends and companions will probably do more for you than anything else.
I do have some experience with AA/NA, both in Montana and in Washington. It brings about conflicting feelings for me. Relief to be with other like people, but frustrated with the religious/spiritual orientation, and how much of the meetings are centered around the premis of divine intervention. I usually enjoyed the coffee afterwards more than anything else. Of course that was frustrating too because they would sit in the smoking section and I'm allergic to nicotine. Of course in WA, that will no longer be a problem.

As I stayed around sober and clean people, the urges became less and less and would disappear for days at a time. I stayed busy with work, meetings, and fun with my new friends and before I knew it the days, weeks, and months began to mount up. Then and only then, was I able to start to work on the 'inner me' to resolve some of the issues that had started my decent into HELL.

DK please feel free to PM me anytime you need or want to, or IM me if need be, my MSN and ***** are both usually on.

All of the above is JMHO learned from my own experience. Hope it helps a bit.

Love and (((((to all))))),
Thanks again Laurie. I'm clean and sober and off to work!

DK (Paul)
Old 04-14-2006, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

door knob, cliches are ace at this stage of recovery I think. Here are some that I can never do without:

Responsibility for my emotions and behaviours.

One day at a time, just think about from now until bed.

Its easier to do something than not do something...

A routine for the day keeps the doctor away (made that one up)

live and let live.

be kind to myself

dont dwell on the past (or the future)

there is a direction, move toward it...
Old 04-14-2006, 04:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by gringo
It is hard at first, but hang on.

The promises of AA:
Hope instead of desperation,
Faith instead of despair,
Courage instead of fear,
Peace-of-mind instead of confusion,
Self-respect instead of self-contempt,
Self-confidence instead of helplessness,
Get respect instead of contempt and pity,
Clean conscious instead of guilt,
Real friendship instead of loneliness,
Clean life instead of purposelessness,
love of our families instead of doubts and fears,
freedom of a happy life instead of the bondage of alcohol and drugs.

HANG ON.
Thank you Gringo, and welcome to SR. I would hope recovery offers those things regardless of what path one takes to arrive there. Did you write that or is it out of some of the literature? I like it.

DK
Old 04-14-2006, 04:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Sugasnaps
Good for you Doorknob! **{hugs}} You can do it. Keep your faith that there is a better life for you.

Suga
Thank you Suga!!

DK
Old 04-14-2006, 04:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Five
with you in spirit dk
Thanks Five. I wish I could beam over there and have a cup of coffee with ya!

DK
Old 04-14-2006, 05:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by rose petals
hey doorknob
sobriety most of the time seems like one long acid trip--i can deal with it so i recognize it--when and if you feel weird just go thru it--it happens--and i rarely listen to my head--or i personally would be nuts--lol--rule of thumb--i dismiss any negative thought, herein lies peace--iread that somewhere --works fairly well
Laura
Hi Laura,

Interesting premis. Doorknob know's I've done my share of that stuff. I'll just tell myself "Don't be scared, it's just life".

DK
Old 04-14-2006, 05:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Where am I?

Originally Posted by doorknob
Day 7 - No alcohol

Day 1 - No pot

Knob

You are seven day away from booze and one day away from pot. Hopefully by this time tomorrow you'll be one more day than today.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
On a tear

DK... good news, glad to hear it.

... and I just LOVE those smoke free meeting rooms - gotta tell ya. (And as a former smoker, I can commiserate with those poor fools standing out in the rain... and trying to figure out how to triangulate a spot 25 feet from any public doorway... grin, but I do love it!).

Spring is here and summer is coming, and you are in one of the more beautiful spots here in God's.... er, DOORKNOB'S country. (smile)

Hope today continues to go well....sending "good thoughts" (((((Doorknob))))
Old 04-14-2006, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by CarolD
Your destiny might be to begin Agnostic AA in your area.
What a awesome idea DK

You have so much to offer others..and I bet you know how to make a pot of coffee!

Hugs....
It's a great idea Carol, but I don't think it would fly here. After I got out of treatment several years ago, I tried really really hard to start a LifeRing meeting here, and I just couldn't get it to fly. And I tried a second time more recently, although maybe not as hard as the first time, with about the same results. Maybe a meeting bearing the AA name would be better received by this community, even though the philosophy of AgnosticAA is the same as LifeRing (except LifeRing is more like NA, in that it is non substance specific). Honestly though, this is a very religious community, and if people want to go to a meeting, their probably fine with traditional AA/NA. But... I may try again. I can be pretty hard headed sometimes!

DK
Old 04-14-2006, 07:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob
I do have some experience with AA/NA, both in Montana and in Washington. It brings about conflicting feelings for me. Relief to be with other like people, but frustrated with the religious/spiritual orientation, and how much of the meetings are centered around the premis of divine intervention.
I had a lot of those conflicting feelings too knob. There came a time though when I finally made the choice of whether to go on the way I was going, or decide to find a belief that I could live with and be comfortable. I have done that. Simply, I just believe that there's something more powerful than I. For the sake of simplicity, I call this "something" God, only because most people identify with some kind of "god." I can sit and talk to people about God and never have to define or describe my belief to them, but we can at least hold a conversation. It works for me. I'm not religious in so far as subscribing to any particular doctrin. I just believe there's something. I bolster my belief with the idea that if "man" is the most powerful force, we're all in trouble.