Notices

Sexual abuse in AA a serious problem

Old 04-25-2006, 05:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree, Peter. Always has been, always will be. Lots of wolves in sheeps clothing out there in the fellowship.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
where the livin' is easy

Originally Posted by doorknob
I looked at someone's profile the other day, and it said they were a hundred and something!
Good clean living results in longevity!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
where the livin' is easy

When I first came to AA I was sexually abused--I wanted sex and the women all ignored me!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clark
When I first came to AA I was sexually abused--I wanted sex and the women all ignored me!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally Posted by Peter
appears a little too much like mudslinging....
Yup, no purpose as I see it. Sexual abuse is a problem EVERYWHERE... get with the program.. oops..
Old 04-25-2006, 06:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clark
HA HA
Old 04-25-2006, 07:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I had many more incidents when I was drunk in bars
than ever happened to me sober in AA.

No attacks or abuse...just jerks!!...

Last edited by CarolD; 04-26-2006 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Tupos
Old 04-26-2006, 01:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well this doesn't make AA a bad organization in my eyes, I mean you could easily replace AA for SMART, I even got hit on in their chatroom once, it didn't bother me too much but I can see how it bothers ppl, there are always rotten apples, everywhere.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
BitSizeDayz

Here in za we also have the 13steppers and some do get out of hand. But we do sort them out very quikly so that not to much damage can take place.

If the ladies fell they cant handle it we also have ladies only groups in most our major centers in ZA

This seams to help a lot
Old 04-26-2006, 05:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

you need a) control group and b) evidence that the level is higher than the control group. Tricky.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

From my own two something years in AA - I found the level of sexual energy as normal as anywhere else in the world. there was one character who had a reputation for being a threat to the ladies and that was it. One amongst thousands. AA is not a safe heaven for sexual predators in my opinon, and if it does happen it has nothing to do with AA itself, but with the individuals involved.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:52 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

hmmmm--
i think why it concerned me is the lifestyle they are claiming to live in the 12 steps and then taking advantage of people--drunks in bars and people in other places arent touting a upstanding way of life and then going against it causing confusion--except chuirches and that--the thing with aa is many times peoples lifes are quite literally in our hands and they are so fragile in the state they come in and we present the program for living and be hypocritical--thats the sad thing --we need to watch for these people and warn people or say something laura
Old 04-26-2006, 06:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hmmm,Laura,you say,many times peoples lifes are quite literally in our hands?I respectfully disagree.If i thought this way,i would never ever share with another alcohloic again.I would be to scared to,.I cant put myself on that hill-top.I share with another alcoholic,the results of that are not in my hand.There have been times where the newcomer has put me on a hill-top,but i soon let them know thats,not where i belong.Im one alcoholic,sharring with another alcoholic.Churches are no place for saints,for none are in there.Its a hospital for sinners,who come together in fellowship to pray and praise God.We strive,,,,we strive,to be examples.Some are sicker than others.Thats a fact,of life on lifes terms.We are not reliant upon people,but a Higher Power. Ianything is going to mess up AA its people,not AA itself.If another is warned about sick, behaviour,but that person has changed,what happens?To each their own on this one.But i personally wont brand another.But i will have a chat with them...
Old 04-26-2006, 08:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rose petals
hmmmm--
i think why it concerned me is the lifestyle they are claiming to live in the 12 steps and then taking advantage of people--drunks in bars and people in other places arent touting a upstanding way of life and then going against it causing confusion--except chuirches and that--the thing with aa is many times peoples lifes are quite literally in our hands and they are so fragile in the state they come in and we present the program for living and be hypocritical--thats the sad thing --we need to watch for these people and warn people or say something laura
People pretending to be what they aren't is as old as the first slimy thing that crawled out of the ocean, and some of these jerks still resemble those slimy things!

Just think of that BTK killer. That guy was like a deacon in his church or something like that.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

hey grasshopper
you are right --it is ultimately in gods hands--that you are--i guess what im trying to say is, for example i came in so fragile and just a complete wreck --i trusted wholeheartedly--i guess that was my own naitve(sp)--i was such a wreck that when i saw what some people were doing in there it really threw me for a loop--now i feel more balnced so i can live with it--i guessi couldnt understand why some would tout this program then do the opposite--i never talk about aa and that unless im honestly doing it--i dont know--guess your right--because of how i felt i figured everyone does--you take care
Old 04-26-2006, 11:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yup can understand.Threw me to.Big time.For i too trusted wholeheartly,everybody,and it was --because --they are in recovery program,that i automatically did this.Painful lesson,for me,..I,stick with the folks who are talking,the talk,and walking the walk.,from that experience.Because some are just not,trustworthy servants.Saying one thing but their actions are doing something else.Beats me,i dont get it,but have accepted it.Folks are folks where ever i go...It was my expectations of others,that caused my pain.I can see that today.
all da best of the best,
Old 04-26-2006, 11:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

hey grasshopper
yes i definetely agree with you--you put it more eloquently than i do--lol--you take care
laura
thanks helping me to see that
Old 04-26-2006, 01:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yuuuuuup!!! AA has all kinds of questionable folks coming in and going out. Pot heads, coac heads, crack heads, queers, hookers, womanizers, and especially drunks. That's why the book says "WE AREN'T SAINTS." Too bad there just isn't a way to screen people so we could get only the "good" ones. We might even be able to weed out some of those other unsavory characters like Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and people from other countries like Canada.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:00 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music
We might even be able to weed out some of those other unsavory characters like ... people from other countries like Canada.
Gaaaaaaaaa!
Old 04-26-2006, 03:07 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

well, read the papers
for sexual abuse
at half the worl's top corporations
not to mention
police departments, fire deppatments
and
heh, heh, the Board of education
as in NYC