Notices

Two weeks sober, now what?

Old 04-24-2006, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two weeks sober, now what?

As stated, I have had two weeks (yay) without a drink, and without too many withdrawal problems. I have been taking Librium which has helped a lot, but just wondering if anyone has an experience to share when I stop the benzos. I am planning on asking the doc for a permanent anti-anxiety treatment afterwards (I have always had an anxiety problem). Any advice would help with the meds. I don't want to take more chemicals than I need, but going back to alcohol would not be a good thing. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sharky, congratulations on your sober time ! Well done.
I am unable to help you with advice re the meds, but I am sure someone will be along to help you soon.

HUGX
Lee
Old 04-24-2006, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

you might want to try AA, just a thought.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Hey Sharkey, congrats on your two weeks!! I think your question is best delt with your doctor. Make sure you are very honest with him/her about your substance abuse. They really can't help you if they don't have the whole picture. Anxiety is a REAL problem, of course, as you know, drinking is not the best solution to it. I would encourage you to talk to your doctor and think about making an appointment with a theripist. Dealing with anxiety and depression often requires more than just a pill. There are methods you can learn to manage your anxiety. Maybe you will need some help from medication, maybe you can learn methods to manage it without. Either way, you are still better off than drinking to manage your issues. Take care.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time! Now that you are sober, some of the anxiety will lessen. I had anxiety problems before drinking too but when I started drinking, it only intensified the problem. Cutting out the booze helped tremendously.

I'm sure you and your doc can work out something that will help you.

Keep moving forward!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice job on 2 weeks.

AA works for me, but there are a number of programs out there. Find one and work it.

There's a world of difference between not drinking and recovery. That's why people coming out of detox are dry, but not "recovered."

For me, I have a thinking and living problem, not a drinking problem -- again, AA is my choice, and has worked for me for 18 months.

Ken
Old 04-25-2006, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

Congratulations on 2 weeks!

You can not imagine the changes your body is going through at this time. It can take several months to restore itself to it's natural chemical balance. I highly suggest remaining vigilant in your sobriety and staying in close contact with your doctor to find the right balance of medications to address your anxiety. Even though you're not experienacing any physical withdrawal your body is still adjusting and it's common to feel hieghtend anxiety during this time. Follow your doctors advice during this transition stage. You'll be okay.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, Chy you are right about the physical changes. In just two weeks, I have been able to function better, especially with sleeping patterns. I can wake up a WHOLE lot faster now without being hung over. Also, not drinking does help with anxiety in the terms that I don't have to worry about going to work smelling like booze or if everyone is wondering if I am hungover or still drunk from last night. I have been taking vitamins B6 and B12 (don't know why, I think I heard they are good supplements for detox). Does anyone know of any other supplements that may have therapeutic value?