Notices

Watch the benzos

Old 04-22-2006, 03:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Watch the benzos

I started off with 50 mg/ every 4-6 hours of Librium, wasn't happy with the side effects. (It does, however help with anxiety and sleeplessness). Told my doc I wanted to change meds, he gave me .5 mg Xanax 3 times a day. The one day that I took the Librium and the Xanax together KNOCKED ME ON MY ASS!!. Went back to the doc, he reduced my Librium dose to 10 mg every 4-6 hours, and that has been just about perfect. The benzos have helped a lot (I haven't had a drink for just under 2 weeks), but I do worry about getting dependent on them. I had tried to quit drinking before, but my biggest problem was insomnia, and the Librium helps with that. It has it's pros and cons. I found that I am better off not taking anything during the day (it will drag you down), just take it before you are ready for bed.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sharky, how long will you be taking these? Have you discussed it with your doctor? Have you made a plan to taper off of them (sounds like if you are no longer taking anything during the day that maybe you are tapering).

I agree, you don't want to trade addictions. I went through hell to get sober and I would hate to be a slave to any substance today.

Congratulations on the almost 2 weeks! Keep up the great work!
Kellye